Cables

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
TomKern

Cables

Post by TomKern » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:22 pm

Ok, I know many here have extensive experience with connecting gear to their computers and take all that gear to gigs and jams and whatnot all the time.

Any good option on cable solutions (mostly USB)?!

I'm beyond frustrated by them. They always get in the way and they always break (and always in the worse possible situations too).

My set up right now consist of six MIDI controllers. One of which harbors the sound card. Five of those are connected via a USB hub (Belkin) and the sound card one goes in directly into one of my USB ports. (MBP only has 2 USB ports.... :roll: ).

And no matter how careful I try to treat the cables, one of them seems to always be broken. (like little internal cable breakages, that you don't see from the outside, but they make the MIDI connection very unstable.)

What are your tips. Any special cables or ways to store and transport them?!

I look forward to your inputs. 8)

Tarekith

Re: Cables

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:27 pm

Check out the ones DJTechtools sells, I've had good luck with those for gigging and what not with no issues.

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:32 pm

Tarekith wrote:Check out the ones DJTechtools sells, I've had good luck with those for gigging and what not with no issues.
I should have noted I guess: delivered to Gemany without import duty.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:59 pm

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:45 pm

They do look nice. I have had good experiences with fabric wrapped cables regarding stability before. But I'm missing the nice choices from your other suggestion regarding the plug type. (L-shape etc.)

And damn they are pricy. 90€ just for a new set of cables for all my six controllers. 8O

But I guess I could just replace them one by one as the old ones break.

But I'm open for more suggestions 8)

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:59 am

How are you wrapping and storing your cables?

If they break internally they are being stressed. If you roll them up around your hand after a gig, don't. Same with long XLRs etc, never wrap them round your arm like bailing rope.

Simple example of how I would suggest the correct way would be:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yPcJD7RVuY

Do simple small loops twisting on each loop pass to keep the cable in a nice neat loop then store them neatly. Large ziplock bags can be good for keeping cables nicely coiled in a laptop bag.

I do DJ/Karaoke gigs on the side and cart a lot of audio and lighting gear around from place to place. I have created custom bundled snake cables between my console and amp rack so it's easy to maintain and having all the cables together offers better protection too. Lots of velcro ties. I also have my amp case, lighting truss and console desks pre-wired as much as possible so there is little I have to plug/unplug as possible. Probably not possible with all the controllers and the areas you have to setup but a flight case option that you can install your gear and pre-wire can be a big time saver.

I probably don't get out as much for gigs and such as you but I have rarely ever had a failed cable in my life but I did have someone teach me proper cable management, storage and care a long time ago.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:42 am

yeah coiling up cables properly is a lifesaver. i'm an AV technician in my day job and consequently spend a lot of time unravelling cables from events. nice sized loops when you're coiling up, don't force the cable to go where it doesn't want to go. a little push of the cable between the thumb and forefinger with each loop makes it sit nice in your hand.

my personal revelation over the last year regarding holding cables together so they dont get tangled whie storing has been bulldog clips. i always find them lying around here and there anyway and they hold coiled up XLR's, jack leads, phonos etc etc very well. even better than the velcro tags you can get. i used to use that electrical tape or bits of gaffer tape but hated the sticky residue that would get left behind

shit i'm boring :x

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:37 am

slatepipe wrote:
shit i'm boring :x
Lol, we all are.

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:38 pm

jestermgee wrote:How are you wrapping and storing your cables?

If they break internally they are being stressed. If you roll them up around your hand after a gig, don't. Same with long XLRs etc, never wrap them round your arm like bailing rope.

Simple example of how I would suggest the correct way would be:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yPcJD7RVuY

Do simple small loops twisting on each loop pass to keep the cable in a nice neat loop then store them neatly. Large ziplock bags can be good for keeping cables nicely coiled in a laptop bag.

I do DJ/Karaoke gigs on the side and cart a lot of audio and lighting gear around from place to place. I have created custom bundled snake cables between my console and amp rack so it's easy to maintain and having all the cables together offers better protection too. Lots of velcro ties. I also have my amp case, lighting truss and console desks pre-wired as much as possible so there is little I have to plug/unplug as possible. Probably not possible with all the controllers and the areas you have to setup but a flight case option that you can install your gear and pre-wire can be a big time saver.

I probably don't get out as much for gigs and such as you but I have rarely ever had a failed cable in my life but I did have someone teach me proper cable management, storage and care a long time ago.
Thanks for the video. I never payed much attention to any specific technique rolling my cables. Though my impression is those small breakages are always located near the plugs. So I'm not so sure the rolling affects this part all that much. I also have the feeling that USB cables have a harder plastic shell than audio cables which somehow breaks the internal copper more easily.
That's why I think maybe the nylon cables would help with this.

But I will keep the rolling technique in mind 8)