Ableton Acquires Cycling '74

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
stringtapper

Ableton Acquires Cycling '74

Post by stringtapper » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:23 pm

http://cdm.link/2017/06/exclusive-ablet ... -the-deal/

http://cdm.link/2017/06/conversation-da ... rd-behles/

Biggish news that I have suspected for some time would eventually happen.

Hopefully this means that Max can be more fully integrated into Live in future iterations.
Unsound Designer

H20nly

Re: Ableton Acquires Cycling '74

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:34 pm

8)

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:03 pm

Yay, that sounds wonderful... /someone, not me
:|

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:19 pm

Finally, a really exciting news!
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:03 pm

Hopefully together they can develop a nice stable modern modular DSP tool.
Ableton has all these devices, lovely filters, nice displays ... and for years all I have wanted is to connect them up so I can make patches. I am a patcher. I like patching because it's neither high nor low level. It's not preset flipping and it's not soldering resistors.
Max has all the patching but it's accessed in the way an API user might recognise, so rather than some immediate act of intuitive creation it's a process of looking up documentation and examining logs for errors, then asking forums for answers, then discovering there's a known bug. My day job essentially.

So, I really hope that this acquisition brings an integrated and robust modular patching system to Live. Intuitive drag and drop of audio routing and modulation. Drag three Cytomic filters together and link them to 5 envelopes, put the delay into the path of Operator, connect the key tracking to the delay speed. Make this a task which takes 5 seconds, drag, drop, done. Make it so that it all stays functional 3 years later. Make it so that its robust enough to take on stage.

That's what I want from this merger.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:38 pm

^ Amen.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:41 pm

I know about what I want to see, but I have no hopes from this future venture.
Make some music!

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:06 pm

This is some exciting stuff.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:20 am

TomKern wrote:Yay, that sounds wonderful... /someone, not me
:|
Aren't you one of the guys who's been bitching about M4L stability for years?

If so, then this is actually good news.
Unsound Designer

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:22 am

Stromkraft wrote:I know about what I want to see, but I have no hopes from this future venture.
Having any hope for anything at all was your first mistake.

Expect nothing and then maybe someday before you die in a few years you'll find a few seconds of satisfaction.
Unsound Designer

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:32 am

But seriously, the negative thinking coming from both the Max and Live camps about this news is very reactionary and not forward thinking at all.

I see it as a signal of really good things to come.

Things good enough to make me use Ableton Live more than I do the Ableton Forum, which hasn't been the case lately.
Unsound Designer

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:36 am

stringtapper wrote:But seriously, the negative thinking coming from both the Max and Live camps about this news is very reactionary and not forward thinking at all.

I see it as a signal of really good things to come.

Things good enough to make me use Ableton Live more than I do the Ableton Forum, which hasn't been the case lately.
I'm in your camp. I wasn't a fan of the partnership originally because I knew things like SysEx implementation wouldn't be addressed even years later because they aren't going to give total
access to each others code, so bug fixing would have to happen with both sides slightly in the dark. Now, they can give total access. This is great news!

I could actually see this making for all kinds of things I thought wouldn't happen in Live being things we can add in if we want to. MPE, Poly Aftertouch, more integration video editing wise etc.
It's very very possible to get at the very least all the functionality of Max MSP in Max 4 Live, and that's nothing to shrug at. It's also very possible Live becomes modular in design in general.

I see nothing but good things from this. 8)

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:41 am

Ableton could be a context where people can make use of it, be exposed to it, construct it. From Ableton’s side, Max has always been a thing that’s been used to prototype stuff [at Ableton]. And our hope is that if transformation into these larger, newer contexts is a big part of what needs to happen, that prototyping and prototyping via Max and what we’re working on is very valuable.
The "prototype" of the LFO works OK(ish) already.
Now would you p l e a s e finish and make it a real Live device?! :wink:

No sorry, if M4L hadn't been used so much to excuse not giving new (essential!) native devices to us, I might be optimistic too (or at least indifferent), the way it is though I expect more of the same BS.
A static main program and more and more stuff done instead in M4L.

This is exactly the way I didn't want Ableton to go forward :x

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:28 pm

TomKern wrote: No sorry, if M4L hadn't been used so much to excuse not giving new (essential!) native devices...
Could you please give me an example of an essential native device that's missing? I must know!

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:47 pm

LOFA wrote:
TomKern wrote: No sorry, if M4L hadn't been used so much to excuse not giving new (essential!) native devices...
Could you please give me an example of an essential native device that's missing? I must know!
Are you for real?!

I even mentioned the LFO in my post :roll:

And if you are now planning to go on a tired rant about how a LFO is not essential, I'll simply point out that neither M4L nor Live itself is "essential" :wink:

Anyway thanks, good talk...