Live 10 upgrade path

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
Post Reply
Tuur
Posts: 600
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:56 am

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by Tuur » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:01 pm

Noxoreos wrote:Just my personal opinion, but I think it'll take at least one or two more years until Push 3 is going to be released.
I agree. Although I feel there could be a market for (an earlier?) Push 2 + AD/DA. If that ever happens.

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:17 pm

jestermgee wrote:…no extra load noticed at all from the PushProcess.
Can you please elaborate on that? What does this mean in practice and in detail?
Make some music!

phuzzee_demon
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:27 am
Location: Regina, Canada
Contact:

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by phuzzee_demon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:00 am

I've got a friend who is upgrading from Live 3 and it is the same price as me upgrading from Live 8 so I guess there isn't any better of a deal by doing every upgrade cycle.
"paranoia is just finer tuned reality"

Tarekith
Posts: 17723
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:23 pm

On the plus side, you’ve been able to use MIDI for the last 15 years in Live and your friend hasn’t :)
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
Inner Portal Studio - Professional Audio Mastering

[jur]
Site Admin
Posts: 2447
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:04 pm
Location: Ableton

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by [jur] » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:38 pm

Tarekith wrote:On the plus side, you’ve been able to use MIDI for the last 15 years in Live and your friend hasn’t :)
But Live 3 audio engine definitely has a more vintage sound :lol:
Ableton Forum Moderator

Tarekith
Posts: 17723
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:31 pm

I clearly prefer the sound of Logic 3 from those days though.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
Inner Portal Studio - Professional Audio Mastering

Angstrom
Posts: 14745
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by Angstrom » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:06 am

[jur] wrote:
Tarekith wrote:On the plus side, you’ve been able to use MIDI for the last 15 years in Live and your friend hasn’t :)
But Live 3 audio engine definitely has a more vintage sound :lol:
I rewire Live 9 through Live 3 to get that vintage sound.
I make 2003 style music so it fits better.

cherryvelour
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:43 pm

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by cherryvelour » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:47 pm

This upgrade price is pretty steep! I too have an offer price of £183 to go from Suite 9 to Suite 10. Can't recall any upgrades in the past being this high.
I also owned M4L separately way back when I was running Live 8 Standard.
Seems like the price to upgrade from SUite 9 to Suite 10 should be lower as it's only the Live 9 app that we would be upgrading. Presumably all the Suite instruments and M4L will stay the same. Sure, the new wavetable synth is an add-on but this doesn't seem worth it.

stringtapper
Posts: 6284
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by stringtapper » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:51 pm

cherryvelour wrote:Can't recall any upgrades in the past being this high.
I can. From my past invoices it looks like both the Live 7 Suite and Live 8 Suite upgrades were about $10 more than what I'm paying for the upgrade from Live 9 Suite to Live 10 Suite.
Unsound Designer

jestermgee
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:38 am
Contact:

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by jestermgee » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:32 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
jestermgee wrote:…no extra load noticed at all from the PushProcess.
Can you please elaborate on that? What does this mean in practice and in detail?
I notice no extra load on my system with the latest info displayed on Push than previously.

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:05 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
jestermgee wrote:…no extra load noticed at all from the PushProcess.
Can you please elaborate on that? What does this mean in practice and in detail?
I notice no extra load on my system with the latest info displayed on Push than previously.
You think this is just because Live 10 is more efficient overall so this isn't noticed in your session or did you also measure the Display process and got some numbers you can share? If Live 10 really means CPU usage drops considerably, that's enormously wonderful news for many current and future Push 2owners.
Make some music!

Sional
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by Sional » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:23 am

I also think the upgrade price from Suite 9 to 10 is a bit steep.
I paid 124 pounds for the 8 Suite to 9 upgrade, which included a lot more content (e.g. Max for Live).

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:03 am

Trump2016 wrote: Compare with Apple's release a few days ago of GarageBand for iOS where they reinvented the UI of a touch interface sampler in an amazing way, along with files, AB, and AU support.
That's not a fair comparison. If Apple want they can buy Steinberg, Cakewalk, Prosonus, Avid, Motu, Presonus, Image-Line, Propellerhead, Cockos and Ableton tomorrow and dismantle and lay off the competition. My point is then that Apple has virtually unlimited resources (for what they want to offer naturally). For comparisons look at those companies and maybe a few others.

I feel the upgrade fees are both not steep and fair. I do hope Standard users get a good deal too.
Make some music!

Trump2016
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:16 am

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by Trump2016 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:21 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Trump2016 wrote: Compare with Apple's release a few days ago of GarageBand for iOS where they reinvented the UI of a touch interface sampler in an amazing way, along with files, AB, and AU support.
That's not a fair comparison. If Apple want they can buy Steinberg, Cakewalk, Prosonus, Avid, Motu, Presonus, Image-Line, Propellerhead, Cockos and Ableton tomorrow and dismantle and lay off the competition. My point is then that Apple has virtually unlimited resources (for what they want to offer naturally). For comparisons look at those companies and maybe a few others.

I feel the upgrade fees are both not steep and fair. I do hope Standard users get a good deal too.
It's not about the cost, it's about the bugs and things promised. This update under no circumstance constitutes a major version. Sure, there are a few things worth paying for if left to a new version, but fixing a wonky bug filled arrangement view UI is not any of them.

The wavetable synth could have been sold separately, and a promise for version 10 to include it. They just chose in an awkward phase of product development under pressure to raise revenue to shrug and say, "Meh, good enough, let's collect $239 from everyone." No chance for me. Sold my Push, converting to a different workflow. I'm sure it's worth it for many, but it's bordering on unethical in my opinion.

CH7
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:54 pm

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by CH7 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:55 am

Danny_DJ wrote:...and keep in mind that with live 9's introduction, Ableton introduced a lot of workflow and feature enhancements with minor updates. So this is just the beginning of 10.
I think the upgrade from Live 9 suite to 10 will be worth it at £183 - UK. Remember this isn't just for what we've heard will be released soon, but for the years of support and free updates to come. Besides who knows what else might be announced when Live is actually launched.

Anyone recall the pre-Bitwig hype?

Post Reply