Sure, beta testing seems all glamorous now ...

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
scheffkoch

Re: Sure, beta testing seems all glamorous now ...

Post by scheffkoch » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:11 pm

..ok...but you can't define who is a good beta tester and who just wants to have the latest version...i also don't have access to this beta (although i signed for the 9.x beta) and now i just wait for the release and hope that major bugs are being reported...see it like this: when 10 comes we feel like we got a new daw whereas the beta testers don't have that excitement anymore...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

andreas_g

Post by andreas_g » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:23 pm

scheffkoch: it's so easy: you don't want a beta version, i want it .. two different opinions..

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:34 pm

...sometimes live is just not fair...literally speaking...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:53 pm

Please, don't forget that the point of beta-testing is to catch bugs and fix them in order to deliver a rock solid Live.
Having control over the testing system is primordial, and, as said before, a few thousands beta testers have been mistakenly accepted all at once and this is creating a lot of mess, with loads a duplicate reports, unusable reports and so on...
Your frustration is understood, but the focus is on efficiency... or else we'll end up with a scenario seen before: a quirky release creating upset users.
Ableton Forum Moderator

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:30 am

[jur] wrote:Please, don't forget that the point of beta-testing is to catch bugs and fix them in order to deliver a rock solid Live.
Having control over the testing system is primordial, and, as said before, a few thousands beta testers have been mistakenly accepted all at once and this is creating a lot of mess, with loads a duplicate reports, unusable reports and so on...
Your frustration is understood, but the focus is on efficiency... or else we'll end up with a scenario seen before: a quirky release creating upset users.
Yeah we already have users complaining about "features not working" in Beta software on the forums here, completely ignorant as to what the purpose of Beta is for.

Some people are much better at detailing a fault than others and some have no concept at all and think it's a "pre-release" to play with. Having too much noise spread over the different forums would make it way harder to actually do proper controlled testing. For a start, half the posts I see with people complaining that something isn't working in live (or most other software) don't mention ANYTHING about versions, hardware, system etc. How is anyone suppose to assist?

I personally think some kind of testing should be done for Beta entrance or at least the "Task" system should be expanded to make it a requirement to actually test a few things and keep pace. If people don't they are dropped or can opt out and that opens a place for a new willing user. Users that contribute a good chunk of quality testing receive a free Live 10 upgrade or a decent discount? That would make it worth the time to do the tests.

I'd love to be more active and possibly I will but i'm also Beta testing Komplete Kontrol which I am currently much more active in but study has finished and the holidays are coming so who knows.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:41 am

On the flip side, it's nice to see how people who aren't super skilled approach things too though. Sometimes they come up with workflows that you or I might not, and it's another way to test the software for stability. Plus a lot of the more rigorous and focused testing happens before we get to this stage, so seeing how different people manage to break it in more or less day to day use helps. Especially since people have VERY different ways of using Live.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:40 am

Yes that is very true but it certainly would not hurt to remind \ train \ educate users that a Beta release is NOT a finished product and WILL probably have some things that do not function. As someone who agrees to be part of this the first thing they should do when they encounter a problem is gather some info and report \ discuss within the Beta community, not complain in public that things aren't working properly and it's affecting their ability to create \ make a living. Either they do not understand a Beta, have not read the documentation or all of the above.

Having spent years on both sides of the fence with Betas as a developer, tester and lead technical support officer it does make you wonder why people will happily use software that is in development (alpha/beta) and then complain in posts with:

- No specs posted
- No clear details of how to create the issue
- No link to the beta forum thread for internal discussions
- No images / videos of the issue
- ANY kind of rant (period)

By all means, open a dialogue and detail what does and doesn't work and even how it is working in a similar product, but in a controlled and detailed way without ranting otherwise it's just noise. Any discussion about issues with the Beta on the public forums really should be gently reminded (by the admins, not users like me) to post/discuss in the beta section of centre code where it should be. The ones that matter will hear the call.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:09 am

He did actually post in the Centercode forum too, so I didn't remind him like I normally do when people only report bugs here :)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:15 pm

jestermgee wrote: - ANY kind of rant (period)
What!!
I'm pretty sure that "having a poorly advised and ill-considered rant" is one of the basic freedoms bestowed upon us by the internet gods.
You'll drag my rant out of my cold dead hands.
/s