12inch macbook 2016

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
Post Reply
gomi
Posts: 1133
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:29 pm
Location: earth

12inch macbook 2016

Post by gomi » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:30 pm

anyone using one? or running ableton on one for fun? i am looking to get a new laptop.. mostly for webdev/code but it would be nice if I could also run ableton reasonably. I have a big multicore desktop machine already for heavy lifting, so I don't mind freezing tracks etc..

just wondering if anyone else has tried running ableton on one of these and noticed any gotchas? specifically the m7 variant..

I'll probably wait to see if they bump them again when they update the rest.. but I am really drawn to the super portable size.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: 12inch macbook 2016

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:53 pm

They just bumped the specs in April so I highly doubt they are going to do it again in a couple months when the rest are expected.

gomi
Posts: 1133
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:29 pm
Location: earth

Re: 12inch macbook 2016

Post by gomi » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:11 pm

beats me wrote:They just bumped the specs in April so I highly doubt they are going to do it again in a couple months when the rest are expected.
no, but they might lower the price, when they axe the macbook airs, and put the macbook in their place on the ladder.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: 12inch macbook 2016

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:16 pm

Interesting theory, and not the first time I've heard it, but I think a lot of people are going to be upset if the only options are the beefy Pros and 1 underpowered single port lightweight Macbook. Still, Apple shouldn't still have non-retina laptops in their lineup and that would explain killing the airs and they probably can't think of a pricing structure for so many options that makes sense.

gomi
Posts: 1133
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:29 pm
Location: earth

Re: 12inch macbook 2016

Post by gomi » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:24 pm

beats me wrote:Interesting theory, and not the first time I've heard it, but I think a lot of people are going to be upset if the only options are the beefy Pros and 1 underpowered single port lightweight Macbook. Still, Apple shouldn't still have non-retina laptops in their lineup and that would explain killing the airs and they probably can't think of a pricing structure for so many options that makes sense.
when the air first came out, they still had the plastic macbook.. so the air was expensive (more expensive then a 13inch macbook pro actually iirc)
then they dumped the plastic macbooks and lowered the price on the airs..

this is why i suspect something similar will happen..

maybe not a huge price drop, but enough under a 13inch macbook pro to make it appear like you are getting your moneys worth...

i know they won't be super powerful.. but like I said, i won't be power composing on the thing, i have a heavy lifter at home for that..


but you are right, they probably won't bump the specs again.. but if I can get it for $200 to $300 less if I wait a month, then thats fine :)

doghouse
Posts: 1445
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:30 pm

Re: 12inch macbook 2016

Post by doghouse » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:33 pm

I can tell you I was running Live 8 just fine on a 2010 MacBook Pro 13"...dual core, not even an i3 back then...and it was fine. A 2016 MB is like a supercomputer next to that. If you can live with the small screen you should be OK.

gomi
Posts: 1133
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:29 pm
Location: earth

Re: 12inch macbook 2016

Post by gomi » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:57 pm

doghouse wrote:I can tell you I was running Live 8 just fine on a 2010 MacBook Pro 13"...dual core, not even an i3 back then...and it was fine. A 2016 MB is like a supercomputer next to that. If you can live with the small screen you should be OK.
cool
Thanks, I did a bunch of geek bench compares to a older one I used to have too.. so I think it will work out.

Post Reply