VST 2 coming to an end. - Steinberg

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
granted

VST 2 coming to an end. - Steinberg

Post by granted » Fri May 18, 2018 2:28 pm

Well maybe now Ableton will allow VST3 plugins. If Ableton had started working on this years ago then there wouldn't be a problem now.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandeve ... -4727.html

login

Re: VST 2 coming to an end. - Steinberg

Post by login » Fri May 18, 2018 2:50 pm

That doesn't mean VST2 will suddenly stop working or developers will stop making them, or DAW's supporting them.

I am going to bet the adoption of VST3 will remain as slow as it has been until today unless DAWs drop VST2 support.

granted

Post by granted » Fri May 18, 2018 3:53 pm

login wrote:That doesn't mean VST2 will suddenly stop working or developers will stop making them, or DAW's supporting them.

I am going to bet the adoption of VST3 will remain as slow as it has been until today unless DAWs drop VST2 support.
Yes, and that's what makes it so sad.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri May 18, 2018 6:36 pm

VST 2 compatibility with Steinberg VST hosts will remain
all is not lost.

granted

Post by granted » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:57 am

login wrote:That doesn't mean VST2 will suddenly stop working or developers will stop making them, or DAW's supporting them.

Guess you lost that bet.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:35 pm

granted wrote:

Guess you lost that bet.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:04 pm

That said even though Ableton is getting VST 3 now, it will be awhile before VST2 is fully phased out. A lot of heavy hitters (cough, cough NI) haven't even converted, and with the list of freeware plug-ins that probably never get converted to VST 3, there will always be a demand for VST 2, (as there is still some demand for older 32-bit plug-ins). I think the conversion is mainly for newer plug-ins to be VST3 compatible to support newer standards. Over time the big players will convert over.

I'm just happy we got VST3 because Ableton was getting in a weird position of not supporting certain plug-ins like Autotune.

granted

Post by granted » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:23 pm

jlgrimes wrote:That said even though Ableton is getting VST 3 now, it will be awhile before VST2 is fully phased out. A lot of heavy hitters (cough, cough NI) haven't even converted, and with the list of freeware plug-ins that probably never get converted to VST 3, there will always be a demand for VST 2, (as there is still some demand for older 32-bit plug-ins). I think the conversion is mainly for newer plug-ins to be VST3 compatible to support newer standards. Over time the big players will convert over.

I'm just happy we got VST3 because Ableton was getting in a weird position of not supporting certain plug-ins like Autotune.
I know, I had to "re-buy" autotune for UAD as a VST2.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:14 am

granted wrote:
jlgrimes wrote:That said even though Ableton is getting VST 3 now, it will be awhile before VST2 is fully phased out. A lot of heavy hitters (cough, cough NI) haven't even converted, and with the list of freeware plug-ins that probably never get converted to VST 3, there will always be a demand for VST 2, (as there is still some demand for older 32-bit plug-ins). I think the conversion is mainly for newer plug-ins to be VST3 compatible to support newer standards. Over time the big players will convert over.

I know, I had to "re-buy" autotune for UAD as a VST2.

Bummer.