Moving from NYC to Austin TX and need advice!!!!!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
EasyWorkflow

Moving from NYC to Austin TX and need advice!!!!!

Post by EasyWorkflow » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:04 am

Hello friends,

I am a retired at age 54 due to a horrible accident that left me permanently disabled. Please do not feel bad for me because I was pronounced dead for two minutes and lived to tell about it.

I have been a semi pro blues guitarist for 40 years and now will go pro as any money I make will be from music.

My question is for those that know Austin is which zip code should I be looking at 78701 which is downtown or 78704 which I think is East side.

I want to be able to do as many open blues jams, gig with my own band, and also do standup comedy. I can not figure out which area is better suited for my needs so anyone who can share any info would be so much appreciated.

I am ready to buy a condo and have a buddy in Austin to check it out for me so I do not buy site unseen. Once he OKs, I will get inspected and start my new life.

I am wondering about one thing. I used to do busking in NYC for the fun of it 30 years ago. Does Austin allow musicians to play on the street with a tip hat?

I do not plan on purchasing a car and would love to be able to walk to the clubs with my axe.

I hope this is enough info to get some good advice.

God Bless

BobbyD

EasyWorkflow

Re: Moving from NYC to Austin TX and need advice!!!!!

Post by EasyWorkflow » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:49 pm

No one from Austin on this site?

AustinThumper

Post by AustinThumper » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:07 am

The East side is 78702, historically black and Hispanic but now being gentrified by younger ppl. When I moved here to the East Side in 2012 it was the best deal going - now everything is priced a whole lot more. If money is no object, check out South Congress, and also Burnet road to the north.

I've got a friend who just listed a very nice townhouse, in a great location near Barton Springs and South Lamar, for ~ $700k.
Live 9.6 Suite / Max 7.2 / REAPER / Reaktor 6 / Win10 64bit / 4.2GHz i7 / 32GB DRAM / SSD / 828mk3 / 4 x HR824 / QX25 / HPD-15 / Sonor club kit / Mother-32 and a growing Eurorack.

EasyWorkflow

Post by EasyWorkflow » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:31 am

AustinThumper wrote:The East side is 78702, historically black and Hispanic but now being gentrified by younger ppl. When I moved here to the East Side in 2012 it was the best deal going - now everything is priced a whole lot more. If money is no object, check out South Congress, and also Burnet road to the north.

I've got a friend who just listed a very nice townhouse, in a great location near Barton Springs and South Lamar, for ~ $700k.
Thanks for info. What zip has the most blues bars and open jams. I also want to experiment with EDM and blues using Ableton. What area do you think has bars open to this type of music. But definitely want to get to open blues jams.

Thanks