Do you use Windows or Mac OS X as OS for Live?

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production

Which OS do you use to work with Ableton Live or which is your favourite if you use several?

Macintosh OS X
64%
Windows
36%
Other, as it is possible
No votes

Total votes: 56

Angstrom

Re: Do you use Windows or Mac OS X as OS for Live?

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:42 pm

doghouse wrote:
Angstrom wrote:the exceptional structural design of the Apple laptops from 2000 to 2012ish and compare those to the flexy plastic abominations on the PC market at that time ... it's easy to see why a Mac Laptop was the choice for those who could afford it
As an EE working in the computer industry for many years my feeling has always been that a Windows machine built to the same level of quality as a Mac costs about the same. People see $300 Windows laptops and figure why buy a $1000 MacBook. But a Surface Pro starts at $800!!!

I have used a number of inexpensive Windows laptops from name brands like HP, Compaq, Dell, etc. and in heavy use none has lasted more even 4 years before dying....keyboards, disks, trackpads, power supplies, displays and other major components have crapped out. They are literally throwaway machines. The machines sold to corporate users designed to be maintained for many years fare much better but cost 2-3x as much as the consumer grade machines. So you do get what you pay for. It's not at all OS related.
For sure. I guess you are agreeing with me because that's pretty much what I was saying.
As I am a Windows-based person I was always on the search for a powerful Windows laptop which was as robust and capable as a Macbook. I think your assessment is correct, the bulk of Windows laptops are mostly built to be disposable so that corporate purchasing could write them off against tax every 2 years. Many are made for students as cheap study tools.
Of course in the past I also looked at gaming laptops as a Macbook alternative - powerhouses which look like a 12 year olds doodle of an alien spaceship complete with vents and jet thrusters all drawn with garish primary colours. Abominations.

These days there are a few powerful and robust sleep Windows machines, and they are in some ways more powerful than the latest Macbook Pro depending how you measure it. I think the Razer Blade has the 8th gen i7 while the latest macbook has the 7th gen. The razer has better graphics hardware, the macbook has better storage expansion capabilities. The razer has better connectivity. etc, but is a bit heavier.
If I wanted a Windows laptop powerhouse I might get a Razer with all the trimmings then the most expensive model is $3000 usd, and I think the macbook is slightly more.

However - I realised that performing live I need simplicity as per the old essay by Robert Henke which i still consider required reading for live computer performers. So my windows laptop is really just a sample-bank, an i5. It's a reasonably robust Asus thing which cost me £600. My desktop/studio machine was a few grand of the best parts I could find. But for me that's two different use-cases requiring different setups.

My point about Macs is NOT that they are expensive. It's this:
When I see lifelong Macheads asking for recommendations for a new Macbook off other lifelong Macheads the most common answer I see is "get the 2016 Macbook pro".
That's really weird, and it's not a price thing.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:41 pm

shiter wrote:Hi Community,

I actually working on a Windows-PC with Ableton Live Suite, but Live just stucks any 2-3 Minutes, when i want to apply any effects or options from Live.
It may high-probably be, that i´ve got no high-performance-hardware on my Windows-PC. I´m using 4 GB RAM and a Intel i3-4005U Processor on my Notebook.

But unrelated and unminded from the fact, that i got not really good high-end-performance ressources, i´m thinking about to may purchase a Apple Macintosh-Computer, for the reputation to be a better audio-processing environment. And for this after all thoughts and plans how i want go further i only have the question, which OS and what kind of Hardware do you use as CPU? and RAM and how many Cores or Capacity does it has, so that you can say there are no problems with the Processing of Ableton Live on your Computer?

Thanks for any reply.

And Thanks everyone for read.
Robert
are you using an HDD (platter drive) in your laptop? if so, there's your bottleneck. Windows 10 is pure garbage on an HDD... an SSD is the only way to get it act right. if you open the Task Manager, click More Details, and click the Performance tab when you have the issue, and if you have an HDD, i guarantee you will see the Disk at 99 or 100 percent.

i use an iMac at home with Live. At work, we are a Windows domain with about 375 workstations... we took the "free" upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and quickly learned that Windows 10 on a HDD can hardly handle booting let alone real work. So we've spent the last year or so upgrading by imaging over the hard drives to SSDs and redeploying the workstations.

you really could use some more RAM too.
it's not an Operating System issue, it's a hardware issue you're having. Take your pick between PC and Mac, but either way get an SSD and at least 8 GB of RAM.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:51 pm

Angstrom wrote:I think the Razer Blade has the 8th gen i7 while the latest macbook has the 7th gen.
Did you actually mean Macbooks and not Macbook Pros? Because there are no current MacBooks with a 7th gen i7 except the special build 1.4 12" (Mid-2017) with 7th Gen Duocore i7 (the first i7 non-pro MacBook I think). Hardly a contender here.

The new Macbook Pros are all 8th Generation "Coffee Lake":
  • 2.3 GHz Intel 4-core i5 (8259U)
  • 2.7 GHz Intel 4-core i7 (8559U)
  • 2.2 GHz Intel 6-core i7 (8750H)
  • 2.6 GHz Intel 6-core i7 (8850H)
  • 2.9 GHz Intel 6-core i9"(8950HK)
Angstrom wrote: When I see lifelong Macheads asking for recommendations for a new Macbook off other lifelong Macheads the most common answer I see is "get the 2016 Macbook pro".
It's not that weird considering music users are typically conservative and have invested in old hardware and cabling they want to keep. Most of these issues can be overcome and soon fewer machines will be sold with not much else than Thunderbolt III.
The touch bar doesn't help much either, though I can see many uses for this for music related applications.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Make some music!

Post by 102455 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:57 pm

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:08 pm

Stromkraft wrote:it's Mac and macOS or more generally Mac OS (X). MAC in all capitals is an abbreviation for Machine Address Code, typically a unique number on a network device.
:|

:lol:
jestermgee wrote:pretty sure readers would have cracked that cryptic code.
this.

the guy asked what kind of computer to buy, not to take a networking class. what's next Layer 3 switching?

why stop there? MAC also stands for Media Access Control, Mandatory Access Control, Make-Up Art Cosmetics, Military Airlift Command, Maximum Allowable Concentration... and much much more!

why split just one hair when you can hack the whole wig?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:12 pm

H20nly wrote:
why split just one hair when you can hack the whole wig?
:mrgreen: Your shenanigans are always welcome. H20nly,
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:17 pm

H20nly wrote: the guy asked what kind of computer to buy, not to take a networking class. what's next Layer 3 switching?
It was jestermgee that messed up the terminology, not the OP. Please keep to the facts.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:22 pm

H20nly wrote:MAC also stands for Media Access Control
Actually that's quite correct! I edited my previous incorrect answer as this was what I meant. Thank you. You got it in you, H20nly! You correct terminology when you want and you don't seem to know that you are. That's just hilarious.

See how you can learn things talking instead of whining?
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:26 pm

This got me thinking to start a new thread on excellent machines for Ableton Live.
Make some music!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:34 pm

you already started your own thread inside this one :lol:

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:44 pm

Angstrom wrote: My point about Macs is NOT that they are expensive. It's this:
When I see lifelong Macheads asking for recommendations for a new Macbook off other lifelong Macheads the most common answer I see is "get the 2016 Macbook pro".
it is a bit of a quandary. the 2012 MBPs are the last model where you can effectively do your own RAM and drive upgrades. and the 2015 model is the last model with decent keyboards, and a range of IO ports.

i have been avoiding upgrading my 2014 MBP, and entering the land of dongles, but with the hexacores i think the time has come...
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:31 pm

As we speak, I almost have my new machine for a year now, and I'm happy with my Intel based Windows 10 machine. The only thing I would like to upgrade in the future is the HDD for another M2 drive. My system drive is M2, and that is lightning fast.

M2 are getting cheaper slowly, and once it reaches a point whereI can justify for myself that it worth of doing it, I will do so.

We have had several Mac's in our household, but I prefer Windows based machines for working with music.

I have an i7-7700 4 core CPU, 16 GB ram, a M2 for sytem (256GB), and a 2 TB HDD for storage. As said before I would add another M2 as work drive for audiofiles and samples.

I see a PC or a Mac as a tool, not as a religion or way of life, so it is easy for me to work on things on a Mac, PC or Linux machine, just as it comes...... I think Mac's have a beautifull design, and look the bomb. But as said, it is just a tool!
Greetings from Miyaru.

Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Korg R3, NI Massive, Air Hybrid 3, Rob Papen's Predator 2, Sonarworks Reference 4 and Scaler.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:16 pm

Stromkraft wrote: It was jestermgee that messed up the terminology, not the OP. Please keep to the facts.
:lol:

I should apologize for not being 100% correct in all my posts and using an acronymous term when it wasn't required. It completely threw this thread off its axis with my uneducated contribution but thankfully the boards *AutoKorektor* caught it and avoided catastrophe.

Sorry if anyone was confused by the term MAC vs Mac in a "Mac v Windows" thread ......... :roll:

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:47 am

ok, can we get back to the topic please? Strom, please could you try not to be so smug?
Ableton Forum Moderator