What is the cheapest MacBook for Live 9?

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
Post Reply
guitar346
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:24 am

What is the cheapest MacBook for Live 9?

Post by guitar346 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:49 am

I typically use a maxed out Macbook Pro 2017. I don't want to travel with it. Will a bottom end MacBook or Macbook Air be sufficient for Live 9? Basic stuff like editing.

Tarekith
Posts: 17333
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Re: What is the cheapest MacBook for Live 9?

Post by Tarekith » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:33 am

Defintely, any Mac from the lasty 6-7 years is probably fine for basic stuff.

antic604
Posts: 576
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:14 am
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: What is the cheapest MacBook for Live 9?

Post by antic604 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:38 am

guitar346 wrote:I typically use a maxed out Macbook Pro 2017. I don't want to travel with it. Will a bottom end MacBook or Macbook Air be sufficient for Live 9? Basic stuff like editing.
Editing of what? Full projects that you've done on MBP '17?

You probably know what your MBP '17 is capable of in terms of maximum load, so just work down from there reducing the number of cores, frequency and memory to get to your lowest acceptable spec. Personally I'd hesitate from going to the lowest m3/m5 models, but the entry i5 should be good enough. Going just by the number of cores & clock (avg. of normal and boost), the MacBook i5 should give you 1/3 of maxed out MBP '17 and MacBook m5 should be around 1/4, which are easily translatable into number of tracks, plugins, etc.

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: What is the cheapest MacBook for Live 9?

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:48 pm

antic604 wrote:Going just by the number of cores & clock (avg. of normal and boost), the MacBook i5 should give you 1/3 of maxed out MBP '17 and MacBook m5 should be around 1/4, which are easily translatable into number of tracks, plugins, etc.
I really think 4 cores should always be minimum with Live. I can see that a duocore i5 may be good enough for mixing audio tracks, depending on what one puts on these, but for software instrumentation I really think you need a minimum of 4 cores for a full track. And I'm a minimalist in many ways.
Make some music!

wascal
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 3:14 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: What is the cheapest MacBook for Live 9?

Post by wascal » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:05 pm

I can vouch for a Macbook Pro mid 2012 handling Live and multiple instances of UHe Dive etc easily.
TTKK / NOODLES / iANDALE! / TIGERBEAT6 / HOT & HEAVY etc
http://www.soundcloud.com/wascal

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: What is the cheapest MacBook for Live 9?

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:50 pm

wascal wrote:I can vouch for a Macbook Pro mid 2012 handling Live and multiple instances of UHe Dive etc easily.
That's not being specific. A 13" with a duocore CPU and a 15" with a quadcore are two totally different machines from a performance perspective.

I think the OP has to realize that one cannot overgeneralize these things. It all comes down to the actual projects and their makeup.
Make some music!

wascal
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 3:14 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: What is the cheapest MacBook for Live 9?

Post by wascal » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:26 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
wascal wrote:I can vouch for a Macbook Pro mid 2012 handling Live and multiple instances of UHe Dive etc easily.
That's not being specific. A 13" with a duocore CPU and a 15" with a quadcore are two totally different machines from a performance perspective.

I think the OP has to realize that one cannot overgeneralize these things. It all comes down to the actual projects and their makeup.
True - Its a Quadcore i7 with 16gb in it + an SSD instead of the standard drive, which is now installed as a 2nd HDD instead of the CD Drive. Had a quick check on Gumtree and you're looking at about £650-800 for that kind of spec 2nd hand.
TTKK / NOODLES / iANDALE! / TIGERBEAT6 / HOT & HEAVY etc
http://www.soundcloud.com/wascal

Post Reply