Display Monitors, to curve or not to curve?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.

Displays, To Curve of not to Curve

I would get a curved screen
50%
I would get a flat screen
50%

Total votes: 8

Pipsicle

Display Monitors, to curve or not to curve?

Post by Pipsicle » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:20 pm

Okay I am fed up with scrolling around in Ableton when the track count builds up, so have decided to invest in a larger monitor.

Having done a fair amount or research I have narrowed my choice down to Ultrawide 34” with a resolution of 3440x1440

If I was just gaming and working solo, I would probably just go for one of the many curved verity’s on the market. However as it is primarily for use with Ableton, and where I will have on occasions more than one person looking at the screen at one time, I was wondering if a flat panel may be better. I say this as I saw a review by a guy dong video editing where he commented that he didn’t like to use curved monitors when editing, to quote "the lines weren’t straight". I am also mindful the curved TVs were a fad, and have gone out of fashion as people preferred flat, will monitors go the same way?

I would be interested in people’s comments about this.

Cheers

jestermgee

Re: Display Monitors, to curve or not to curve?

Post by jestermgee » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:32 pm

Not voting because I don't like to vote for what others personally should do.

Video editing is a completely different kettle of fish. For a start, if you are doing proper editing with colour grading etc then the type of monitor and display is extremely important and any slight distortions caused by a curved surface would be hard to deal with when editing full framed video.

The only thing to consider would be how it may affect your waveforms when you want to edit them (which I would think is probably not much).

Pipsicle

Post by Pipsicle » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:51 pm

jestermgee wrote:Not voting because I don't like to vote for what others personally should do.

Video editing is a completely different kettle of fish. For a start, if you are doing proper editing with colour grading etc then the type of monitor and display is extremely important and any slight distortions caused by a curved surface would be hard to deal with when editing full framed video.

The only thing to consider would be how it may affect your waveforms when you want to edit them (which I would think is probably not much).
:lol: yes I get your point.

Its odd though, as I currently use 2 monitors, one for arrangement view, the other for session view. I noticed that I actually have them at a slight angle to make a shallow "V" so maybe curved would be the natural choice. I really don't know, hence the posing to ask what other people have found

I guess it depends on how far back one is viewing.

ekwipt

Post by ekwipt » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:08 am

I also do the same thing with my smaller monitors (slight tilt in to the middle)

If I’d buy an expensive monitor it would probably be a

LG 34UC99-W 34inch Curved UltraWide QHD IPS LED

Or

Samsung C34F791WQE 34inch Ultra WQHD Curved Quantum Dot

Pipsicle

Post by Pipsicle » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:38 pm

ekwipt wrote:I also do the same thing with my smaller monitors (slight tilt in to the middle)

If I’d buy an expensive monitor it would probably be a

LG 34UC99-W 34inch Curved UltraWide QHD IPS LED

Or

Samsung C34F791WQE 34inch Ultra WQHD Curved Quantum Dot

Thanks ekwipt, that is really useful input. I have actually sat down in front of the Samsung C34F791WQE and it is very nice. I am being quite cautious as you say they are expensive, because of this I want to make sure I get the right one. As the saying goes “measure twice, cut once”
As a rule I tend to sit about 800mm (31 ½ inches) from my screens, so I am leaning more towards curved. If it was further away , say behind a mixing desk then probably flat .

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:52 pm

Pipsicle wrote: Its odd though, as I currently use 2 monitors, one for arrangement view, the other for session view. I noticed that I actually have them at a slight angle to make a shallow "V" so maybe curved would be the natural choice. I really don't know, hence the posing to ask what other people have found

I guess it depends on how far back one is viewing.
Yeah I use triple monitors so I can have plugins/other on one monitor, mixer and arrangement. Personally I like the management of multiple monitors over one large monitor.

I really don't think a curved monitor would make any difference to your workflow but it would make it harder to integrate multi-monitors easily.

Pipsicle

Post by Pipsicle » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:54 pm

Just in case anyone was following, or picking up on this thread, my conclusion was as follows.

Curved monitors are fine; probably better if you are flying solo.
If you aim to put the monitor or monitors behind a long desk, and where multiple people are viewing, then flat may be better.

Make sure you get a 3440 x 1440 not a 2560 x 1080 the latter does not really have enough resolution for a 34 inch screen

I tested the Samsung C34F791WQE and LG 34UC88-B both were fine. I found the LG was better when viewing from an angle as it is an IPS, whereas the Samsung started to washout a bit, although it did have a better contrast ratio.

Flat monitors like the LG 34UM88 are around £100 cheaper The only difference between the LG 34UC88 and LG 34UC98 is the 98 has thunderbolt connections and is £80 more as a consequence.

I ended up going LG 34UC88 which gives me more real-estate than my previous 2 monitor setup. It has improved my productivity, as I don’t need to scroll as much, or not at all when full screen.

Finally check your graphics card can support your new monitor. Recommend using the Display Port connector or Thunderbolt port rather than HDMI. My card will only drive the monitor at full resolution when using the Display port.

Thanks to those who took time to contribute.

MR79

Post by MR79 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:53 pm

Pipsicle wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:54 pm
Make sure you get a 3440 x 1440 not a 2560 x 1080 the latter does not really have enough resolution for a 34 inch screen
2560x1080 is enough with a 29" ultrawide?
I'm interested by the LG 29WL500-B
Thank you!