Updated Reference Manual for v.10 ???

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Mister Natural

Updated Reference Manual for v.10 ???

Post by Mister Natural » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:44 pm

Part of my LIVE9 Suite purchase was a nifty paper manual

Izzeir a plan to re-publish the manual for v.10 - I'm thinking it should by all rights be included in my purchase of the upgrade to 10.0

lemmee know :?:
an expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google
#smile

jestermgee

Re: Updated Reference Manual for v.10 ???

Post by jestermgee » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:43 pm

There is no paper manual anymore. You can get the PDF manual here:

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/welcome-to-live/

If you are not a fan of trees you can butcher one or two and run them through your printer.

Bionecteur

Post by Bionecteur » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:55 pm

recycled paper 8O

jestermgee wrote:There is no paper manual anymore. You can get the PDF manual here:

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/welcome-to-live/

If you are not a fan of trees you can butcher one or two and run them through your printer.
ritsch, ratsch, klick

login

Post by login » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:05 pm

The problem is that printed manuals get outdated as soon as the software is released these days.

InLight-Tone

Post by InLight-Tone » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:45 pm

Printed books make no sense anymore, nor libraries...

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:54 am

InLight-Tone wrote:Printed books make no sense anymore, nor libraries...
i hope not. it will be a sad day when print books and libraries no longer exist...

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:56 pm

login wrote:The problem is that printed manuals get outdated as soon as the software is released these days.
Maybe Foldable Displays will catch on.
Make some music!

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:16 pm

fishmonkey wrote:
i hope not. it will be a sad day when print books and libraries no longer exist...
Horse has bolted. I'm not sure my 16 year old son even knows how to read. It's all multi-modal these days. People like Marshall McLuhan started prophesying it in the 60s. Then Woody Allen post-moderned him in the 70s, now it's coming true. More than a human lifetime of video uploaded every day, kids now have no time for trivialities like phonetic alphabets. They learn in 3D immediately, and ask their phones questions without hesitation.

In fairness, I have a book shelf half made up of my baby boomer mother's library, which is almost all DVDs. That's a perfectly valid library IMO.

I agree that it's sad. I, quite obviously, like the written word as well. But it just is. Doesn't have to stop you writing. Someone, somewhere might be interested at some point. But if that's the driver, lyrics will probably be more effective.

Just to further press, even risk labouring the point, I have the Beatles White Album "unplugged" acoustic demos etc playing on YouTube, and I'm much more interested in John Lennon, wankered, talking gibberish about Mary Jane at the party, than much else. He sang the gibberish in an entertaining and animated way, and I have invested so much musico-emotional energy into that band in my life I actually perversely give a fuck about it, and have probably spent more time than I should admit listening to that gibberish than I have spent reading great literature.

And I'm one of the kunce that likes words.

steko

Post by steko » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:46 pm

fishmonkey wrote:
+1000

Neil Gaiman: Why our future depends on libraries, reading and daydreaming | Books | The Guardian

Libraries — Thibaud Poirier

Libraries | Reinhard Görner
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:32 pm

I have a pretty huge library of mostly books on music theory and history. Most of them aren't available digitally and there's likely very little potential demand for ebook versions of this kind of stuff. While it would be cool to reclaim all of the space and have my whole library on an iPad, it's not likely to happen any time soon.

In related news, I hear HBO is coming out with an adaptation of Fahrenheit 451. :lol:
Unsound Designer

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:39 am

Books falling out of fashion is one thing, but conversely, have you noticed how clothing label tickets are now like multipage affairs, with their washing instructions and whatever? I got given a Sportful jacket that had like a f---ing phone book inside. It had a f---ing table of contents! F---ing War & Peace it was.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:38 pm

:lol:
Ha glad to see you still about Lowshelf.

They should just put the iTunes terms of service on t-shirts, that way people might gradually read them. I foresee outrage in 2077 when the Millennials’ grand kids start developing a curiosity about the primitive two-dimensional scripts their ancient ancestors used to use and somebody notices the terrible content of the strange contracts we willingly agreed to for some reason. Anthropologists will be puzzled about our motivations for willingly submitting to such an horrific fate.

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:07 pm

Ha, yeah, maybe that's why medieval texts are so arcane or obtuse: legalese is all that persists. Perhaps when this forum database crashes for the last time, only the forum community guidelines will be accessible.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:42 am

:lol: haha yeah I had the same thought. Often find the idea funny in a kind of brutal Rick and Morty way, which actually probably links back to Douglas Adams’ view of the universe, which I only recently realised reading so young probably played a bigger part than I realised in forming my cynical kind of nihilistic sense of humour and world view — that we all like to lean towards the explanation that is most interesting and romantic, but really the greatest artefacts of civilisation found 1000s of years later are probably just convoluted, legally protective washing instructions.

For some reason that makes me think of Raising Arizona when the bounty hunter from the depths of hell is on the trail and arrives at the house and after a big dramatic entrance with flames coming from his motorbike, he slowly looks up at the wall and sees the word “fart” written by a kid in crayon from earlier.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:59 am

stringtapper wrote:I have a pretty huge library of mostly books on music theory and history. Most of them aren't available digitally and there's likely very little potential demand for ebook versions of this kind of stuff. While it would be cool to reclaim all of the space and have my whole library on an iPad, it's not likely to happen any time soon.

In related news, I hear HBO is coming out with an adaptation of Fahrenheit 451. :lol:
I read somewhere that Bradbury made a comment that F451 was more about TV dumbing people down to the point where the problem isn't people wanting to ban or burn books, it's that they won't have any interest in reading them in the first place. Same point has been made about Brave New World, and that Huxleys dystopia didn’t need the boots and truncheons of Orwell’s, because everyone was too distracted and satiated with soma and uncomplicated easy promiscuous sex that they don’t need to be controlled with violence.

We seem to be heading there, but our Judge Dredd judicial processl consists of rapid trial and tar and feathering by social media, combined with a kind of meme-based psychometry, where guilt is determined by how sinister the person looks in the pic their damning meme is made from.