WHY ABLETON - IF SUPPORT SUCKS

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.

Re: WHY ABLETON - IF SUPPORT SUCKS

Post by 102455 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:54 pm

I'll second Angstrom's suggestion. That sounds workable. I've seen that used with other software.

Virtual DJ 8 (by Atomix) has a system whereby you can install it on as many computers as you want, but you can only have two activated (in use) at the same time.

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:17 pm

Yes, it is obvious that many people spend lots of time with the software on the weekends and supporting those people is quite important (especially for licensing and activation issues).
Activating and reactivating software is very important and the way it is handled now simply sucks. What bothers me the most is that I have to send more than one message to Ableton in order to get response (even if it is created through their website form). I pretty much feel like I am ignored. I keep struggling with plugins at the moment being not sure which version should I use 64 or 32 bit because some of them work only in 64 bit mode and smoe are not updated and work only in 32 bit mode. While trying to install Live on another PC to test it I have issues with activation etc. When talking to Ableton about reinstalling etc it feels like I'm almost stilling something and have to explain in details why have I installed software so many times.
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:30 am

All computers these days have unique MAC address as well as CPU Id. Based on that is is quite easy to validate license over internet. Of course everything could be hacked but Ableton can keep current validation algorithms along with that and allow users to reinstall software easily whenever one needs it. I hope they will never go into the dongle area (like Steinberg) as it would be a deal breaker for me.
It is not however so hard to control licenses. The bottom line is - current activation method SUCKS!

Arthur
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu

dbfs

Post by dbfs » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:31 am

Angstrom wrote:I think a method of deregistering software from a named computer on the Ableton site would be handy.

So on my Ableton account page it should say

Angstroms License: Live 9 Suite
Licensed Devices -
Angstroms Desktop : Activated [Deactivate]
Angstrom's Laptop : Activated [Deactivate]

that might help matters. We just deactivate a licensed device ourselves

although obviously the interface would need TO BE IN CAPITALS.
Been saying this shit for ages... It makes no sense. It defies logic, and frankly sounds ridiculous, that everyone is sending in emails to get more unlocks for their software that they could have potentially invested over 2K+ into, waiting for some mystery guy to bless you with access once again to your purchases. The amount of hours spent going through emails everyday at Ableton HQ must be staggering. Wasting their time and everyone else's when they could simply have a place on the site where users control their own authorizations on their account. I'm not understanding what the issue is here??? I know it's possible because I have a bunch of different software that allows me to do just that.. control my own authorizations. Studio One is a perfect example of how it should be done. They give you 5 and you control them 100%. This emailing every 2-3 unlocks (however generous the previous "unlock" guy was feeling last time) shit is real amateur hour. Make it happen, Ableton! Enough is enough!

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:25 pm

dbfs wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:31 am
Angstrom wrote:I think a method of deregistering software from a named computer on the Ableton site would be handy.

So on my Ableton account page it should say

Angstroms License: Live 9 Suite
Licensed Devices -
Angstroms Desktop : Activated [Deactivate]
Angstrom's Laptop : Activated [Deactivate]

that might help matters. We just deactivate a licensed device ourselves

although obviously the interface would need TO BE IN CAPITALS.
Been saying this shit for ages... It makes no sense. It defies logic, and frankly sounds ridiculous, that everyone is sending in emails to get more unlocks for their software that they could have potentially invested over 2K+ into, waiting for some mystery guy to bless you with access once again to your purchases. The amount of hours spent going through emails everyday at Ableton HQ must be staggering. Wasting their time and everyone else's when they could simply have a place on the site where users control their own authorizations on their account. I'm not understanding what the issue is here??? I know it's possible because I have a bunch of different software that allows me to do just that.. control my own authorizations. Studio One is a perfect example of how it should be done. They give you 5 and you control them 100%. This emailing every 2-3 unlocks (however generous the previous "unlock" guy was feeling last time) shit is real amateur hour. Make it happen, Ableton! Enough is enough!
Presonus Studio One and Lennar Digital Sylenth1 just to name a couple. Is this still an issue in (nearly) 2020?