ADVICE on SSD

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
micksmuse

ADVICE on SSD

Post by micksmuse » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:49 am

so i have to change computers and live in states and just like the doubled warranty of costco.
they offer some dell's xps with 2TB HDD and 256 GB SSD with 32 GB RAM

plan on adding another HDD for back ups.

i know there are way better SSD's available but i don't have the bucks to go and build my own machine or expertise.
trying to find out if something like the above will be adequate for running primarily ableton live 9 suite for
my projects (not professional work).

Tarekith

Re: ADVICE on SSD

Post by Tarekith » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:49 am

Hard to say exactly without knowing the specs for sure, but I would think that would be more than enough for running Live. At least from a hard drive perspective.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

micksmuse

Post by micksmuse » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:00 pm

my understanding is to put operating system, vst's and programs (like ableton) on the SSD and then to save files onto the HDD. is that correct?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:22 pm

micksmuse wrote:my understanding is to put operating system, vst's and programs (like ableton) on the SSD and then to save files onto the HDD. is that correct?
yep.

if you do it that way, 265 should be plenty of space.

you can also tell Live to store its library on the HDD during the installation. you need to choose the custom install option if you decide to go that route.

micksmuse

Post by micksmuse » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:34 pm

H20nly wrote:
micksmuse wrote:my understanding is to put operating system, vst's and programs (like ableton) on the SSD and then to save files onto the HDD. is that correct?
yep.

if you do it that way, 265 should be plenty of space.

you can also tell Live to store its library on the HDD during the installation. you need to choose the custom install option if you decide to go that route.

so the packs with instrument samples that i get from ableton should be on the sdd as well as a slew of MIDI drum things from groovemonkey and then the files that i create from songs should be on the HDD?

downfader

Post by downfader » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:33 pm

I'm now using the Dell XPS 15 with the 512gb SSD. Seems a lot more fluid to me and felt it was worth the upgrade. If you get the chance to add in an SSD later then go for the Samsung or Sandisk ones as they seem optimised for video editors who are moving lots of big files at once similar to how we do the same with audio in Live.

U.G.U.R

Post by U.G.U.R » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:35 pm

hello everyone. I bought 480 gb ssd harddrive. But ı am not sure how ı can keep my sample pack or libraryi VST etc... I didnt decided yet.

I am thinking that I keep on my all VST( ı used too many- Omnisphere, Trilian, Dune, serum, too many:)) in my SSD harddrive, but for my sample pack, ı didnt think the same.

Do you guys have a good advice for it? I need that advice too much.

Thank you all from now..