Ableton for beginners?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
ColonelBrownie

Ableton for beginners?

Post by ColonelBrownie » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:10 am

Hi all!

I've just began working in a college teaching music technology and I am hoping to change the colleges DAW from the current Cubase to Ableton. I'm just looking for some feedback and insight into whether or not it would be an advantageous and gainful change.

Cheers!

Richie Witch

Re: Ableton for beginners?

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:12 pm

This is a tough question to answer, but here are some things to consider:

Ableton's workflow is much different than nearly any other DAW. Because it began life as a performance tool and was, over time, expanded into a full-featured DAW, design decisions have been made over time that give Live its unique workflow. That being said, the skills learned using Ableton will not transfer easily to other DAWs.

However, Ableton is consistently ranked as one of the most-used DAWs in the world. For example, it has taken the number 1 or 2 spot in MusicRadar's reader survey at least three years in a row (the newest survey is in progress now).

Maybe the best way to answer this question then is to consider the future track of the students passing through the curriculum. If the intention is to put them in the engineer's chair at a recording studio, Ableton might not be the best choice. If you are teaching musicians to produce music, Ableton would be perfect.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:41 pm

Richie's last sentence is exactly what I was going to say.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:09 pm

Yep, it depends on the application and what the focus of the curriculum is.

I briefly taught at a well-known for-profit institute in their audio department and they used Pro Tools for pretty much everything. While I personally only use Pro Tools if I have to I do think that it's a good a choice for a music technology curriculum because the skills students will learn working with it can transfer to most other DAWs but they will have the added advantage of having learned on the platform that is still most widely used in the industry when they go out to look for jobs.

That said, if this were a more composition-focused curriculum then I would absolutely go with Live, and would especially make sure the computers had M4L and Max installed as well. M4L can turn Live into a very powerful environment for teaching synthesis and signal processing from the ground up.
Unsound Designer

AAdel

Post by AAdel » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:05 am

Well, I can give you some ideas as a trainer of both softwares:

1- Cubase is a fantastic option for complex, orchestral and full detail production, recording and mixing.

2- Ableton Live is the best tool for manipulating sounds and effects, electronic music and loop based production in 4/4 time signature, performing and being used as a live rig.

Hope it helps you. :)
Adel Al Agha ???? ?? ???
Singer, Music Producer & Trainer
https://radionama.com