Mac vs Windows 2018

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
H20nly

Re: Mac vs Windows 2018

Post by H20nly » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:13 pm

percentages, no....

it's probably hundreds of thousands of users though, if not more.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

messej

Post by messej » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:09 pm

The main thing that kills me going between Mac and Windows is the lack of horizontal scroll in Windows. It's so slow with the normal Shift + scroll that it's basically unusable in Windows. I searched for days on a way to fix it but nothing concrete. I might try a Magic Trackpad 2 in Windows and see if that works. I've heard they're still the best trackpad option even in Windows.

TLW

Post by TLW » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:31 pm

Having recently done an experimental boot camp Win10 install on a 2020 27” iMac I’d say scrolling is the least of the problems. Three or four days of it was more than enough, especially as a few games I have that worked on Win8.1 and would have liked to play again don’t work in Win10, which the developers have confirmed. So much for MS’s fabled “backwards compatibility” :-(

The magic touchpad does work in Windows so long as boot camp assistant has loaded the right drivers into the MS installation, but it’s a bit of a nuisance to use. Vertical scrolling is “backwards” compared to the Mac and one finger touches (left button click equivalent) are often interpreted by Windows as two-finger touches (right click equivalent).

For Windows use I’d get a Logitech trackball - I got horrible RSI from constant mouse use in a job I did 30 years ago where the custom application I used all day long had been coded by idiots who stupidly disabled the ability to tab between fields so everything had to be done with the mouse, and it’s never quite gone away. For me, it’s touch-pads or trackballs every time.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.