WHY ABLETON - IF SUPPORT SUCKS

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
aklisiewicz

WHY ABLETON - IF SUPPORT SUCKS

Post by aklisiewicz » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:42 pm

I use Ableton Live since version 5. At that time I was thrilled with the awesome support. Many times I was using Ableton as an example of how company should handle customer relations. After several years Ableton support downgraded to the point that it's nowhere near satisfaction (at least for me). To make things worse the issues that bothered me with LIVE-5 still exist and company does not even bother to do anything about it. This post is more for those who eventually plan to buy a product or upgrade.

It happened to me several times that I needed to update or reinstall Live software on my computer. I remember the first time it had happened and when I wasted 4 days being in a dead end situation where I needed to work and I couldn't. Why ? Simply because I was not able to unlock the product. Ableton amazingly is lazy or careless enough to have all employees of on every weekend and not responding to anything that has been posted between Friday afternoon and Monday morning. I have made an unlock requests several times and it took several days for them to respond or do something. Now when Live 9 comes out in several different flavors (i.e 64/32, standard, suite etc) it becomes even more complicated to install and unlock the software. I initially installed 64 bit version but none of the plugins worked and after running Windows 10(64) update it started crashing. After that I decided to remove and reinstall 32 bit version. It worked fine for some time but then I decided to buy NI KOMPLETE Ultimate where the drivers and VSTs are 64 bit so wanted to install 64 bit version. Of course we cannot have 64 and 32 bit versions installed at the same time. Decided to keep 64 bit only. I also needed to install this on another desktop PC so I can sync to instances and double the power for complex sound processing. I also wanted to install Live 9 on my tablet so when I'm out of home I can do some creative work sometimes. All of this required several unlocking sessions and brought me to the point where Ableton counter exceeded the limit. So what is my limit Ableton ? Why every time I need to install/reinstall software I have to beg you to allow me to do it ? Didn't I pay for the license ?

I use software from other companies and when I need a new license, reactivate it or reset installation counter I simply login to that site click NEW installation button and Copy/Paste new KEY. It is that simple. I do not have to call support or send idiotic messages explaining WHY am I reinstalling. To make things worse Ableton is unresponsive. For my last installation I have sent an Email to ABLETON support 5 days ago asking to reset my installation counter (this was on Tuesday).
3 days later I tried to unlock it - NO WAY! same damn MESSAGE. No reply, or any kind of message from Ableton. When I said I send message to Ableton means I filled out the HTML form (on their website).

On Friday (when unlocking was still unsuccessful) I send another message to unlock@ableton.com. This already pissed me off again because I was planning to work with Live over the weekend and of course they never respond to weekend messages. I was sure I'm going to get Live unlocked first thing Monday morning. WHAT ? No way, they did not even bother to do anything. Today is Monday (afternoon) and after 5 days wait I still cannot use the product! No response no messages from Ableton.
Despite of that I tried to do unlocking and guess what happened? The website opened up and popped up screen message that website is contacting instance of Live opened on my PC. After minute or so IT SHOWED MESSAGE: "Success".

Uffff, I thought I got at least one computer unlocked. Then few seconeds later the same message showed up on my Ableton Live 9 screen making my blood boiling! Not able to unlock!!!

ABLETON - I'm asking you guys WTF is wrong with you ? Why customer pays you $1000+ and has to go through such a horror. I asked you to give me my a refund and get money back and you refused. I asked you for a better product and support - you giving me garbage!

The bottom line for potential users is - THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU BUY BECAUSE WHAT ABLETON IS TODAY IS DEFINITELY NOT WHAT IST WAS 5-6 YEARS AGO. This is a very sad story.

Gues what ? After
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu

fishmonkey

Re: WHY ABLETON - IF SUPPORT SUCKS

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:09 pm

aklisiewicz wrote: I use software from other companies and when I need a new license, reactivate it or reset installation counter I simply login to that site click NEW installation button and Copy/Paste new KEY. It is that simple. I do not have to call support or send idiotic messages explaining WHY am I reinstalling.
which companies are your referring to? almost every company has some type of copy protection, and makes it clear how many concurrent installations are allowed. it can be frustrating to deal with, i agree. however you can't expect to be doing so many installations and not run into issues. the Live license technically only allows two installations, so it sounds like you managed to do well over that before you got blocked.

if everyone could just reset their installation counters at will, then there would be no point having copy protection in the first place...

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:35 pm

Live license technically only allows two installations, so it sounds like you managed to do well over that before you got blocked
If you would read my post more carefully you would notice I mentioned installing 64 bit version then 32 bit version then 64 bit version again. All together 3 installations attempts (so it is not so many). All this on the same computers. I understand Ableton has to control licensing somehow but being able to reset the counter myself through the site would resolve many issues and especially Ableton laziness in answering my posts and requests. It takes real screaming to get support answer and that's what pisses me off! There are many issues with Live 9 (either 32 or 64 bit version) we all know that and therefore people keep trying different installations to get things working. With Live 7 there was no 64 bit version so one problem was out of the picture. You can't consider everybody a hacker just because he is trying to get Live work as expected and things do now go well! On top of Live there are also many issues with Windows-10 (which I use).

I was just contacted Ableton Tech Support today (AFTER % DAYS OF POSTNG, BEGGING, SCREAMING) for the first time regarding the issue. So where was the support for the last 5 days ???
Now I'm asked to uninstall and reinstall (while I just reinstalled 5 days ago).

Other companies ? Yes - I use development product which needs to be registered on-line (smilar process to Ableton Live). When I need to reinstall the software or move it to another computer (actually I'm moving only a license not the whole software) I can manage everything on-line and it takes 30 seconds. I can have software installed on 2 or 4 computers but my license allows me to use only one at the time (which is fine). I can however move this license around freely by generating ne KEY every time I need it. Nothing new - this has been used for years ....

Keep in mind - this post is not so much about activation process but more about the fact that ABLETON IGNORES CUSTOMERS
Last time I have had an issue, there was the same scenario. Until I started screaming and posting rants my messages were ignored. I hate to do things like that but at this moment it seems it's the only way to get Ableton attention.

ART
Sadarahu

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:44 pm

aklisiewicz wrote:
Live license technically only allows two installations, so it sounds like you managed to do well over that before you got blocked
If you would read my post more carefully you would notice I mentioned installing 64 bit version then 32 bit version then 64 bit version again. All together 3 installations attempts (so it is not so many). All this on the same computers. I understand Ableton has to control licensing somehow but being able to reset the counter myself through the site would resolve many issues and especially Ableton laziness in answering my posts and requests. It takes real screaming to get support answer and that's what pisses me off! There are many issues with Live 9 (either 32 or 64 bit version) we all know that and therefore people keep trying different installations to get things working. With Live 7 there was no 64 bit version so one problem was out of the picture. You can't consider everybody a hacker just because he is trying to get Live work as expected and things do now go well! On top of Live there are also many issues with Windows-10 (which I use).

I was just contacted Ableton Tech Support today (AFTER % DAYS OF POSTNG, BEGGING, SCREAMING) for the first time regarding the issue. So where was the support for the last 5 days ???
Now I'm asked to uninstall and reinstall (while I just reinstalled 5 days ago).

Other companies ? Yes - I use development product which needs to be registered on-line (smilar process to Ableton Live). When I need to reinstall the software or move it to another computer (actually I'm moving only a license not the whole software) I can manage everything on-line and it takes 30 seconds. I can have software installed on 2 or 4 computers but my license allows me to use only one at the time (which is fine). I can however move this license around freely by generating ne KEY every time I need it. Nothing new - this has been used for years ....

Keep in mind - this post is not so much about activation process but more about the fact that ABLETON IGNORES CUSTOMERS
Last time I have had an issue, there was the same scenario. Until I started screaming and posting rants my messages were ignored. I hate to do things like that but at this moment it seems it's the only way to get Ableton attention.

ART
maybe you need to read your own post more carefully? you also mentioned installing onto another desktop machine, and a tablet.

regarding other companies, i had assumed you were talking about other music software or plugins. piracy is a big problem with audio software, so licensing tends to be more strictly controlled.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:21 am

After upgrading systems I've had Live say something to the effect of too many authorizations and there was a pop up where you would send them the reason why and you were activated. I don't know if this is the case with Live 9.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:49 am

Sorry to hear that. There's sooooo many users and sooooo many requests to support everyday, and imho (even if it's not always perfect for everybody) they're doing a great job... but it's not a perfect science.
In your position I'd take this as a "lesson's learned"; your account gives you 5 authorisations for 2 computers, which is quite large I think. So next time you're planning to re-install your os or change your computer, don't forget to ask yourself about licenses management.
It's like the first time you experience a hard drive crash, have no backup and lose everything... you can blame the HD manufacturer of course, but there's also the user's responsibility, you're responsible for your data. Usually you don't experience it a second time!
And, yes, some people have days off to spend some time doing something else than working. That's not always convenient to everybody, but in the end it helps keeping them living as human beings.
Ableton Forum Moderator

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:12 am

Dear Site Admin!
I could understand your excuses up to some point only. I'm comparing Ableton support from about 6-7 years ago. If the number of users has grown then the amount of revenue for Ableton as well. The company needs to balance earned money and assign enough support people to help users. Waiting a week to get response IS NOT AN OPTION for me - period! If you cannot afford for god support then there are other ways of doing it. Just take an AMAZOn as an example. You can migrate some support issues to advanced users and give the some incentives in exchange (ie. free upgrades etc.) There is always a way. Ableton is not like it used to be anymore :-(
Sadarahu

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:35 am

Yeah god forbid people have weekends. Luckily not every country is like the US (yet?) were employees are just wage slaves you can work to an early grave.

The rest of your problem is you wanting more than your license bought you (3 instead of 2 computers) and then bitching about Ableton not making an exception for you fast enough.
aklisiewicz wrote: Until I started screaming and posting rants.
And how is that approach working out for you? I mean in life generally?

You sound like a real peach :roll:

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:31 am

TomKern wrote: You sound like a real peach :roll:
Easy please!
Ableton Forum Moderator

hyperscientist

Post by hyperscientist » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:20 pm

[jur] wrote:5 authorisations for 2 computers, which is quite large I think
What? What does that mean? I swap computers very often (due to work + the fact that I enjoy being on the edge), currently I am on my third computer since I bought Live about 2 years ago. Does that mean that soon enough my license will become invalid and I will have to buy another?

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:23 pm

hyperscientist wrote:
[jur] wrote:5 authorisations for 2 computers, which is quite large I think
What? What does that mean? I swap computers very often (due to work + the fact that I enjoy being on the edge), currently I am on my third computer since I bought Live about 2 years ago. Does that mean that soon enough my license will become invalid and I will have to buy another?
No. Usually all it takes is a mail to Ableton support to get that number extended. They are quite lenient that way. And if you don't wait till Friday to write that mail, you usually also get it approved the next day.

hyperscientist

Post by hyperscientist » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:10 pm

Got it, thank you very much Tom!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Well, maybe Ableton could implement a weekend solution that allows for registered users to temporarily get back their registration for only three days via their Ableton account?

Say for this situation when you're on your fifth installation — how do you even know that? — your machine breaks down or is stolen and you purchase a new machine and painstakingly re-install everything for that important gig only to find out traveling you need an extension.

A mayday license so to speak.

BTW, I've been told that installing on the same machine repeatedly doesn't advance the installation count. What gives?
Make some music!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:43 pm

I think a method of deregistering software from a named computer on the Ableton site would be handy.

So on my Ableton account page it should say

Angstroms License: Live 9 Suite
Licensed Devices -
Angstroms Desktop : Activated [Deactivate]
Angstrom's Laptop : Activated [Deactivate]

that might help matters. We just deactivate a licensed device ourselves

although obviously the interface would need TO BE IN CAPITALS.

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:44 pm

Angstrom wrote:I think a method of deregistering software from a named computer on the Ableton site would be handy.

So on my Ableton account page it should say

Angstroms License: Live 9 Suite
Licensed Devices -
Angstroms Desktop : Activated [Deactivate]
Angstrom's Laptop : Activated [Deactivate]

that might help matters. We just deactivate a licensed device ourselves
That would be a good way to handle this
although obviously the interface would need TO BE IN CAPITALS.
Only if the capital in question is Berlin obviously :mrgreen: