MacBook Pro 13” with i5 3.3 or i7 3.5?

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
scheffkoch

Re: MacBook Pro 13” with i5 3.3 or i7 3.5?

Post by scheffkoch » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:40 pm

"Bought my 15" MBP a few months back, not had any issues with heat and running Live (or any other app). In fact it runs a lot cooler overall than my 2014 rMBP did."

...this!...and even if the fans are spinning you don't hear them anymore...only when you put your ear to the chassis...
macbook pro late 2016, osx 10.13.6, rme multiface via sonnet thunderbolt expresscard adapter + thunderbolt to usb-c adapter, ableton live 10.0.1, push 2, komplete 9, maschine 2.7.6, touchable

GreatWhiteEagle

Post by GreatWhiteEagle » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:10 am

yur2die4 wrote:Yeah. As long as you identify and accept that there will be limitations in performance, you'll probably end up having a decent experience. The hard part is that a lot of people don't realize there is a difference in CPUs in the first place. Once you overcome that, and accept and understand what it entails, you should do just fine.

I shouldn't downplay the processor. I7's are still quite powerful no matter which model. It's just the least powerful of the i7's in each gen by a healthy leap.

So, Would the 2.8 quad i7 be significantly better than the dual core i7 at 3.5? Or would I need to jump up to the 3.1 quad i7 to have significant performance improvement?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:25 am

Doing benchmark comparisons of models won't give you a fully accurate idea of performance in a DAW for specific usage but it can kind of give you an approximate idea of CPU power comparison.

I usually look at those, and look in forums and at reviews in groups that are Ableton Live-related.

But specifically, look at your options. The specific CPU model. See which ones are outside of your needs and narrow it down.

Edit: I guess to answer your question more directly, but more theoretically, Live theoretically handles audio channels in such a way where it divies up the duties amongst cores of the CPU. If you have two high CPU instruments and some fx, the dual core would likely out-perform the quad. If you have four, then it gets more murky because each channel might not come close to overtaking any given core and the dual might still handle it just fine, even great. In the meantime the quad should also do fine, unless it's an insanely hefty four channels. . But if you have say 20 channels, then probably only 4 to 8 are heavy duty channels and the remainder are not so demanding but still use resources. You're getting closer and closer to the edge with the dual core.

Additionally, the dual core CPUs are also more intended to save power and be efficient. On top of cores, cache etc are qualities that can affect overall performance.

But a lot of this is slightly speculation. It's best to seek out the specific CPU models of each candidate of laptop and do comparisons. If it's not that much of a reduction in performance for the price and convenience, then totally go for the 13". It should mostly run okay. But if it seems underwhelming in contrast to the other choice then I'd do more research and get more informed.

Try to find people who have the 13" notebooks and tried to run Live on them. See what kinds of experiences they've had.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:47 am

...i would definitely choose a quadcore over a dualcore for music production!...the difference between the 2.8 and the 3.1 is marginal...
macbook pro late 2016, osx 10.13.6, rme multiface via sonnet thunderbolt expresscard adapter + thunderbolt to usb-c adapter, ableton live 10.0.1, push 2, komplete 9, maschine 2.7.6, touchable

Emanresu0891

Post by Emanresu0891 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:11 pm

Tarekith wrote:Huh, what does that have to do with my post?
It may be confusing to explain now but, before your post another poster seemed to have a question about the gpu's overheating in the 15 inch MacBook Pro. I thought you were responding to this poster.

You posted that you just bought a 2015 inch MacBook pro and it seems to be working fine and doesn't have heat or gpu issues
The Gpu issue seems to show up in a few years after the MacBook pro was built so we would expect your MacBook pro to be working fine.

Will your graphics card still be working in another year, we don't know.... I hope it will last as long as you would like but, there seems to be a pattern with discrete graphic failure within the MacBook Pro 15.