Live 10 around the corner?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
mekanism1200

Re: Live 10 around the corner?

Post by mekanism1200 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:01 am

If I had it my way I would disable the session view altogether. I just dont use it, and sold my Push because I was basically forced to follow that workflow. I suppose I would have been better off with a linear DAW like like Cubase or Logic. However, Ableton was easy to start out on and everything seemed logical and the UI is simple and well placed. My first intro to DAW's was Reason 2.0 and while you can create sounds very quickly the UI can get confusing and scrolling through machines gets old.

For 10 I hope they provide some updates to the arrangement section, make editing of multiple tracks easier and for the love of all things under the sun allow an "Insert Time" so I dont have to grab half of my projects arrangement with 30+ tracks just to move it over 8 bars to create dead space!

Also I would really like tabbed projects...imagine being able to grab a previous versions' track data into a newer version because you "took things a little too far" with that preset and completely muffed the mix.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:37 pm

mekanism1200 wrote:If I had it my way I would disable the session view altogether. I just dont use it, and sold my Push because I was basically forced to follow that workflow.
I honestly think you might be better off in something like Studio One if you really never use Session.
I do a lot of work in Arrangement, but at least 40 % is Session and that 40% is essential to me because I use it as a scratchpad. Basically just what Studio One introduced in their version 3 that's how I use Live's Session. Of course, that means I'm not using Live as Ableton intend (or how most users do), but until Studio One added scratch pads I had no option really.

For the moment Live is still my main DAW because of the familiarity. but if you can really do without Session there are some great DAWs out there - Logic, Reaper, Cubase, Studio One ... all of them are better at Arrangement than Live. Arrangement has never been its strong point. More of an afterthought.

. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZALHeAeOjM4

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:02 pm

antic604 wrote:
mekanism1200 wrote:...and for the love of all things under the sun allow an "Insert Time" so I dont have to grab half of my projects arrangement with 30+ tracks just to move it over 8 bars to create dead space!
You mean this "Insert Silence"?
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/arran ... e-commands
No, I mean I would like the option to select 1 point in the timeline, right click and insert bars of time. As it works now you have to select the amount of time you want, duplicate it, then delete all track data in that region of time, or grab all of the track data after the point you want to add time and manually drag it further down the timeline to create dead space.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:35 pm

mekanism1200 wrote:
antic604 wrote:
mekanism1200 wrote:...and for the love of all things under the sun allow an "Insert Time" so I dont have to grab half of my projects arrangement with 30+ tracks just to move it over 8 bars to create dead space!
You mean this "Insert Silence"?
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/arran ... e-commands
No, I mean I would like the option to select 1 point in the timeline, right click and insert bars of time. As it works now you have to select the amount of time you want, duplicate it, then delete all track data in that region of time, or grab all of the track data after the point you want to add time and manually drag it further down the timeline to create dead space.
you have misunderstood the system for inserting silence.
its actually very simple. drag to define the duration of silence you want to insert and then control+i to insert it

or do it from the Create menu. if you are a masochist

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:25 pm

Angstrom wrote: I'm aware they made Push for exactly this purpose, but the implementation seems very focused on a different musical creation method than mine. EG:
I have never needed to sample a vinyl record breakbeat and slice it into a simpler. I'm not making Dubstep, or HipHop. So, the focus of Push is lost on me.
I've said this elsewhere: I don't feel that nudge to work that way with Push at all. There are no limitations on how to work except for a slant of Session view above all. Which is so stupid.
Make some music!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:24 pm

Well I guess my impression is from Ableton promo materials. EG, the bit above where I wished for routing snapshots etc. I suddenly wondered if Push could actually do that . I searched and this is abletons video about Push 2 control of routing.
https://youtu.be/ODRWqF02PxA

I think that demonstrates my point.
The topic I am interested in, audio and midi routing? "Sample that vinyl into Simpler and slice it into beats!"
That is a very representative video of what this product is pitched as.

I know other people use it for other things, but I'm loathe to spend £650 just to find out . I just dont have that cash spare for a guess.

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:30 am

Angstrom wrote:
its actually very simple. drag to define the duration of silence you want to insert and then control+i to insert it

or do it from the Create menu. if you are a masochist
Wow, not sure how I missed that! Thanks!

yonhorizon

Post by yonhorizon » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:36 pm

yes.
the update pace , compared to bigwig, reaper, cubase, mixbus, studio one. is like turtle slow

I mean its like they really afraid to add features, cause its working as it is.

BUT COME ON

I mean, simple stuff, like mouse wheel use, custom keyboard commands, better browser with tagging, better high res support.

I mean theres a lot of stuff that don't seem like they should take years to implement, but nothing happening.
yes Ableton have this nice webpage, updated every week, but the dialogue with the costumers, and addressing the feature requests seems non existant.
isn't reputation is the most important factor for a company?

if it wasn't for push, I would have been bitwig long time ago. with push its the only daw that gives you amazing hands off computer control. you can just jam your ideas away.

Stefan Jantschek

Post by Stefan Jantschek » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:36 pm

yonhorizon wrote: I mean, simple stuff, like mouse wheel use, custom keyboard commands, better browser with tagging, better high res support.
Totally agree!

Especially the blurry fonts are stretching my patience to it´s limit every day.
My 4k notebook is reaching the 3rd working year...(!)

Like you said:
COME ON, GUYS!

stratusseeker

Post by stratusseeker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:16 pm

mekanism1200 wrote:If I had it my way I would disable the session view altogether. I just dont use it, and sold my Push because I was basically forced to follow that workflow. I suppose I would have been better off with a linear DAW like like Cubase or Logic. However, Ableton was easy to start out on and everything seemed logical and the UI is simple and well placed. My first intro to DAW's was Reason 2.0 and while you can create sounds very quickly the UI can get confusing and scrolling through machines gets old.

For 10 I hope they provide some updates to the arrangement section, make editing of multiple tracks easier and for the love of all things under the sun allow an "Insert Time" so I dont have to grab half of my projects arrangement with 30+ tracks just to move it over 8 bars to create dead space!

Also I would really like tabbed projects...imagine being able to grab a previous versions' track data into a newer version because you "took things a little too far" with that preset and completely muffed the mix.

Unsolicited advice here, but I also think that if Ableton does not give us arrangement section updates in the next version, it would really help your workflow to try a more traditional DAW. It might take some time to learn a new program, but there's a lot of power in using a traditional DAW that Ableton (so far...) hasn't added to arrangement view.

My question is, does Ableton want us to finish our tracks in another DAW, or they working on some amazing arrangement page ideas that will blow our minds soon? I'm hoping for the latter in Live 10!

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:07 am

Yesterday, I received an email survey about improvements I'd like to see in Ableton. That makes me think they are only beginning to start work on version 10.

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:45 am

Martin Gifford wrote:Yesterday, I received an email survey about improvements I'd like to see in Ableton. That makes me think they are only beginning to start work on version 10.
If that is the case then Ableton will seriously be left behind. There is too much competition for them not to be innovating. I suspect they will announce 10 at Loop in November. Fingers Crossed!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:28 am

mekanism1200 wrote:
Martin Gifford wrote:Yesterday, I received an email survey about improvements I'd like to see in Ableton. That makes me think they are only beginning to start work on version 10.
If that is the case then Ableton will seriously be left behind.
As if the very possible Live 9.8 and Live 9.9 couldn't bring new things as did 9.2 and 9.5. I mean how are you thinking?

What us Ableton Live users actually need is a stable and effective DAW, not "features" that takes two years before things actually works (remembering 9.0 and 9.1).
Make some music!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:37 pm

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:15 pm

@stromkraft sure, it's possible they could still throw in a bell or a whistle in a 9 point version, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that if Live is going to keep evolving, at some point it will need to start anew. I'm no programmer, but if Ableton are going to provide some of the most requested major changes (better browser, proper scaling of every part of the UI), it seems to me that they might have to "soften up" a bit on their old UI regime. It has been great, but I think it has been pushed as far as it can at this point.