Suggestions for a new Windows Laptop/Desktop

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
cmarchione

Suggestions for a new Windows Laptop/Desktop

Post by cmarchione » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:01 pm

I'm just getting into Ableton Live 9 Suite and my 1 year old HP Laptop is obviously not a good home for a DAW...my sessions die a slow death each time I work. I've been researching ASUS Zenbook Pro and ROG laptops (and towers), MSI gaming and Lenova Yoga. I need this laptop (or desktop) from start to finish including during LIVE performances. Current minimum requirements would be i7 processor/quad, 16gb RAM, SSD hard drive and HDMI and USB ports. I also would prefer that the fan not kick on every few minutes :wink: Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

yur2die4

Re: Suggestions for a new Windows Laptop/Desktop

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:04 pm

Curious about your current stats. Just double-checking to see that you're making a real improvement and not planning to buy something only marginally more powerful only to get the same results

cmarchione

Post by cmarchione » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:26 pm

Current HP specs: i5-6200U Processor (2 cores) 3MB 2.30 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD
And all unnecessary services are stopped or disabled.

redglass

Post by redglass » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:09 pm

Before you buy another laptop I would swap the hd against a ssd. Go to hp forum for help. I did so with my hp x360 which has your specs.

chiefwuhog

Post by chiefwuhog » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:39 pm

i got a hpzbook17,they got decent prices on ebay,most have 16 gb ram(mines 32),ssd drives and i7 processors.full hd screen.They are huge,but its a good cross between laptop and desktop.i believe ya can have 3 harddrives,2 batterys and up to 64 gb ram.i can run ableton and vegas and much more at sametime.check specs yourself to be sure but i wreckon they can run most software