Youtube dispute - because someone else used the same samples

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
gadg3ts

Youtube dispute - because someone else used the same samples

Post by gadg3ts » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:35 pm

This is more a question of what usually happens in these cases.
So.
I made a soundtrack for a video I'd filmed, using one of the construction kits "Late Night Logic" from the "Loopmasters Mixtape" pack available from the Ableton.com website.
Today when I logged into my youtube account to find the link for the video to send to someone, I find that it has a dispute about the soundtrack, claiming that 10 seconds of it is someone else's (as it turns out, "urban") commercial track.
Which of course it isn't, it just happens to use the same electric piano and funky guitar loops.
What should I expect to happen having disputed this, saying where they came from and so "no I've not stolen a sample of your music"?..
The loops in question are
LNL_Rhodes11_110_Am
LNL_Funky-guitar1_110_Am

Somewhat Ironically, I used that construction kit so as not to use the actual commercial track I was using as temp music when editing the video.

Thanks,
Sean

Richie Witch

Re: Youtube dispute - because someone else used the same samples

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:26 pm

My experience of this is limited, but I can share what I had to do for SoundCloud.

If you file a dispute, the track should ultimately be reviewed by an actual human. In the dispute form, you will need to cite where your sample came from and an excerpt from the user agreement that gives you permission to use the sample in your own work. Then cross your fingers that the reviewer agrees with you. In my case, it took about four days. I got an email and my track magically reappeared.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:53 pm

Yep, definitely get a copy of the user agreement where it states you have permission to use the samples. They'll likely want that as proof, so might as well grab it now.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:08 pm

This is a good example of why it is important to make sure everything you use (samples and software) is all legit because at some point you may be asked to prove it.

Youtube has to take these things very seriously so if anyone makes a claim (or their automated algorithm finds a conflicting match) it has to be followed through. If you can simply prove the sound source is from a sample pack (that has its own license and they did not themselves rip it off from the artist) and can cite the original source of the samples you used that should be all that is needed. It happens from time to time which is why I personally never rely on sample loops of anything except occasional drums/fills. I "take inspiration" from loop packs but often will Audio-to-MIDI or just recreate the sound myself so as to avoid any issues.