Live 10 upgrade path

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
H20nly

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:51 pm

Machinesworking wrote: uninterrupted (for the most part) audio
:lol:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:59 pm

H20nly wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: uninterrupted (for the most part) audio
:lol:
Just being honest here! :x For me it's almost 100% uninterrupted, but you know how that cookie crumbles, there's always someone that somehow manages to get cracks and pops every time they look at a fader! :x

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:03 pm

i never really have had any issues that weren't user error or lack of knowledge on my part either.

i just imagined him typing it...

suddenly, he realizes that if he uses the term "uninterrupted audio" he might as well be loading the chum bucket for the sharks. :lol:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:24 pm

H20nly wrote:i never really have had any issues that weren't user error or lack of knowledge on my part either.

i just imagined him typing it...

suddenly, he realizes that if he uses the term "uninterrupted audio" he might as well be loading the chum bucket for the sharks. :lol:
Some people for sure have issues that go beyond Abletons ability to solve! :lol:

When I say almost 100% that's what I meant. I still occasionally can get a pop or click when doing something in Live, but mostly when really pushing it. Compare this to other DAWs and Live is king of the pack that way, but to insinuate it's 100% uninterrupted would be not true. Since in the past I've been critical of Live I have to be honest in general in my assessments or I feel like I would just be a hater or fanboy. So I'm trying not to be a hanboy or fater. :oops:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:48 pm

Absolutely on board!!

there's an ever growing CPU thread where Stromkraft is currently in the process of trying to convince folks their issues are bogus because he can't get his head wrapped around them. i'm fairly certain those folks, among others, would take issue with the term "uninterrupted audio". but i know what you meant and why a disclaimer is important :wink:

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:25 pm

Hi there :D

So help me out here,I'm an old fart,ok,ha,ha :lol:

I have Live 9 Suite,can I simply upgrade to Live 10,standard (not too bothered about MXL,or other sounds etc. Will my devices integrate with the new Live 10?
Or to bite the bullet and upgrade to Live 10 Suite :o

Bear in mind music making is a hobby for me (and you nice people,too I imagine),so having to think carefully about the prices etc

In the meantime while I patiently wait fro some kind member, to help me.I shall have a look over the videos for Live 10 see whats new etc

Cheers
Dell Optilplex 9010,Windows Pro 10 10 64 bit .16GB ram, Intel i5 3570 chip,@ 3'40GHz 4 cores
1TB SSD main drive, external drive 6TB SSD for various Kontakt libraries

https://soundcloud.com/ambientdavemusic

logictoolbox

Post by logictoolbox » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:02 pm

regalpierot wrote:Add me to the list who I guess didn't pay attention, got countless EMails about buying Live 9 and then getting a free update to 10 but nothing at all registered with the discount of paying for the upgrade before the release...maybe because I've never seen that before and I own a lot of software.

Just logged in, checked the price to upgrade my Live 9 Suite to Live 10 suite and I honestly kept thinking there was an error on the site, like somehow it hadn't registered accordingly. $299 to upgrade my Live 9 Suite to Live 10 Suite. That's utterly pathetic pricing. :roll:

So you have Logic at $199 new. You have Reason with serious feature upgrades for free (VST support in 9.5) and a max of $129 for all upgrades from relatively previous versions. Really quite disappointed with Abelton, think a lot of folks will be sticking on 9.
I feel being penalised for already buying Suite 9 actually offensive. I wont be upgrading or supporting this program anymore as a matter of principle. Its a shame because I have actively supported Ableton since its birth in some pretty big arenas and ok I can afford the upgrade but I totally refuse to support this kind of thing. I bought suite because It seems good to buy into the whole package but i never expected to have to buy into it over and over again. I also no longer feel I can recommend this too my student age clients who don't want to find a sting like this around the corner

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:03 pm

david.barker wrote:
I have Live 9 Suite,can I simply upgrade to Live 10,standard (not too bothered about MXL,or other sounds etc. Will my devices integrate with the new Live 10?
You can most likely. As long as you keep the 9 library around, also the Suite devices/instruments should work in 10 standard. You just won't get 10 Suite offerings.

I didn't exactly do it that way. I sold Suite 9 and got 9 Standard which involved an update to 10.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:10 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
david.barker wrote:
You can most likley. As long as you keep the 9 library around, also the Suite devices/instruments should work in 10 standard. You just won't get 10 Suite offerings.

I didn't exactly do it that way. I sold Suite 9 and got 9 Standard which involved an update to 10.
Thanks Stromkraft,for your advice :D
Dell Optilplex 9010,Windows Pro 10 10 64 bit .16GB ram, Intel i5 3570 chip,@ 3'40GHz 4 cores

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:11 pm

logictoolbox wrote: I feel being penalised for already buying Suite 9 actually offensive. I wont be upgrading or supporting this program anymore as a matter of principle. Its a shame because I have actively supported Ableton since its birth in some pretty big arenas and ok I can afford the upgrade but I totally refuse to support this kind of thing. I bought suite because It seems good to buy into the whole package but i never expected to have to buy into it over and over again. I also no longer feel I can recommend this too my student age clients who don't want to find a sting like this around the corner
Why not get one of the DAWs that gives you lifetime major version updates instead? Which ones are those again? Bitwig? No… Logic? No… Pro Tools? No… Cubase? No… Digital Performer? No…

Help me out here…
Make some music!

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:50 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
logictoolbox wrote: I feel being penalised for already buying Suite 9 actually offensive. I wont be upgrading or supporting this program anymore as a matter of principle. Its a shame because I have actively supported Ableton since its birth in some pretty big arenas and ok I can afford the upgrade but I totally refuse to support this kind of thing. I bought suite because It seems good to buy into the whole package but i never expected to have to buy into it over and over again. I also no longer feel I can recommend this too my student age clients who don't want to find a sting like this around the corner
Why not get one of the DAWs that gives you lifetime major version updates instead? Which ones are those again? Bitwig? No… Logic? No… Pro Tools? No… Cubase? No… Digital Performer? No…

Help me out here…
FL,he,he :D

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:09 pm

FL gives you the illusion of lifetime updates but it's to the point [now] where everything is an add-on. so yeah, the base application is a one time purchase... but it's like a pay-to-play "free" video game on your phone where your mileage is limited using the vanilla app. plus, the default sounds library is pretty horrible.

Audacity on the other hand, now there's a good pricing model. :P

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:16 pm

H20nly wrote:FL gives you the illusion of lifetime updates but it's to the point [now] where everything is an add-on. so yeah, the base application is a one time purchase... but it's like a pay-to-play "free" video game on your phone where your mileage is limited using the vanilla app. plus, the default sounds library is pretty horrible.

Audacity on the other hand, now there's a good pricing model. :P

I drink to that, H20nly he,he :mrgreen:
Last edited by david.barker on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:33 pm

cheers! :wink:

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:39 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
H20nly wrote:cheers! :wink: