Anyone upgrade from 9 Suite to 10 Standard?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
kitekrazy

Anyone upgrade from 9 Suite to 10 Standard?

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:09 am

I didn't see anything updated but only added. Most 3rd party stuff is better than the synths, sampler, and sampler library. There is a $70 difference between the two. I will be holding out for a vendor deal.

So who went with Standard after having the Suite?

Will 9 Suite items work in 10 Standard?

If you have 10 Standard do you still keep the 9 Suite installed?

Stromkraft

Re: Anyone upgrade from 9 Suite to 10 Standard?

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:46 am

kitekrazy wrote: So who went with Standard after having the Suite?

Will 9 Suite items work in 10 Standard?

If you have 10 Standard do you still keep the 9 Suite installed?
I did. I sold my Suite and bought Standard plus Max For Live at the 20% discount.

No. They will work in 9. Possibly easier to "open" Suite tracks in 10 with 9 installed, like with Sampler and what not, but you won't be able to save.

I have Live 9 standard installed and as far as I know you can keep Suite 9 and Standard 10 side by side without issues, except the library will contain things you cannot use in Standard. No big deal I think. The third party packs using Sampler will be opened as Simpler I believe or may not open at all like I think native packs with Sampler won't. Not sure though as I don't have Suite installed.
Make some music!

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:35 am

So far you are the only one I know that went this route.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:09 am

Stromkraft wrote: The third party packs using Sampler will be opened as Simpler I believe .
Yup, you just won't be able to open Sampler to change any mappings, settings etc... but usually all the main stuff that you need will be mapped to a macro or available in Simpler.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:45 am

kitekrazy wrote:So far you are the only one I know that went this route.
I'm another one :) ... Didn't have any reason to go with 10 Suite. If you decide to go this way, also take this detail into account, heh: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=229548

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:21 pm

Nokatus wrote:
I'm another one :) ... Didn't have any reason to go with 10 Suite. If you decide to go this way, also take this detail into account, heh: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=229548
Let me be a little pedantic as our differences would affect the Live 9 Suite to Live 10 Standard scenario kitekrazy describes.

Personally, my atypical scenario is that I sold my Live 9 Suite license, changed disks and bought Live 9 Standard, which later allowed me to install Live 10 Standard side-by-side.

You, on the other hand, did the update from 8 Suite to 10 Standard and as far as I understand keep them side-by-side, which is not identical in experience to Kitecrazy's scenario as you have version 8, not 9.

So actually, neither of us two have taken the exact route Kitecrazy is asking about.
Make some music!

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:32 pm

Stromkraft wrote:So actually, neither of us two have taken the exact route Kitecrazy is asking about.
Yeah. If you sold the Suite completely and then first bought that same version number as Standard, and so on, it seems my route is closer to the experience he's wondering about ("So who went with Standard after having the Suite?"). I upgraded straight to 10 Standard from a previous Suite version.

The manner in which my decision differs a lot, however, is me having all those separate licenses already on my account. I don't plan to use Live 8 Suite alongside 10 Standard, as I have everything I might need from 10 Suite already activated in 10 Standard as well. (Max for Live, Sampler, Operator, Analog, Collision/Corpus, Tension, Electric, Amp...) Out of the Suite stuff, I'm going to actively use only Max for Live and Sampler, and some of those other bits might come in handy very sporadically when doing sound design (Corpus...)

As you can't use that stuff in a Standard installation just by having a previous Suite version, kitekrazy, that's basically the rub. You will need to judge whether you are going to need/use some of the bits you don't have in Standard by default, and if so (and if still going with Standard in spite of that) will it be enough for your needs just to have the earlier Suite version handy -- it will work fine alongside the newer version, just remember it won't be able to open projects saved in that -- or will you get specific separate licenses for the additional parts you need, and activate them straight inside 10 Standard that way.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:55 pm

Nokatus wrote:
This was my major concern. In my perfect world I wish they would drop the Suite and sell only add ons. I know new releases rarely have a sale but I hope with other competitors offering sales (Cubase crossgrade at $255 at Sam Ash) that Live becomes more competitive in pricing. There's too many more affordable alternatives for a hobbyist.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:50 pm

Nokatus wrote:Out of the Suite stuff, I'm going to actively use only Max for Live and Sampler, and some of those other bits might come in handy very sporadically when doing sound design (Corpus...)
:mrgreen: Those in bold are the core value of Suite as I see it. But I forego Sampler as it still doesn't respect saved loops in my Sample library. Corpus is great fun, but I actually almost never used it since 2013. MFL I can't live without.
Make some music!