Sure, beta testing seems all glamorous now ...

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
sporkles

Sure, beta testing seems all glamorous now ...

Post by sporkles » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:15 pm

I wonder how many of those super eager would-be beta testers who are nearly dying because they aren't "in" yet actually plan on reporting, testing methodically and help make 10 solid...

To me, a lot of these guys seem like the equivalent of the people behind the "First!" comment on a YouTube video.

It's just about getting hands-on before everyone else, passing their oh-so sought-after verdict and being awesome!

I’m glad that active, dedicated L9 beta testers (presumably) got the heads-up first (I haven't been among them for quite a while, because I've had so few problems with Live 9 for so long, so I'm on the waiting list like Tom, Dick and Harry).

Tarekith

Re: Sure, beta testing seems all glamorous now ...

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:30 pm

This is always the case with any public beta testing. Far fewer people actually take the time to report an issue, most just want to be the first to play with it. Luckily we had the Crashologists on the case for months now, so there's already a huge amount of testing done up til now.

Would be great if people signing up for the beta remembered the point of a beta though. And PLEASE, don't just post your bugs or ideas in the Centercode forums (though those are perfect for discussing new ideas and possible bugs). If you don't submit an actual Bug Report or Suggestion on Centercode, it won't get tracked!

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:04 pm

I’m still trying to figure out the beta site so I can post a bug report. It’s a little confusing and keeps logging me out all the time.

The only big bug I’ve hit so far is my APC40 Mk 1 not picking up the blue hand mappings on any M4L devices.
Unsound Designer

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:28 pm

sporkles wrote: I’m glad that active, dedicated L9 beta testers (presumably) got the heads-up first
I contributed quite a bit to previous Beta testing processes and found out and joined like everyone else.
That's fine because TBH it's a brutal process to be involved in. If there's something you don't like then there's nothing to be done.

It's only glamorous like ... "Hey kids here's your new Mom!".
New Mom is nice and she has a cool car, but she insists on cooking you her weird stew whether you like it or not. You will not be changing anything about New Mom.

As long as the testers submit a crash report that's really all that can be done.
Will Ableton change what you don't like - if you put time into persuading them? Probably not.
Imagine how much time I took explaining the browser issue in L9. Months of pointless words.

New Mom picked these curtains and she likes it that way. Just submit the crashes and take it on the chin. That's all that can be done.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:29 pm

Sure, but New Mom is extremely attractive, and even though she calls the shots, she finds you attractive too; she likes your innocent, boyish charm, and if you do your chores, you have a feeling that maybe, just maybe ... You both know you really shouldn't, but the tension is so ...

Yeah, sorry; that always happens when I make an attempt at analogies. But let's take a pretty concrete example: the updated metronome. I suggested a simple way of halving or doubling its speed without changing the BPM. I don't think it made huge waves at Centercode, but it must have caught the Abes' attention, because there it is.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:27 am

sporkles wrote:I wonder how many of those super eager would-be beta testers who are nearly dying because they aren't "in" yet actually plan on reporting, testing methodically and help make 10 solid...
I am doing what I can, specifically for things that others seem not involved with. Using Live 10 rewired and going over bugs for areas it seems the typical early beta testers aren't interested in. Super obvious bug of Live crashing whatever DAW is running as master in rewire mode if you instantiate a copy of the new Wavetable plug in for instance. Maybe I push DAWs harder I dunno? but I always find bugs when other people are talking about how stable X software is...

I'm really liking this version BTW, people are complaining and in some cases rightfully about MPE poly aftertouch etc. but things like the new options for click tracks, tablet mode for touch screens, enhanced rewire for controllers like Push etc. etc.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:07 pm

sporkles wrote:Sure, but New Mom is extremely attractive, and even though she calls the shots, she finds you attractive too; she likes your innocent, boyish charm, and if you do your chores, you have a feeling that maybe, just maybe ... You both know you really shouldn't, but the tension is so ...
please continue...

vido

Post by vido » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:09 pm

garyboozy wrote:
sporkles wrote:Sure, but New Mom is extremely attractive, and even though she calls the shots, she finds you attractive too; she likes your innocent, boyish charm, and if you do your chores, you have a feeling that maybe, just maybe ... You both know you really shouldn't, but the tension is so ...
please continue...
Hehe. I like the Mom-analogy (no not Mom-anal-logic)

New Mom is really fine. She came along because you and the other children like me, especially me, told her all kinds of things about herself so that she could learn about herself, develop and finally renew herself. She has acquired new mental strategies and learned a few extra skills. Like... Her multitasking was always pretty good, but when it came to MIDI she wasn't able to edit more than one track at a time. And her short-term-memory was non-existent; she really had to focus on what she was doing to be able to remember anything. Now she can remember MIDI pretty damn good, like very basic Logic. I wonder if she trains herself if she couldn't also learn to remember what was heard through her ears..!?

Anyway. Feature-requests etc do work. The two mentioned above was some of my favorite feature-requests. Earlier it's been dual monitors. Yes I've always sent bug-reports, and no I'm not a part of the beta-team now.

Why not just let us who want to test Beta pay for the full version up front?

I know I'll have it because of the two features mentioned above. I don't care about being the first. I care about being more effective when I work, and I care enough about ableton to send the bug-reports. The only reason for NOT getting it now is that my collaborators probably won't have it.
Collab with Jeremy Blake of Red Means Recording:

Blake and Axe; "All The Light I Do Not See"
Spotify: https://goo.gl/MR8Wjr
Tidal: https://goo.gl/s35W33
Google Play: https://goo.gl/HQ1g7E
Amazon: https://goo.gl/cx5dUL

Not the usual stuff.

andreas_g

Post by andreas_g » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:37 am

as a long time ableton user i don‘t have access to the beta 10, the support says, that the beta is closed now because they have 4000 testers.. that’s not customer friendly and i‘m waiting for this update for a long long time... i have cancelled my pre order now :roll:

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:26 am

Did you contact support specifically about this and for the number 4000 from there? I think they could at least keep us all up to date and update the message at Centercode, which still just says

You're on a waiting list for the upcoming free slots of Beta testing. We will open the doors in regular intervals and let the next batch of people enter, to ensure a steady influx of new testers and fresh pairs of ears and eyes. You will receive a mail once you've been entered.

Be sure to check back soon! In the meantime please bookmark this site as it will be your primary communication portal during the Beta period.

Thank you for joining and for your patience,

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:42 pm

Not a sure what there is to update, the message shown on centrcode is exactly the current state of the beta. If we let everyone in right away it’s too much to manage trying to accurately get through all the bug reports and suggestions. There’s a LOT of people wanting the beta right now, more get access to it in the order they signed up. Please have patience.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:58 am

Well, the difference between "we're maxed out now at 4000" and "we'll let in new testers at regular intervals" is pretty salient.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not heartbroken or buttsore over this – Live 9 is actually quite the pastime. :roll: I'm simply stating that if the "regular intervals" message is not accurate, Ableton should send out a clarifying email to those who've signed up.

andreas_g

Post by andreas_g » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:25 am

my last info is, that they don't need more betatesters at the moment, because they have so much bug reports.. i'm not satisfied with this company policy, this is not customer friendly (i am an ableton user for more than 10 years i think..)

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:01 am

...so because you can't get into beta it's not customer friendly???...no offense here but i think it's not unusual to have a limit...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

andreas_g

Post by andreas_g » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:54 pm

yes. thats it.. i am a long-standing ableton customer and i have no beta access..
on the other hand i know some people that are new ableton users or they have ableton lite but they have beta access.. okay?