Live 10 upgrade path

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
William
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:04 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by William » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:37 am

empirix wrote:the upgrade price is a joke, no way is it worthbthst
pure greed. ill stick with suite 9.
Completely agree.
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9

Chameleon Factor
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by Chameleon Factor » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:13 pm

[jur] wrote:
sowhoso wrote:go make some music
Please, don't be rude.
thx
That's ridiculous. It wasn't Sowhoso who was being rude - s/he was responding in kind to someone who was rude first. Tell them off instead.

Sometimes Ableton really give the impression that they hate their customers.

H20nly
Posts: 15853
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by H20nly » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:35 pm

Trump2016 wrote:it's bordering on unethical in my opinion.
:lol:

kitekrazy
Posts: 724
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by kitekrazy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:35 pm

Chameleon Factor wrote:
[jur] wrote:
sowhoso wrote:go make some music
Please, don't be rude.
thx
That's ridiculous. It wasn't Sowhoso who was being rude - s/he was responding in kind to someone who was rude first. Tell them off instead.

Sometimes Ableton really give the impression that they hate their customers.
I think you missed the humor in that post.

H20nly
Posts: 15853
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by H20nly » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:59 pm

in my mind's eye it can be read two ways;

1. please don't be rude with comments like that sowhoso
2. please don't be rude, go make some music like sowhoso suggested



it's an enigma.

Image

the world may never know...

[jur]
Site Admin
Posts: 1404
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:04 pm
Location: Ableton

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by [jur] » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:29 am

Actually I meant don't be cruel
Ableton Forum Moderator

Machinesworking
Posts: 11087
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:12 am

H20nly wrote:in my mind's eye it can be read two ways;

1. please don't be rude with comments like that sowhoso
2. please don't be rude, go make some music like sowhoso suggested



it's an enigma.

Image

the world may never know...
I took it a third way, like the idea of making music was insulting compared to making a point on the internet on a forum! :x
Sarcasm, doesn't translate on the internet, noticed that.

H20nly
Posts: 15853
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:52 pm

good eye.

but...


Image

Forge.
Posts: 5798
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:16 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by Forge. » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:32 am

wow, after about a billion years I came back here because I've actually been messing around with Live + the Push again after about the same amount of time, and surprising to see so many old names still here. Apart from just wanting to stick my head in and say hello to you reprobates still hanging around, also by some kind of rare aligning of the planets I have something to add to the Logic/Reaper part of the conversation, after recently finding myself helping someone at a Buddhist centre with Reaper for editing the lectures, so I was confronted with being reminded what an amazingly powerful program it is, basically for free if you like, which I described to the woman editing the lectures as like swatting a fly with a Sherman tank, which I'm sure appealed to her Buddhist sensibilities. But I recommended it because she was still using Cool Edit, which I used literally two decades ago. They finally upgraded the computer, and at some point she wants to get into editing video lectures too, so Reaper was a no-brainer, and I suggested worth getting used to the workflow so that she'll be familiar by the time they get into video. I just had to stress that all those insanely huge amount of features might be really useful one day, but just ignore most of it for now. Hard to compete with such a powerful program paid for with the honour system.

Then Logic — my son is in his last year of school at a music college and weirdly has barely ever used Ableton, and mostly started with Logic (as I did about 20 years ago), so I also found myself trying to familiarise myself with Live 10 after barely any time with it, and noticing his expectations of how to use it based on Logic. It was interesting after all these years (apart from the strangeness that I hadn't already got him using it years ago) to hear myself explaining that I think a lot of the direction is aimed at closer integration with Push, and it's moving further away from the more linear DAW functionality. Which is what I've always wanted really. But interesting to hear how everyone else interprets that.

With the pricing — I have no idea what it is, although my son said one of his mates was bitching about it being a lot. I had to say that when Live first came out, there were yearly updates for several years, but it's stayed on Live 9 for almost as long as it took to go from maybe 1-7 or 8, so there's a lot of years of trying to only get income from new users, in a time where everyone expects everything for free, and people are probably more using apps on phones and iPads that cost fk all, and nobody pays more than an Apple Music or Spotify subscription cost for recorded music.

I really like Wavetable, Echo, and Drum Bus a lot. Haven't really delved deeply enough to comment on much else yet though really.

I've missed the emoticons here - especially this one: 8O

Nokatus
Posts: 1053
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:06 am

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by Nokatus » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:27 pm

Forge. wrote:surprising to see so many old names still here. Apart from just wanting to stick my head in and say hello to you reprobates still hanging around, also by some kind of rare aligning of the planets I have something to add to the Logic/Reaper part of the conversation, after recently finding myself helping someone at a Buddhist centre with Reaper for editing the lectures, so I was confronted with being reminded what an amazingly powerful program it is
This is seriously strange and funny, as I've been having exactly this feeling around here lately, too. Coming back to Live more strongly than in a looong time, now that version 10 hit. Already bought a license, even, eh. And like you, I've had this... sort of... "wow it's like I'm a decade in the past" type of feeling now that I've been reading the forum more. And also, a lot of Reaper experience here, also with a similar vibe to what you're describing: in turn, I've been on a Studio One --> Reaper journey, after finally clicking 100% with the latter a couple of years ago.

But oh oh oh Live 10 has definitely brought me back to Live in a good way. I've been using it for sound design all this time, and by now it's the DAW I've been using for the longest time, something like 14 years and counting, or... something. But now I find it very inspirational for a much wider range of uses for me again. I came to the conclusion v10 is a delight to use, really.

And speaking of the upgrade path, it's sort of fitting (with all of the above) that I had forgotten I've bought separate licenses for pretty much everything I would want/need in the Suite version, instead of just Sampler. That was a great surprise, although I also felt somewhat stupid when finally noticing, hahh. So I went with the Standard version and have everything I'd want in my Live 10 installation now.

So, cheers, nice to see other people having these sorts of returning experiences here :D

Johnjohn82
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:25 am

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by Johnjohn82 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:31 am

Bought Live9 some months ago for 520euro. Upgrade to Live10 cost 249euro......total cost 769euro.

Live10 is selling new for 599euro.

Of course one gets irritated. The "valued" customer is apparently not the existing customer. It´s the "new" customers that buy Live for the first time.

Forge.
Posts: 5798
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:16 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by Forge. » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:19 am

Nokatus wrote:
Forge. wrote:surprising to see so many old names still here. Apart from just wanting to stick my head in and say hello to you reprobates still hanging around, also by some kind of rare aligning of the planets I have something to add to the Logic/Reaper part of the conversation, after recently finding myself helping someone at a Buddhist centre with Reaper for editing the lectures, so I was confronted with being reminded what an amazingly powerful program it is
This is seriously strange and funny, as I've been having exactly this feeling around here lately, too. Coming back to Live more strongly than in a looong time, now that version 10 hit. Already bought a license, even, eh. And like you, I've had this... sort of... "wow it's like I'm a decade in the past" type of feeling now that I've been reading the forum more. And also, a lot of Reaper experience here, also with a similar vibe to what you're describing: in turn, I've been on a Studio One --> Reaper journey, after finally clicking 100% with the latter a couple of years ago.

But oh oh oh Live 10 has definitely brought me back to Live in a good way. I've been using it for sound design all this time, and by now it's the DAW I've been using for the longest time, something like 14 years and counting, or... something. But now I find it very inspirational for a much wider range of uses for me again. I came to the conclusion v10 is a delight to use, really.

And speaking of the upgrade path, it's sort of fitting (with all of the above) that I had forgotten I've bought separate licenses for pretty much everything I would want/need in the Suite version, instead of just Sampler. That was a great surprise, although I also felt somewhat stupid when finally noticing, hahh. So I went with the Standard version and have everything I'd want in my Live 10 installation now.

So, cheers, nice to see other people having these sorts of returning experiences here :D
:D

Yeah it's prompted some similar experiences resurrecting other plugins etc that I haven't opened for a long time. I've accumulated so much over the years. Mostly just having fun just with the new Live devices, especially Wavetable, Echo, and Drum Buss, but also getting used to the new workflow + Push 2.

Forge.
Posts: 5798
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:16 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by Forge. » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:26 am

Johnjohn82 wrote:Bought Live9 some months ago for 520euro. Upgrade to Live10 cost 249euro......total cost 769euro.

Live10 is selling new for 599euro.

Of course one gets irritated. The "valued" customer is apparently not the existing customer. It´s the "new" customers that buy Live for the first time.
maybe you should contact them, depending how recent they may be able to help.

Machinesworking
Posts: 11087
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:57 am

Forge. wrote:I have something to add to the Logic/Reaper part of the conversation, after recently finding myself helping someone at a Buddhist centre with Reaper for editing the lectures, so I was confronted with being reminded what an amazingly powerful program it is, basically for free if you like, which I described to the woman editing the lectures as like swatting a fly with a Sherman tank, which I'm sure appealed to her Buddhist sensibilities. But I recommended it because she was still using Cool Edit, which I used literally two decades ago. They finally upgraded the computer, and at some point she wants to get into editing video lectures too, so Reaper was a no-brainer, and I suggested worth getting used to the workflow so that she'll be familiar by the time they get into video. I just had to stress that all those insanely huge amount of features might be really useful one day, but just ignore most of it for now. Hard to compete with such a powerful program paid for with the honour system.

Then Logic — my son is in his last year of school at a music college and weirdly has barely ever used Ableton, and mostly started with Logic (as I did about 20 years ago), so I also found myself trying to familiarise myself with Live 10 after barely any time with it, and noticing his expectations of how to use it based on Logic. It was interesting after all these years (apart from the strangeness that I hadn't already got him using it years ago) to hear myself explaining that I think a lot of the direction is aimed at closer integration with Push, and it's moving further away from the more linear DAW functionality. Which is what I've always wanted really. But interesting to hear how everyone else interprets that.
Re- Reaper: It's essentially two developers for the whole program. That's why they can sell it for $60USD to those of us that make less than 20k off of music year. I'm amazed at how detailed the list of features there are in Reaper. It's a real embarrassment to other DAWs that way, how do two people add in MPE support, VCA faders, multiple rendering methods, absolutely stellar grouping that can instantly create bussed tracks, or conversely hide a couple MIDI tracks and an aux track into a main MIDI track for external instruments. Why hasn't Ableton or MOTU or.. added in these features? Not enough developers simply can't be the issue if two freaking guys can do it. It's not a buggy mess either. crazy stuff! The worst thing that can be said about it is you have to approach it with what you want to do in mind, it's not like Live where you learn it's methods then use them for your purposes, it asks you to set up the program how you wan it to work etc. I had to set up a key command for track colors for instance, otherwise it's menu diving. I'm pretty sure Reaper will be my main DAW soon, doesn't change anything with Live, I'll still use it about 40% of the time, I'm a huge Session view fan, and always for live shows.

Back and forth on the Push evaluation, it's more like they seem to want Push to be part of your linear DAW experience. A couple things simplified could change that, as of now it's a couple hoops you have to jump through to select a track, create a clip and arm it for recording, if it's a MIDI track and you plan on playing the midi in with Push it's a matter of jumping back to the Notes page in Push before the count off is over... got to be a better way . It is more concentrated on Session View by nature which I appreciate.

ian_halsall
Posts: 1719
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 8:52 am
Location: South London
Contact:

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by ian_halsall » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:41 pm

ruido_outpost wrote:I bought Suite about two months ago and my upgrade is priced at 199 euro. That is, at the moment, 231.862 Us Dollar, or 1,948.11 Swedish.

So, to recap, I literally spent nearly 6k swedish on a software that now releases an upgrade for another 2k Swedish based on personalized pricing, and the update pretty much contains the shit that I've wanted since version 5 when I had my old license before I sold it.

Or, you know, I could buy Studio One v3 (full version) for 344 euro, or 3 356,49 Swedish, and get all the features that I've been waiting for since like freaking forever (and tons and TONS more), and slave Live 9 to that instead.
Yeah, no upgrade for me. 3 new devices (big whoop), and some minor workflow enhancements that should be there from the start, like, you know, mouse-wheel zoom.

Nope.

Oh hey, can you convert a track to mono yet?
No?
Ah, ok..

(This is not mono-conversion, this is a workaround for something that should be there from the start: https://www.ableton.com/answers/is-ther ... ck-in-live)
agreed

Post Reply