Vocal Recording

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
olracyayo

Vocal Recording

Post by olracyayo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:43 pm

so I'm new with recording my vocals using Ableton Live. It's weird though because my voice is a little late when I hear it in my headphones/speakers. What do I need to do to fix this? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Styles Bitchly

Re: Vocal Recording

Post by Styles Bitchly » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:26 pm

olracyayo wrote:so I'm new with recording my vocals using Ableton Live. It's weird though because my voice is a little late when I hear it in my headphones/speakers. What do I need to do to fix this? Your help would be greatly appreciated!
Try singing a bit earlier. :mrgreen:

fulses

Post by fulses » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:07 am

You are using software monitoring which introduces latency as the signal you hear passes through the computer and back out to your headphones. If you have to use software monitoring you can try lowering the buffer size to reduce latency. If that doesn't cut it then you should explore direct hardware monitoring, pretty much all modern audio interfaces support this, this method has no latency however you will only be able to monitor your dry vocals without effects.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:18 am

fulses wrote: this method has no latency however you will only be able to monitor your dry vocals without effects.
…without the effects in Live. Some audio interfaces have built-in effects. Commonly these are used for monitoring only, but vocals could be recorded with these as well I suppose.
Make some music!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:13 am

if your interface does not have built-in effects, you can also direct-monitor the dry signal and software-monitor some wet effects (especially delay and reverb)...