Suggestion: Lock threads after x amount of years

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.

Threads should be locked after some time

Yes, I agree that threads should be locked at some point.
50%
No, it's fine as it is.
50%

Total votes: 8

Stromkraft

Suggestion: Lock threads after x amount of years

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:32 pm

I think it would be more useful for members if threads were locked for new answers after some longer period, for instance three years. This would prevent revival of too old threads. that are seldom relevant for current situations. Which can happen by mistake or be intentional.

This wouldn't prevent anyone from starting a new thread and link to old discussions as background information.

The implementation could be made either with an end date since creation, or alternatively an end date since the last post. I'd prefer the latter myself. I'm assuming there exists a function that can be added to the server software, and if not, it could be developed.

What do you think? Do you agree, or not? Please vote how you feel. Thank you!
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

jestermgee

Re: Suggestion: Lock threads after x amount of years

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:45 pm

First, I don't think Ableton will do anything to enhance the forum boards, they want people using the "Answers" system. They haven't been updated in function for 8 years apart from the fancy new baby spew colour scheme we have now. Face it, forums are old school and kids these days don't know how to forum anyway.

There are sometimes valid revivals of an old thread tho, especially if it's an issue that can still affect a user and sometimes it's fun to pull up an old thread for a new discussion on a topic.

Maybe I don't catch every thread but I haven't seen too many old thread revivals that warrant a drastic action. My vote would be No, but I don't do polls.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:26 am

The forums are still a relevant source of information, it's one reason we now link people to them directly from within Live itself:

There's definitely a desire to update the forum as well, it's just not as easy as you would think for various reasons I won't go into. Hopefully we'll see those changes sooner rather than later. It's something I'm always pushing for personally, as I check the forums a lot from mobile devices.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:31 am

Would love to see some updates to the forum (especially the ability for users to post images directly to make things much easier).

When the Answers section was bought into effect the User Support area was closed at the same time and the forum link removed from the website. There was not an explanation to this so everyone has assumed it was to kind of get people onto "Answers" instead of forums but you cannot just browse that like a forum.

Shows how much I ever need to look in the Help menu, never knew it was linked there!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:33 am

Tarekith wrote: There's definitely a desire to update the forum as well…
Well, that feels good to know. Thanks for sharing.
Make some music!