Lost in the Apple-verse

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
TomKern
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: Lost in the Apple-verse

Post by TomKern » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:52 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
TomKern wrote:
:evil:
Now there is something evil I would not touch with a ten foot pole. Those guys are outright fascists. They don't leave it at spying on your money flow, they decide what you can do with your money for you. (look up the scandal of how they held back donations to Wikileaks after the Manning leaks)
Well, all banks more or less are evil. I'm open for suggestions though and Apple should be as well.

Bitcoin

And if it is only for privacy: gift cards (bought with cash at stores) already work nicely.

continuous
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:11 pm
Location: PDX

Re: Lost in the Apple-verse

Post by continuous » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:49 am

Thanx so much for all the replies and feedback and the socio-political discussion. :P The Ableton forum members NEVER disappoint!!!

I am currently on hold with Apple support, trying to see if they'll add El Capitan to my 'previously purchased' list. Maybe I'm cynical, but I doubt they will make it available to me. It kinda sucks they are wiping old versions off the app store so quickly.

cheers all!

Edit: HA! Only seconds later... no dice, but they really tried to help!

sinnatagg
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:45 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway
Contact:

Re: Lost in the Apple-verse

Post by sinnatagg » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:37 pm

Use the link on this page to get to el-capitan in the app store:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

continuous
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:11 pm
Location: PDX

Re: Lost in the Apple-verse

Post by continuous » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:19 pm

sinnatagg wrote:Use the link on this page to get to el-capitan in the app store:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886
Thanks very much for the link sinnatagg. I have been through the links on that page and they will not allow me to update to El Capitan. If your system is running at 10.7 or higher (I'm at 10.7.5) Apple will only allow you to update to Sierra from the App Store. If you are still on 10.6.8 Apple will allow you to update to El Capitan but that update is specifically for users who are not able to update to Sierra. Been through all of this with Apple's support service... it's pretty silly. I miss the days of having my OS on a disc that I could purchase/install from.

Appreciate your efforts though!

sinnatagg
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:45 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway
Contact:

Re: Lost in the Apple-verse

Post by sinnatagg » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:06 am

continuous wrote:
Thanks very much for the link sinnatagg. I have been through the links on that page and they will not allow me to update to El Capitan. If your system is running at 10.7 or higher (I'm at 10.7.5) Apple will only allow you to update to Sierra from the App Store. If you are still on 10.6.8 Apple will allow you to update to El Capitan but that update is specifically for users who are not able to update to Sierra. Been through all of this with Apple's support service... it's pretty silly. I miss the days of having my OS on a disc that I could purchase/install from.

Appreciate your efforts though!
One of the links points to el-capitan on the app store (https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-ca ... 5434?mt=12). Click it and the app store should pop up. Maybe you have to use safari on the right mac. I don't know.

FWIW I updated to 10.10 from 10.9 using a similar page for Yosemite long after 10.11 (and maybe even after 10.12) was released.

continuous
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:11 pm
Location: PDX

Re: Lost in the Apple-verse

Post by continuous » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:42 am

sinnatagg wrote:
continuous wrote:
Thanks very much for the link sinnatagg. I have been through the links on that page and they will not allow me to update to El Capitan. If your system is running at 10.7 or higher (I'm at 10.7.5) Apple will only allow you to update to Sierra from the App Store. If you are still on 10.6.8 Apple will allow you to update to El Capitan but that update is specifically for users who are not able to update to Sierra. Been through all of this with Apple's support service... it's pretty silly. I miss the days of having my OS on a disc that I could purchase/install from.

Appreciate your efforts though!
One of the links points to el-capitan on the app store (https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-ca ... 5434?mt=12). Click it and the app store should pop up.

FWIW I updated to 10.10 from 10.9 using a similar page for Yosemite long after 10.11 (and maybe even after 10.12) was released.

Thanks sinnatagg - I will try the link first thing tomorrow. I'll be thrilled if it works!

EDIT: Ya, not sure what's up with Apple these days, but that link takes me to the same page which states: "This version of OS X El Capitan is for users running OS X Snow Leopard who would like to upgrade to macOS Sierra... blah blah blah... when trying to DL the update I get a message stating: "This version of OS 10.11 cannot be installed on this computer."

Basically, Apple is forcing users to upgrade to Sierra, regardless of the consequences for that user in regards to incompatibilities.

I won't take up anymore forum space with this peeps, hopefully it was helpful to someone else in a similar sitch.

stringtapper
Posts: 6275
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: Lost in the Apple-verse

Post by stringtapper » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:45 pm

Have you tried formatting a USB drive as an El Capitan install? You can boot the computer from the drive and it should bypass the installed OS and run the El Capitan installer as long as the machine can run 10.11.
Unsound Designer

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: Lost in the Apple-verse

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:02 pm

stringtapper wrote:Have you tried formatting a USB drive as an El Capitan install? You can boot the computer from the drive and it should bypass the installed OS and run the El Capitan installer as long as the machine can run 10.11.
Booting from another system is the only method to downgrade OS X anyway. But you need the installer for the major version you want in the first place and it's not wise to download a torrent these days. The days of the untargeted Mac platform are over. Know your sources! Anyone can share their original El Capitan installer. Just remove the MASReceipt from Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/_MASReceipt/ (Right-click and Show Contents on the installer).

I think it's very unwise of Apple to make it impossible to downgrade. I get the security aspect, but then they need to fully own incompatibilities with software people want to use and have paid sometime big money for. They can make it hard, but it should be possible. Bad Apples!
Make some music!

Post Reply