Big EDM producers' age

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Big EDM producers' age

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:54 pm

I know there are some relative kids in the mix but Deadmau5's 35 years of age and Diplo's 38 makes my 44-year-old ass feel somewhat less shut out. Kaskade is my exact same age but I feel like he's been around forever so I'm not surprised by that.

I thought I might have to go back to Sasha or Paul Oakenfeld for some comfort and that would just be sad. :|

H20nly

Re: Big EDM producers' age

Post by H20nly » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:04 am

i just had the same thing happen with hip hop. i got the new A Tribe Called Quest album earlier this week and I found yesterday that De La Soul had one too... and bought it. both of them are phenomenal... while staying true to their roots and yet updated at the same time.

it can be done.

chaibuka

Post by chaibuka » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:29 am

Today at work I made reference to Bill Murray in Stripes and another reference to Chariots of Fire. The younger generation never heard of it and the older generation can't remember anything. Sheesh!!!

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:24 pm

i'm hitting 50 next year 8O

last week in the pub i was talking to two younger fellers who i work with. i mentioned depeche mode and neither of them had ever fucking heard of them. and one of them actually lives in Basildon.

everything is fucked :x

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:25 pm

When I was 18 in 1988 my Mum used to listen stuff from her teenage years (1965) , but to me this seemed like the most outdated crap ever.

1988-1965 = 23 years

What's the modern equivalent of old out of date music?
2016-23 = 1993

Lets look back at the ancient year of 1993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYPoahCwOxk
That's a RETROSPECTIVE in 1993 of the last 5 years of the acid house scene !!

or my absolute favourite flashback "I'm gonna keep dancin forever me"
https://youtu.be/5rYXcmVSeBU?t=38s

fuuuuuck I'm old

chaibuka

Post by chaibuka » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:43 pm

I always wondered why as most people become adults there's like a light switch and they don't listen to new music. Mostly cling to what they heard as a teenager. Allot of adults aren't really even into music even though they may have been as a teenager.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:11 pm

chaibuka wrote:I always wondered why as most people become adults there's like a light switch and they don't listen to new music. Mostly cling to what they heard as a teenager. Allot of adults aren't really even into music even though they may have been as a teenager.
novelty decay

When I was 13 I was into Human League the synths and aesthetic were cool bleak and modern with808 drums! Synths! I'd never heard anything like it ... incredible novelty.
When I was 14 I got into what was called "Electro" or Electro Funk, now recognised as the start of HipHop, another amazing a totally new music with incredible novelty. 808 drums! Synths! I'd never heard anything like it ... incredible novelty.
When I was 16 I got into Tangerine Dream, strange music Modular Synths, Soundscapes, I'd never heard anything like it ... incredible novelty.
When I was 17 I got into Can, King Crimson, etc. Weird time signatures, odd noises, percussion, dynamics, I'd never heard anything like it ... incredible novelty.
When I was 18 I got into acid house, 808 drums! hard searing Synths! I'd never heard anything like it ... incredible novelty.
when I was 19 I got into Dub, amazing use of effects, feedback, modulation, creative arrangement, the studio as an instrument, I'd never heard anything like it ... incredible novelty.
... etc.
tl; dr every year I discovered an amazing new thing in music

When I was 30 dance tracks like Darude - Sandstorm came out, and it seemed like quite a predictable track, well produced. I'd heard similar stuff and was by now very familiar with every build and expected every drop. Dance music seemed to stand still with very few exceptions it all sounds like it could have comfortably come out in 1999.

We are in an era where all the major players like Major Lazer are not surprising me, they are just polishing what has come before. That's fine. We live in an era of polish. Everything is polished. But is the "dance music" chart of 2016 really containing anything more novel than
Timezone's Wildstyle (1983), or Leftfield's Leftism? (1995)

I'm outdated now. I come from an era where we really valued newness, originality. But now that I am old I am too familiar with the tricks, the techniques and the sounds. I don't see anything novel. It all looks like retreads and rehashes to me. Everything sounds very very predictable. With nice production. So , I listen to things like Tuvan throat singing, and old music which has a veneer of authenticity. Because the new dance releases just seem thin and average.

so that's why ...Getting old means nothing is novel any more.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:44 pm

chaibuka wrote:I always wondered why as most people become adults there's like a light switch and they don't listen to new music. Mostly cling to what they heard as a teenager. Allot of adults aren't really even into music even though they may have been as a teenager.

I’m still listening to and buying new music all the time. Thank you music discovery subscriptions!

As I am sure what is probably mid-life depression related, listening to music from my multiple primes (second wind in my 30’s) actually kind of bums me out sometimes because my current life is nothing like it was back then and many of the people that were BFF aren’t really in my life either anymore. Being a mostly responsible adult is really quite boring. Weirdly I have even more music success fantasies in my head now than when it was actually more feasible….and I was actually doing things with music.

chaibuka

Post by chaibuka » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:14 am

I really Liked the new Tribe Called Quest album and I'm all for older people making music. I do it myself as a hobby for enjoyment. But I have noticed that even prolific artist that aren't really using any tricks seem at the top of there game around 20 to 25 as a generalization. Kind of like when Paul McCartney releases a new album it gets good reviews but I'm not really feelin it.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:16 am

beats me wrote:
I’m still listening to and buying new music all the time. Thank you music discovery subscriptions!

As I am sure what is probably mid-life depression related, listening to music from my multiple primes (second wind in my 30’s) actually kind of bums me out sometimes because my current life is nothing like it was back then and many of the people that were BFF aren’t really in my life either anymore. Being a mostly responsible adult is really quite boring. Weirdly I have even more music success fantasies in my head now than when it was actually more feasible….and I was actually doing things with music.
I'm in that same-ish boat. I'm an 80s/90s child (born in 81) and living in a small country town, Music was the only real thing I could sink into and even when I was a baby my Mum found she had to put a radio on in my room to keep me quiet. I attribute my memory of life dating back to when I was 1 year old in a crib to the fact Music helped cement memories and I have an addiction to listening to something all the time. If I can't find something to get into, I make it instead.

I went through a number of stages and have found as I grew older loving the stuff I use to hear my parents play (though hated it at the time).

I have some great memories from my childhood that I recall with certain songs and sometimes wish I could be back in that space again. Now I have my own kids and I try and get them into the same stuff, doesn't work just like it didn't with me but subliminally they will start to like the stuff I like.

I still love new music, mostly alternative music not main stream. I listen to non-commercial radio here in Australia (Triple J) and Spotify/Pandora at home to discover new music. I use Soundhound to record all my likes and try and get that onto my playlists. I love the hunt for a new song for the moment. Old saying that music is all a soundtrack to life.

Then there's my partner who would simply be happy to be stuck in 1999 listening to limp biscuit on repeat. She recalls nothing at all from her childhood.

AAdel

Post by AAdel » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:59 pm

I agree, in 5 years a new genre comes, In 10 years present generation gets outdated and in 20 years it fades out.
Adel Al Agha ???? ?? ???
Singer, Music Producer & Trainer
https://radionama.com

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:57 pm

jestermgee wrote: I went through a number of stages and have found as I grew older loving the stuff I use to hear my parents play (though hated it at the time).
My mom and I are on the same heavy rotation page of music that predates both of us, a 172 track album of songs from the 1930’s. Something calming about it from what we like to think was simpler times without any real experience to back that up. :)

I also find myself listening to music that was popular when I was younger but not really my cup of tea at the time. I don't know if things have changed, but when I was younger you really just picked a genre or two, went all in, and blew off everything else.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:59 pm

I just looked at my most-recent playlist and what I seem to be listening to is musical styles/sounds which aren't currently over-saturated.
its a no-wub dept

Ry Cooder - She's leaving the Bank (1980s evocative guitar business)
Here come the Fleas - White Noise (David Vorhaus and Delia Derbyshire Music Concrete classic)
The Thief - Roy Budd (mid 70s jazz soundtrack )
Huun Huur Tu - Lament of the Igil (Tuvan throat singing)
Sycamore Trees - Angelo Badalamenti and Jimmy Scott(Evocative David Lynch soundtrack)

a lot of my music choices are determined on "can I code to this?"

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:46 pm

AAdel wrote:I agree, in 5 years a new genre comes, In 10 years present generation gets outdated and in 20 years it fades out.
That's not validated by the music output the last 26 years, at least not in "electronic" music styles. New styles may appear and have done so, but the now old do not fade out at all. What I started to listen to 26-27 years ago is bigger than ever, at least in global underground scenes. That's because some have stayed, or came back, and new people have arrived. People in different generations in a scene add up. Also people float between scenes more than what I remember.

I don't feel music has stagnated at all. Because it was always stagnated. If you don't feel this is true then you need to get out more.

I listen to at least one new album a day, which is now easier than ever, even if not all are on streaming sites, much is on Bandcamp, Soundcloud or available at good prices most of the time. If you live in a good place, then maybe one new scene a week or month is a similar and useful idea? Or if on vacation, two venues per night minimum?
"If you wanna get into it, you gotta get out of it"
Make some music!

AAdel

Post by AAdel » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:17 am

Stromkraft wrote:
AAdel wrote:I agree, in 5 years a new genre comes, In 10 years present generation gets outdated and in 20 years it fades out.
That's not validated by the music output the last 26 years, at least not in "electronic" music styles. New styles may appear and have done so, but the now old do not fade out at all. What I started to listen to 26-27 years ago is bigger than ever, at least in global underground scenes. That's because some have stayed, or came back, and new people have arrived. People in different generations in a scene add up. Also people float between scenes more than what I remember.

I don't feel music has stagnated at all. Because it was always stagnated. If you don't feel this is true then you need to get out more.

I listen to at least one new album a day, which is now easier than ever, even if not all are on streaming sites, much is on Bandcamp, Soundcloud or available at good prices most of the time. If you live in a good place, then maybe one new scene a week or month is a similar and useful idea? Or if on vacation, two venues per night minimum?
"If you wanna get into it, you gotta get out of it"
I think you misunderstood my post, I consider following items:

1- Nowadays there isn't any track with exactly one pure genre and without any inspiration from old times, it means the borders between genres and styles are being faded out and categorising is done with some main features, so when I produce EDM, I may have some effects from Jazz or Blues.

2- Yes, I'm fan of 25-35 years ago music, I like Classic, too, That's a different thing; We have a vintage music concert next week in which I'm playing Piano. Music doesn't die, it gets outdated.

3- You can picture the disco anthems of the late 1970s and early 1980s where electronic music started with Moog synthesizers, some disco dance loops and etc. but that is different because the major part of track was Progrssive Rock or Funk.

4- But you can't create new classic!
Adel Al Agha ???? ?? ???
Singer, Music Producer & Trainer
https://radionama.com