Any Solo artists waiting on new 2016 Mac Book Pro

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
EasyWorkflow

Any Solo artists waiting on new 2016 Mac Book Pro

Post by EasyWorkflow » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:46 pm

Hello friends,

I had both a 2009 apple MacBook Pro laptop which passed away 6 months ago and a 2009 Imac on last leg so I had to purchase a new Imac. Went balls out and bought 4GHZ, 32GB ram and 1TB SSD drive unit. . The home computer I think needs the most processing power especially when writing tracks having multiple instances of Serum or Omnisphere open. Very CPU intensive.

I tend to keep computers for as long as possible years so I try to max out the specs. The laptop will be used for live performance and have many soft synths including Komplete Ultimate 11, Arturia V collection, Omnisphere 2, Trillian, Serum and heavy CPU intensive synths. I play wireless MIDI guitar synth so main reason for using laptop live is to control all the soft synths. This would be in a 4 piece band with laptop going into PA and guitar into amp. . Very cool to mix analog & MIDI tones or use separately.

I will also be doing a solo gig so I will have Push 2, APC-40 and a Roland Handsonics connected to laptop and guitar going into TC electronic VL3E going direct to PA. Laptop also direct into PA or mixer than PA. . I may use the looper in VL3E or looper in Ableton if I become proficient enough to use Ableton in a live situation because the guitar synth application is easy. Using Ableton with Push and other devices plus internal software looper, launching backing tracks, etc seems like a HUGE learning curve & daunting task which gets me nervous. The last thing a musician needs is to be nervous onstage. When playing in 4 piece blues/funk/rock band, if laptop craps, no biggie as all I lost is my MIDI guitar and can get by playing analog guitar.

Sorry for digressing.

So question is I better off getting a new 2015 macbookpro after new model is released because of the drastic price discounts to be found? . Better yet, go on Ebay and you can pick one up for $1000 less than cost. The other reason I am considering this possibility is because I have a powerhouse computer for home use. . I do not know type of CPU or amount of ram needed for a live situation. I can almost get two new 2015 MacBook Pros for price of a new loaded model. If I went with slightly used 2015 , I can definitely get two for price of new one which would allow a backup on stage.

Thanks for advice.

Any advice much appreciated.

cpyatak

Re: Any Solo artists waiting on new 2016 Mac Book Pro

Post by cpyatak » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:23 pm

Check out Mac Refurbs from the Apple store. I think for your needs, you'll be able to find an older MBP at a significant discount, and they come as good as new. If you're aching for the newest and willing to spend for it, go ahead. But I bought my first MBP a couple years ago this way, got it for about 50-60% of new cost, and it has been absolutely flawless. I get nervous about the idea of buying a computer "used."

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Check it.

CP

EasyWorkflow

Re: Any Solo artists waiting on new 2016 Mac Book Pro

Post by EasyWorkflow » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:34 pm

Thanks CP. I am with you about buying used. Refurbished is way to go and deals will be happening once that new unit is released. I decided to buy a $1200- $1500 refurbished laptop and wait another year or so to upgrade to new one. The refurbished laptop will become my backup at gigs.

Good looking out.

Thanks