Live 10 around the corner?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Stromkraft

Re: Live 10 around the corner?

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:25 pm

sporkles wrote: …if Ableton are going to provide some of the most requested major changes (better browser, proper scaling of every part of the UI), it seems to me that they might have to "soften up" a bit on their old UI regime. It has been great, but I think it has been pushed as far as it can at this point.
This doesn't make much sense, unless you mean the GUI technical underpinnings, which in the end doesn't have to have anything to do with how the Live GUI looks per se.

Ableton can build on the UI as is, and get a better browser and perfect scaling in different resolutions right now. Granted, some technology and developmental work may make certain things possible and there may be a balance to strike between investing in coding for the current code base and investing in a (likely partially) new code base. Maybe this is what you mean? I don't see Ableton throwing out vast parts of the code base for Live 10 though. Clearly Live is modular in many ways (I'm assuming this anyway), so they should be able to cater to some flexibility in current and future developments.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but it feels we're looking at something big soon, don't you think? What it is, I have no idea about.
Make some music!

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:37 am

sporkles wrote:I think it's pretty safe to assume that if Live is going to keep evolving, at some point it will need to start anew. I'm no programmer, but if Ableton are going to provide some of the most requested major changes (better browser, proper scaling of every part of the UI), it seems to me that they might have to "soften up" a bit on their old UI regime. It has been great, but I think it has been pushed as far as it can at this point.
I reckon you're right. Seeing the huge improvements that happen with FL Studio and Studio One with mere point iterations, I figure it must be because they have a better underlying platform that makes it easier to make changes. With Ableton, even little things like making fonts visible in the midi editor when using a dark skin seem impossible to achieve. If the underlying code was good, they'd be able to fix that easily rather than giving up on it. Also, they seem to have no clue about the browser - but I'm not happy with the browsers of any DAW.

There again, much of the code must be great because things like automation and undo are done amazingly well in Ableton.
Last edited by Martin Gifford on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:37 am

Stromkraft wrote:users actually need is a stable and effective DAW, not "features" that takes two years before things actually works (remembering 9.0 and 9.1).
Stromkraft wrote:Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but it feels we're looking at something big soon, don't you think? What it is, I have no idea about.
You kind of contradicted yourself a bit here. Are you hoping for a big release or want things to get more stable?

I personally would like both!

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:29 am

Like I said; I'm no programmer, but the fact that they implemented a half-arsed all or nothing UI scaling option tells me there's either something limiting in the underlying code or they simply don't know how to expand upon the existing UI. If that screenshot from the Jazzy Jeff video really reveals something about Live 10, I have to say I'm not impressed. Yes, the expanded MIDI view could be a sign that they're finally giving us more and better tools for editing MIDI, but I don't see anything fundamentally different in the design – which isn't necessarily a problem. If they would simply make devices in device view scalable by simply dragging the device view top border up, like clip view, that might be enough with respect to scaling.

I agree that the browser is a different topic, but in its current state, it's driving me nuts. Let's say you want to use and audition wav samples from a number of Kontakt libraries in Live – good luck! (Hint: these samples are always stored in a subfolder called ... Samples.)

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:56 pm

...scroll down a little bit... https://twitter.com/hashtag/ableton10?src=hash
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:29 pm

antic604 wrote:
scheffkoch wrote:...scroll down a little bit... https://twitter.com/hashtag/ableton10?src=hash
And what will we see exactly? Are you talking about that UI re-work that a guy pitched to get a job at Ableton?
yes it's a "fan mockup" but I think this one is a different dude, it's this fella -

https://dribbble.com/shots/2255100-Able ... nts/422134

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:58 pm

Angstrom wrote: yes it's a "fan mockup" but I think this one is a different dude, it's this fella -
It's dreadful actually. Let's hope this is not it. I really feel Ableton can do way, way much better than this whiffle-whaffle:

Make some music!

Amythofficial

Post by Amythofficial » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:10 pm

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:45 am

The 9|10 upgrade marketing collateral includes conference badges yeah. So I recks its for Loop. I mean resellers aren't going to wear those badges, it'd be like them old "My other car's a Ferrari" stickers. So 10 gets teased at Loop, but only released a month or so later.

Btw if the 9|10 offer needed a theme song, then Photek's Ni-Ten-Ichi-Ryu.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:18 pm

I remember when the Hidden Camera EP came out in '96 and kicked off with K.J.Z. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrnyAheEmgA
I think it altered my own style by about 20% right there. Probably not a great thing to have happened to me really, my stylistic change being welcomed like a Swiss funk act. But hey, good tunes from Photek..

Meanwhile: LANYARDS!!!
yeah.

steko

Post by steko » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:11 pm

Fuck, who much I still love those tracks (K.J.Z 5:23! - Rings Around Saturn! …)

Photek is one of the reasons I went E-MU...

DnB 1996 (LolaDaMusica) part2: Photek - YouTube
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6