USB mic only playable through mic's headphones

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Accumulus

USB mic only playable through mic's headphones

Post by Accumulus » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:22 am

Model is AT(audio-technica)2020 cardioid condenser microphone.

I have ASIO and ASIO4ALL v2 setup and my mic set up in the hardware settings. When I recorded and tried to play back the audio from my laptop I wasn't getting any sound out. The model of microphone I have has a headphone jack and a headphone playback option so I tried listening through there and I can hear my recording. But how can I get it so I can hear my output from my computer, not my mic? I can change the output mode in Audacity and then hear my recordings, but I can't figure out how to do so in Ableton. I've tried changing playback option to my laptop's speakers in Control Panel and that didn't work. I also tried disabling the mic's "audio out" in the hardware settings.

slatepipe

Re: USB mic only playable through mic's headphones

Post by slatepipe » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:17 am

i'm not 100% sure but i think it is this :

it's something to do with your usb mic and the fact that it essentially has its own soundcard within it. using ASIO4ALL you can only use one soundcard and your computer has defaulted to that

i had the same issue a few years back when i was using a usb mic too, i managed to sort something out using jack audio and get both soundcards to work at the same time, but i found it quite tricky to sort out : http://www.jackaudio.org/

cheers

yur2die4

Re: USB mic only playable through mic's headphones

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:35 am

Actually, asio4all aggregates all audio devices.

When you are using asio drivers, Windows settings do not change which device is your default. You have to go into configure and then click the wrench to turn on/off ins and outs you want to use.

Then your Master out will be 1/2 or 2/3 or whatever. On that you would choose whatever your computer soundcard is.