On what do you guys perform? eg tables, stands?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
McAnix

On what do you guys perform? eg tables, stands?

Post by McAnix » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:08 pm

I have a bunch of controllers, push, luanch control, apc mini, nano kontrols. Then there's my laptop, USB hub, and soundcard. I am about to join a band that is looking to integrate ableton into their set, I'm just trying to figure out a practical and nice looking solution.

Ideas?

Cheers.
Last edited by McAnix on Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spendthrift2

Re: On what do you guys perform? eg tables, stands?

Post by spendthrift2 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:55 pm

McAnix wrote:I have a bunch of controllers, push, luanch control, apc mini, nano kontrols. Then there's my laptop, USB hub, and soundcard. I am about to join a band that is looking to integrate ableton into their set, I'm just trying to looking to figure out a practical and nice looking solution.

Ideas?

Cheers.

I used to have a two-tiered keyboard/laptop stand. It was $99.99 or something. But with all those controllers, you will likely need to figure out something else; like card tables or something, lol. That's a lot of gear! 8O

How would you feel about just using tables instead of stands? I say this because the stands aren't that cheap. Best of luck! :wink:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:45 pm

I used a folding keyboard stand with a custom cut and painted piece of plywood for the top. Underneath I used those little brackets that hold conduit to a wall from a hardware store to attach the top to the keyboard stand. Custom sized to be just as big as I need, and collapsible to make it easy to carry.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:53 pm

Tarekith wrote:I used a folding keyboard stand with a custom cut and painted piece of plywood for the top. Underneath I used those little brackets that hold conduit to a wall from a hardware store to attach the top to the keyboard stand. Custom sized to be just as big as I need, and collapsible to make it easy to carry.
I was thinking of something similar.
spendthrift2 wrote:
How would you feel about just using tables instead of stands? I say this because the stands aren't that cheap. Best of luck! :wink:
Yeah, that's the thing stands are expensive, and setups change all the time. The band leader doesn't seem keen on having a table on stage though, he really want's everything to look pro and I understand where he's coming from but I'm sure there must be something out there that can work.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:09 pm

McAnix wrote:I have a bunch of controllers, push, luanch control, apc mini, nano kontrols. Then there's my laptop, USB hub, and soundcard. I am about to join a band that is looking to integrate ableton into their set, I'm just trying to figure out a practical and nice looking solution.

Ideas?

Cheers.
For a long while I used a setup from https://www.jaspers-alu.de/index.php?sprache=2

There are all kinds of parts to add for laptops, ipads, drum machines, etc

Like this.
https://www.jaspers-alu.de/artikelauswa ... oseite=100

But Im currently going for a minimal solution as all of that is a PITA to set up. If you have a crew and enough tech time to set up the stand, etc thats all fine but if not then ... Go simple!

twoheart

Post by twoheart » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:45 pm

For my Push I use one of these:

US.
https://www.amazon.com/Elekin-Adjustabl ... dpSrc=srch
in black of course.

DE:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07CZ9 ... UTF8&psc=1

Has what I need:
stable
non slippery
ultra mobile
cheap ($17)

timday

Post by timday » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:16 pm

I velcro everything to a plywood top to a keyboard stand that I made myself, and carry it all to gigs on one flight case. The flight case has bits of foam glued in the lid to stop it all moving about in transit. All I have to do is lift it onto the stand and plug it in. Saves about 20 minutes plugging stuff in which if you're in a gig with tight turnover times is a godsend for everyone concerned. Your bandmates, the promoter and the sound engineer will all be happy.

An alternative I've seen is to have everything inside a bass case or similar (again velcroed in) with a fully removable lid and just lift the lid off and put the case on the stand. Again the key is to save time plugging in cables that you can't see properly and that look differently coloured to normal because of stage lights. I can't emphasize this enough.