Music streaming services

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Khazul

Music streaming services

Post by Khazul » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:39 am

Which music streaming service has the best understand of genres of dance music, particular sub-genres of house?
Any that carry decent DJ sets/playlists?

Ie something that when you ask for common sub genre of house you might actually stand a good change of getting that rather than random possibly tempo selected pop.

I have an amazon music sub that I might cancel because that is really awful from this perspective (I have prime anyway) - whoever creates there house sub-genres playlists really needs to be put up against a wall and shot :)

Thanks
Nothing to see here - move along!

Richie Witch

Re: Music streaming services

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:55 pm

Digitally Imported -- di.fm

All electronic music, all the time. A hundred different sub-genres and DJ-curated sets, live streamed performances from around the world, pretty much everything you could ever ask for when it comes to House, Trance, Techno, Ambient, etc.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:16 am

@Antic I think amazon have a decent enough track selection like google play. This issue I have is discovery and good genre specific playlists (its the playlists I find to be awful). If you know exactly what you are after - ie found the track somewhere else and its mainstream enough, then it often has it.

Where i think Amazon music is good (and maybe this is also true of google play) is if there are singles/albums that you like, you can add them to your online library, almost as if you have bought them (you just cant download them for offline play like your really own them). Ill have a look another at google play./

@Richie - thanks will check them out - their premium service looks interesting and sounds much more what I'm after. I didnt mention internet radio simply because those I had come across either were all-out pirate (or at least I cant see how they finance themselves as they have no ads), or those that are more commercial sounding are so overrun with really loud and frequent ads as to make them near impossible to listen to on a decent sound system + audio quality is often poor.

For internet radio the only ad filled one I tolerate is Select UK and otherwise I tend to listen the Caprice radio stations for house/trance etc just because they have no ads and track selection is often quite decent, but stream quality is not good of course (its free)

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:39 pm

Khazul wrote:@Richie - thanks will check them out - their premium service looks interesting and sounds much more what I'm after. I didnt mention internet radio simply because those I had come across either were all-out pirate (or at least I cant see how they finance themselves as they have no ads), or those that are more commercial sounding are so overrun with really loud and frequent ads as to make them near impossible to listen to on a decent sound system + audio quality is often poor.
I know what you mean. I'd been listening to DI for years, but about a year ago, I had had enough of ads, especially when chilling to Ambient, and signed up for Premium. Can't imagine not having it now.

The bump up in streaming quality was a bit of a pain at first, especially at airports and other public wifi, but they've fixed their app to automatically shift the quality up and down based on available bandwidth, so you no longer have to adjust it manually.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:25 pm

Yes - it kind of makes it impossible to zombie out on the couch with a bottle of something listening to deep or soulful house when you get blasted by an ad every few mins and have to dive for the volume control...

Ive just paid a month sub on di to try it out - I like that I can get keyed 320k streams as that works with my yamaha AV receiver via vtuner (vtuner has a hardware vendor web app into which you enter your AV amp unique ID and it maintains your private streams collection).

I see your in florida - ideal place for chilling in the sun - over here we have to make do with 'sunlight' LED lighting, an IR heater (so at least it feels like sun on your face with eyes closed) and some background surf noises becuase typically outside its grey and cold and pissing down with rain :)

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:13 pm

Khazul wrote:I see your in Florida - ideal place for chilling in the sun - over here we have to make do with 'sunlight' LED lighting, an IR heater (so at least it feels like sun on your face with eyes closed) and some background surf noises because typically outside its grey and cold and pissing down with rain :)
LOL, don't get me started. Living in Florida is like living in a miserable sauna from May to October, with a temp of 95 degrees during the day and never below 80 degrees at night, and the humidity is generally around 90%. The grass literally steams during the day. No one lives here in the summer if they can help it.

It's already 87 degrees here this morning, and it's not even noon. :lol:

But then, I'm a huge fan of the Seattle, with it's constant gray skies and frequent drizzle. Lived there for 12 years and would go back in a heartbeat--even though I'm a Los Angeles native. But I'm a mercenary who goes where the money is, and for now, it's here in Florida.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:19 pm

Yes - been to both places quite a bit for work (Used to work for a large company based in Seatle, though I worked in the UK) and been to Miami, Orlando and Daytona quite a bit (Not sure Avis were impressed with my abusing the hire car on Daytona beach, but whatever - nothing wrong with it - just covered in sand ;p).

I think there was one trip to Seattle where it wasnt also grey and miserable - nice sunny day in winter where you could see the snow covered mountains - else was always worse than here.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:40 pm

We just got done with our driest and hottest summer ever here in Seattle, something like 90+ days in a row of sun and no rain. :)
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:37 pm

^ OMG - ocean currents must have flipped ;p