A good time to be a guitarist?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Buleriachk

A good time to be a guitarist?

Post by Buleriachk » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:36 pm

With all the fantastic effects modeling available now into FRFR amps (Helix, et. al.) it seemed to be a good time to be a guitarist, especially since it is so easy to shred on an electric guitar (compared to a classical and Flamenco).

Even so, I used to think of myself as the Johnny Appleseed of the Flamenco Guitar, but now I think of myself as John Henry...

And although I've heard more than I ever want to hear of electric guitar shredding, I now can do that even better on the Push 2 using Real Guitar and Native.

Electric Guitarists: Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated...

:mrgreen: :)

Styles Bitchly

Re: A good time to be a guitarist?

Post by Styles Bitchly » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:28 pm

Buleriachk wrote:With all the fantastic effects modeling available now into FRFR amps (Helix, et. al.) it seemed to be a good time to be a guitarist, especially since it is so easy to shred on an electric guitar (compared to a classical and Flamenco).

Even so, I used to think of myself as the Johnny Appleseed of the Flamenco Guitar, but now I think of myself as John Henry...

And although I've heard more than I ever want to hear of electric guitar shredding, I now can do that even better on the Push 2 using Real Guitar and Native.

Shredding and epic solos have been relegated to self indulgent bedroom noodling and wanking. Nobody is listening to or buying guitar music anymore except for aging boomers picking up the occasional bargain bin cd at Wal-Mart.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:55 pm

Styles Bitchly wrote:
Buleriachk wrote:With all the fantastic effects modeling available now into FRFR amps (Helix, et. al.) it seemed to be a good time to be a guitarist, especially since it is so easy to shred on an electric guitar (compared to a classical and Flamenco).

Shredding and epic solos have been relegated to self indulgent bedroom noodling and wanking. Nobody is listening to or buying guitar music anymore except for aging boomers picking up the occasional bargain bin cd at Wal-Mart.
Oops, I was repeating myself... :)

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:01 pm

Buleriachk wrote:
Styles Bitchly wrote:

Oops, I was repeating myself... :)
Are you remotely related to Bill Belichick? :D

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:24 pm

Mmmmm, I'm 53, and still playing guitar and bassguitar! Most of my FX stompboxes are analog though, and for guitar I use an all tube Fender amp. Maybe it is slowly dying in your world, but in my world it is still growing!

Depends what kind of music you make and like......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:53 pm

Styles Bitchly wrote:Nobody is listening to or buying guitar music anymore except for aging boomers picking up the occasional bargain bin cd at Wal-Mart.
Tell that to the twentysomethings going to sold out metal arena concerts.
Make some music!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:08 pm

Styles Bitchly wrote:.
when in that order... those are 3 of my favorite words :lol:

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:36 pm

Well, after some thinking, I guess it is narrowminded thinking in the end. Guitars ain't dying at all!

The form is changing somehow, the format is still the same.

I host a local radio show, and every week I have a live band in my show. And every week I see guitars, no exception for two years now!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:57 pm

Styles posts are not for debate. they are for entertainment gold.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:31 am

Well, it was not about Styles in particular, more about the debate about guitar playing stuff, not so respectfull to people who love to play and listen to guitarmusic.....

I like it, when people are respectfull, there is enough hate/disrespect/war/etc. in this world.

Let's keep it friendly please.....
Greetings from Miyaru.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:34 am

Or, I misunderstood the whole thing, English is not my native language after all, then I apologize to all!!!
Greetings from Miyaru.

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:40 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Styles Bitchly wrote:Nobody is listening to or buying guitar music anymore except for aging boomers picking up the occasional bargain bin cd at Wal-Mart.
Oh...yeah...I neglected to consider those 600 bpm metal bands with the cookie monster vocals. Dimmu Borgir and such come to mind. Those don't count though. You can't tap your toe to that stuff anyway. :lol:

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:27 pm

Styles Bitchly wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
Oh...yeah...I neglected to consider those 600 bpm metal bands with the cookie monster vocals. Dimmu Borgir and such come to mind. Those don't count though. You can't tap your toe to that stuff anyway. :lol:
AFAIK the bands you refer to don't fill arenas so you're dodging. I'm not into metal really but I pay attention to who plays at these venues.
Make some music!

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:52 pm

Just rubbin y'alls rhubarbs, amigos. I'm actually a session/touring guitarist out of L.A. Yes, the spark of fine guitar work still exists out there....nothing like the guitar god days of the 70's and 80's, but it's there and always will be. You just have to look a bit harder. 8)