Moving from NY...need recommendation!!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
EasyWorkflow

Moving from NY...need recommendation!!

Post by EasyWorkflow » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:40 pm

Hello Friends,

I live right outside of NYC and realize it's a great music city. But due to cost of living expenses, I have decided to move.

Anyone familiar with the downtown area of Denver Colorado called LODO as happening music scene? Cost of living is almost 50% less than NYC.

Thanks

beats me

Re: Moving from NY...need recommendation!!

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:58 pm

Low cost of living usually means lower paying local jobs as well. The US doesn’t allow a middle class.

EasyWorkflow

Post by EasyWorkflow » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:36 pm

I am disabled and live on social security disability. So the amount I receive ever month does not change regardless of where you are living. I just need to move to a cheaper area of country that has great music scene with a lower cost of living. I was already online and rentals were 3o to 40% less than where I am living now. Hope that makes sense. I am not sold on downtown Denver and was told Austin is another area to consider.

If anyone has a better area to live for musicians with a vibrant music scene, please let me know. I am approved for medical marijuana (MMJ) in NY which has most stringent rules in country ] due to my injuries/illnesses. So the state must also have MMJ or be legal.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:15 am

Seattle or Portland area, heck, anywhere in the Pacific Northwest.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:54 pm

Tarekith wrote:Seattle or Portland area, heck, anywhere in the Pacific Northwest.
+1

Denver is pretty cool. I lived in Colorado Springs for about 4 years and used to head up to Denver fairly often. I loved it there, but if I had my choice right now... I'd be driving the packed U-Haul to Portland.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:38 pm

prices are rising fast in portland

Dillinger63

Post by Dillinger63 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:56 pm

How about the Nashville TN area?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:06 pm

Dillinger63 wrote:How about the Nashville TN area?
I just saw a post from someone on FB saying how the scene in Nashville has gentrified in the last couple of years and gotten kind of "corporate."

Personally, I love the town I live in (Denton, TX). It's a got a great indie music scene with a small-town vibe but it's also next to two of the largest cities in the US.

The "scene" is a big discussion these days among the local music crowd. People are buying up bars and starting new businesses and some in the scene feel they are going to make it "corporate" like what's happened in other cities.
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:51 pm

stringtapper wrote:
Dillinger63 wrote:How about the Nashville TN area?
I just saw a post from someone on FB saying how the scene in Nashville has gentrified in the last couple of years and gotten kind of "corporate."

Personally, I love the town I live in (Denton, TX). It's a got a great indie music scene with a small-town vibe but it's also next to two of the largest cities in the US.

The "scene" is a big discussion these days among the local music crowd. People are buying up bars and starting new businesses and some in the scene feel they are going to make it "corporate" like what's happened in other cities.

It’s marauding young entrepreneurs killing the local scene and cost of living wherever they go. Soon as they get wind that someplace might be cool they move there and destroy the long established culture. I’d also liken it to the 1849 CA gold rush. Not a lot of miners getting rich. It was the local services industry supporting them that was making a killing.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:14 pm

MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:10 pm

The further irony is musicians used to move to LA if they wanted that commercial sound and success. Musicians who frowned on that would stay put to support and grow the local sound and scene, but many who would fall into that group now move to LA because they can still be creative and afford to live there and there is a vibrant and diverse creative scene as a result.

channelite

Post by channelite » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:14 pm

Denver is really cold in the winter. Plus side you'd be really close to the best ski mountains in the world. In NYC, did you have a car? Defiantly need one in Denver.