Let’s talk back ups.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
autodidactic

Re: Let’s talk back ups.

Post by autodidactic » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:53 am

Lots of good solutions already mentioned here. Nobody seems to have mentioned ZFS so I'll add some ZFS based options.

What is ZFS?

ZFS stands for Zetabyte File System. It is an enterprise grade high capacity file system used by the likes of Netflix, Disney and Adobe. It has raid and time machine like features baked in. Unlike your NTFS and HFS+, it is both a file system and volume manager all in one. It has features like snapshots and cloning and allows you to setup groups of disks into pools that are then formatted into raidz configurations.ZFS was originally developed by SUN microsystems and has since been open sourced as the OpenZFS project. You can run ZFS on any Unix like system like MacOS, FreeBSD, Linux, Illumos etc.

That sounds really complicated. Enter FreeNAS

While you can install ZFS on any Unix, only Illumos and FreeBSD come with it installed out of the gate. On MacOS and Linux, you have to install some kernel extensions which may be more work than you want to do. FreeNAS is a FreeBSD based appliance like OS that gives you a nice GUI and takes all the pain out of setting up a machine for ZFS. You install it on a machine, plug in an ethernet cable and control it via a web based GUI. FreeNAS takes a powerful enterprise tool and makes it easy to use for home and small office users.

Unlike most operating systems, FreeNAS is meant to be installed and run from a USB drive. The OS runs from the USB so you can use all your internal drives for your ZFS array. You may find online that there is a machine called a FreeNAS mini. The company that sponsors the FreeNAS project makes this machine. It's a very nice machine which further streamlines FreeNAS and comes with support but it is not required though. You can install FreeNAS on any machine that you like.

FreeNAS also has nice plugins. It has support for SMB (Windows) AFP (Apple's file sharing protocols including time machine). There are also plugins for hosting your Plex, Kodi, UseNet, Virtual machines and much more. It is an extremely handy little OS.

FreeNAS Alternatives

I like and use FreeNAS so that is why I have given the info based on that OS. There are however other ZFS based solutions. I don't know much about them since FreeNAS is the one I started with and stuck with. The only one that I have heard of is NAS4Free. https://www.nas4free.org/index.php?id=3

My Use Case
I currently run OpenZFS on my hackintosh's storage drive and have a spare machine that I run FreeNAS on. I do nightly backups of everything in my hackintosh ZFS drive to my FreeNAS box. In addition to ZFS, I also have a DropBox subscription for 1 TB of instant backups for work I've done. I don't use DropBox for anything sensitive like financial records etc. For storing that sort of info I've been looking into a service called TarSnap.They charge in pico dollars so you know they're cheap.

The selling points for TarSnap are A) they encrypt all the data before it's sent to the cloud, and B) their client software is open source so you can audit the code if you want to. Be aware though that you are responsible for your encryption key. If you lose it, you lose the only way to access your data.

jbodango

Re: Let’s talk back ups.

Post by jbodango » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:46 am

I've been using Perforce successfully for over 4 years.

I'm able to manage binary (wav and aiff) and session files, presets all pretty seamlessly.

YMWV.