Hold pedal

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Chapelm

Hold pedal

Post by Chapelm » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:25 pm

How do I apply this to piano roll and use it?? I have it under 64 under midi ctrl and I've slightly tried automating(don't get it 100%maybe).. just don't get it.

jestermgee

Re: Hold pedal

Post by jestermgee » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:32 pm

So a "Sustain Pedal".?

What is it connected to? What is the controller?

If it is programmed as a CC64 then it should be acting as a sustain without any further anything. If that is not happeniong, you have something wrong somewhere (not set correctly in your controller, not the correct polarity, not working physically at all)

Chapelm

Post by Chapelm » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:47 pm

Yes I need to increase sustain on my notes.. it's connected to grand piano, I have the envelope of 64 for hold pedal and I can make the notes go black and make a red breakpoint but that doesn't work, it might be not set in my controller.. idk I'm new to ableton, idk what polarity is.. thanks

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:45 am

Chapelm wrote:Yes I need to increase sustain on my notes.. it's connected to grand piano, I have the envelope of 64 for hold pedal and I can make the notes go black and make a red breakpoint but that doesn't work, it might be not set in my controller.. idk I'm new to ableton, idk what polarity is.. thanks
So you set a break point on the envelope, but then what did you do with the break point or the envelope? If you create a break point and it just sits there on a straight line envelope (or the envelope is just a horizontal line), then the break point (or envelope) is not accomplishing anything.

Make a few break points and move the envelope sections up or down between the break points.

A sustain pedal is usually an ON/OFF operation, so try having the cc64 envelope at 0 (all the way down) on some notes and 127 (all the way up) on other notes. That way you will be sure that the cc64 control is sending the right ON/OFF signals and you will be able to hear if the sustain is being turned on and off.

If it's still not working having done the above, then you know that the problem is somewhere else.

Chapelm

Post by Chapelm » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:41 pm

The problem is somewhere else

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:47 am

So what ends up in a recording where you use this pedal?
Make some music!

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:12 am

CC 64 sustains the MIDI Note, not the sound.

If the instrument is a sampler playing a sample one-shot without looping, then it will just play that sound once.

MIDI CC 64 in most piano presets will just make the sound last longer (not the hammer sound, but after that, which is a lot less loud, almost like a reverb).
♥♥♥

Chapelm

Post by Chapelm » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:29 pm

make the note last throughout the time it's being played on the piano roll, applying breakpoints haven't worked, unless I'm missing something like the red dot next to cc 64 (if that means anything)

pottering

Post by pottering » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:11 pm

The red dot means it has automation or MIDI CC recorded.

Again: It is the instrument you are using, not the MIDI CC or the length of the notes. You are using a instrument that doesn't have sustain (at least not enough for your tastes).
♥♥♥

Chapelm

Post by Chapelm » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:09 am

Interesting.... thank you