Upgrade time!

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
Pipsicle

Upgrade time!

Post by Pipsicle » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:02 pm

Hi

I used qBase years ago, and recently decided to get back into music. I have been evaluating various DAWs solutions. I am PC based and having asked around I have been leaning toward Abelton as my choice. I grabbed a copy of Light with a M-audio keyboard I got a bit back, so have had a bit of time to get a feel for the software.

I am now at the point where I need to get a full version of either Standard or Suite.

I have looked closely at the comparison chart, but just wanted to get advice from you guys as to whether a relive newbie link myself should go to Standard or shell out the extra £160 for the Suite version.

Input would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Pip

Stromkraft

Re: Upgrade time!

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:45 am

Pipsicle wrote:
I am now at the point where I need to get a full version of either Standard or Suite.

I have looked closely at the comparison chart, but just wanted to get advice from you guys as to whether a relive newbie link myself should go to Standard or shell out the extra £160 for the Suite version.
See the recent discussion Suite or Standard + 3rd Party
Make some music!

Pipsicle

Post by Pipsicle » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:53 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Pipsicle wrote:
See the recent discussion Suite or Standard + 3rd Party
Thanks for the pointer.

Looks like a lot is down to taste as much as anything else.

There seems to be so much stuff out there in bundles and whatnots. Ultimately I don't want to end up spending all my time chasing the latest or best sounds rather then getting on and making music.

Reading the thread, it would seem that as Suite has Max4Live included it may well be worth going for that option while the 20% off offer is on. Other people seem to be keen on Komplete, although my experience of some of their hardware has been less than how can I say, confidence building.!

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:24 am

Pipsicle wrote:Hi

I used qBase years ago, and recently decided to get back into music. I have been evaluating various DAWs solutions. I am PC based and having asked around I have been leaning toward Abelton as my choice. I grabbed a copy of Light with a M-audio keyboard I got a bit back, so have had a bit of time to get a feel for the software.

Input would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Pip

I'd evaluate whether you will be using Live exclusively. Suite is pretty much just the synths, extra Packs, and M4L. M4L is IMO the biggest thing you'd be missing out. If you have a lot of synths already, Suite probably won't add much.

Pipsicle

Post by Pipsicle » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:10 am

jlgrimes wrote:
I'd evaluate whether you will be using Live exclusively. Suite is pretty much just the synths, extra Packs, and M4L. M4L is IMO the biggest thing you'd be missing out. If you have a lot of synths already, Suite probably won't add much.
That's really helpful input. No I don't have many synths, just the odd retro one and freebie that I have downloaded to experiment with. So I guess Suite would be a good way to start with a stock of instruments available + Sampler.