Looking to move from NY

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
EasyWorkflow

Looking to move from NY

Post by EasyWorkflow » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:02 pm

Hello friends,

As some of you know, I was in a terrible accident 4 years ago and my case finally settled. Dubspot in NYC gave me a scholarship when the owner heard about the severity of my injuries so I am 100% staying in NY until I take the 6 Ableton month course. Once done, I want to move to a city that is 420 friendly ( I am one of 6000 folks in NY) who has a medical marijuana card due to my injuries. Warm weather is nice, but I have no problem with the cold as long as the music scene is great. I am not talking just EDM but all types of music as I am a pro guitarist into blues, funk, etc plus a love for EDM.

Hear is my only track recorded to give you an idea of what my first track sounded like. https://soundcloud.com/bobbyluvchild

Any specific cities or zipcodes would be very helpful. I was told Santa Monica CA has a vibrant music scene as well a certain area in Denver CO but not sure what zipcode in Denver the person was referring to.

Thanks for help finding me a new home. And yes, I know NYC is dope but in life, there are 4 seasons and I just had a 4 year winter and it's time for a change.

Peace out

BobbyD

Richie Witch

Re: Looking to move from NY

Post by Richie Witch » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:49 pm

Well, there's always Seattle. 8)

If I was moving back, I'd check Capital Hill (98102), Belltown (98121), and anywhere along the East Marginal Way South corridor between SODO (98134) and Boeing field (aka King County International Airport)(98101), except South Park (98108). That's sorted by price (highest to lowest) and proximity to music scene (farthest to closest).

Blues, Jazz, Funk, Rock, Grunge, Folk, Industrial... Seattle is the place.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

EasyWorkflow

Post by EasyWorkflow » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:05 pm

Richie Witch wrote:Well, there's always Seattle. 8)

If I was moving back, I'd check Capital Hill (98102), Belltown (98121), and anywhere along the East Marginal Way South corridor between SODO (98134) and Boeing field (aka King County International Airport)(98101), except South Park (98108). That's sorted by price (highest to lowest) and proximity to music scene (farthest to closest).

Blues, Jazz, Funk, Rock, Grunge, Folk, Industrial... Seattle is the place.

No shit bro. I had no idea. So Seattle has it all. What is weather like? Also, I will not have a car and want to be able to walk to clubs. I am just a tad confused. Is the higher priced zip codes closer or farther to music scene. It seems like you said the higher priced zip codes are farther away.

Thanks

EasyWorkflow

Post by EasyWorkflow » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:07 pm

Richie Witch wrote:Well, there's always Seattle.
If I was moving back
Where do you live now?

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:14 pm

Well, it's Seattle, so it's a slow drizzle and gray skies most of the year. You get a few months of sunshine right after July 4th until maybe September. Snow used to be extremely rare, but in recent years they've had one or two good storms each winter that last a few days. But it's all that rain that makes the city brilliant green and adds such a sadness to the music.

Locals get used to it--only tourists carry umbrellas.

Music-wise, Seattle is the town that created both Jimi Hendrix and Nivana, and hundreds of others. Here's a list of all the musicians attributed to the Emerald City. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... om_Seattle. There is the huge music and art festival over Labor Day (Bumbershoot), and if you can get to Eastern Washington, they have the Sasquatch Festival in May. But music is everywhere and always in Seattle. Check out the online version of the Stranger for the weekly scene. http://www.thestranger.com/things-to-do

Public transportation is great if you're in the downtown core. Capital Hill is great. Belltown is great and *free* (or at least it was free from Belltown to Pioneer Square, which is the entire downtown central corridor). Buses in SODO are regular, but I don't think cover as much area. Alas, you won't find a subway system like you're used to.

And yes, Capital Hill is all shops, restaurants, and galleries, but still affordable, but farthest from the core of the music scene. Belltown is closer, within walking distance to a lot of cool, funky venues. But SODO is where all the really funky, dive bars and venues are hidden, and it's cheap (or was) because there is a lot of heavy industry in the area. Pioneer Square (between Belltown and SODO) has lots of music too, but far too expensive since they kicked all the artists out of the warehouses and converted to condos.

As for me, I lived in Seattle, including Capital Hill and Belltown, for 12 years. Then the job ran out and I moved to San Diego, then Los Angeles, and now on the eastern coast of Florida, south of Cape Canaveral. If I didn't have to work for a living, I'd be back in Seattle, in a dingy basement apartment doing nothing but making music. :lol:
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute