Macbook Pro i9

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
hairyhero

Macbook Pro i9

Post by hairyhero » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:37 pm

does anybody here owns Macbook Pro 2018 i9?
i would wanna know if it runs well with Ableton after the update fix,
according to these video editing people it has throttling issues when rendering and im wondering does it happens the same to DAW/music production?
am i better off with i7 cuz i just ordered i9 model :(
Thanks!

[erm]
Site Admin

Re: Macbook Pro i9

Post by [erm] » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:58 pm

Please just post your questions once, no need to post in multiple forums. Thanks.
Ableton Forum Administrator

soundremedy

Post by soundremedy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:08 pm

just get the i7 model. you aren't going to get any big gains from the i9. i currently use the 6 core i7 model with the 8750h and it works incredibly. the i9 is too powerful to be cooled in the chassey the macbook pro has so you're not going to get any gains. it's definitely not worth it.

jamief

Post by jamief » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:12 pm

I have i9 32Gb 2TB runs perfect

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:03 am

It's not stated it does not run well, it is stated that it does not gain any more power a i7 does.....Heat dissapation can be a real problem!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

hairyhero

Post by hairyhero » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:40 am

jamief wrote:I have i9 32Gb 2TB runs perfect
what previous machine did you have tho?
and how long did u have the i9?
the thing is i live in a really hot country and don't know if it will be a problem
but good to hear that there is i9 user out there, replying at least... lol
so any pointers or advice i should know?

hairyhero

Post by hairyhero » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:40 am

[erm] wrote:Please just post your questions once, no need to post in multiple forums. Thanks.
sorry buddy
as you can see im still new to it and don't know how these forums system works :/

hairyhero

Post by hairyhero » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:42 am

miyaru wrote:It's not stated it does not run well, it is stated that it does not gain any more power a i7 does.....Heat dissapation can be a real problem!
will the heat cause the problem to perform even worst than i7?

hairyhero

Post by hairyhero » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:49 am

soundremedy wrote:just get the i7 model. you aren't going to get any big gains from the i9. i currently use the 6 core i7 model with the 8750h and it works incredibly. the i9 is too powerful to be cooled in the chassey the macbook pro has so you're not going to get any gains. it's definitely not worth it.
will it perform worst tho?
and how is i7 2018 compare to previous years?
since im ordering i9 with my younger friend's student discount which is expiring in the end of Aug and if i return and re-purchase i won't get any discount no more :/

i'm a fan of your music btw!!
Last edited by hairyhero on Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:33 am

hairyhero wrote:
soundremedy wrote:just get the i7 model. you aren't going to get any big gains from the i9. i currently use the 6 core i7 model with the 8750h and it works incredibly. the i9 is too powerful to be cooled in the chassey the macbook pro has so you're not going to get any gains. it's definitely not worth it.
will it perform worst tho?
since im ordering i9 with my younger friend's student discount which is expiring in the end of Aug and if i return and re-purchase i won't get any discount no more :/

i'm a fan of your music btw!!
it probably won't be worse than the 2.6 GHz i7, but i don't think it is worth the extra $$$ for the minor performance gains that you will sometimes get. if your workspace is hot then that also has an impact—at the very least i recommend using a cooler stand that has fans.

hairyhero

Post by hairyhero » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:15 am

fishmonkey wrote:
it probably won't be worse than the 2.6 GHz i7, but i don't think it is worth the extra $$$ for the minor performance gains that you will sometimes get. if your workspace is hot then that also has an impact—at the very least i recommend using a cooler stand that has fans.
thanks!
i f***ed up haha, and im living in Thailand so i guess its gonna be a problem
was getting discount so i thought i should maxed out since i already have i7 2012 MBP, esp after the update patch fix and these benchmark results
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:07 am

hairyhero wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:
thanks!
was getting discount so i thought i should maxed out since i already have i7 2012 MBP, esp after the update patch fix and these benchmark results
yeah, it gets pretty hot where i am in summer, and i don't have air conditioning. that is one of the reasons why i didn't go for the i9.

hairyhero

Post by hairyhero » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:32 pm

fishmonkey wrote:
hairyhero wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:
thanks!
yeah, it gets pretty hot where i am in summer, and i don't have air conditioning. that is one of the reasons why i didn't go for the i9.
do external hardware(synth, push) and audio interface with studio monitors adds on the heat?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:44 pm

hairyhero wrote: do external hardware(synth, push) and audio interface with studio monitors adds on the heat?
audio interface with monitors, no. most external hardware, no; however Push uses some CPU power to drive the display, so that generates some heat.

Artcutech

Post by Artcutech » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:56 am

I bought the 2018 32gb i9 and opened up a maxed out midi arrangement, fan came on almost right away, so I returned it and bought an iMac pro 8 core 64gb ram and that thing runs anything I throw at it smoothly