Macbook Pro i9

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
hairyhero

Re: Macbook Pro i9

Post by hairyhero » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:42 am

Artcutech wrote:I bought the 2018 32gb i9 and opened up a maxed out midi arrangement, fan came on almost right away, so I returned it and bought an iMac pro 8 core 64gb ram and that thing runs anything I throw at it smoothly
is it same with other i7 2018 models?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:06 am

hairyhero wrote:
Artcutech wrote:I bought the 2018 32gb i9 and opened up a maxed out midi arrangement, fan came on almost right away, so I returned it and bought an iMac pro 8 core 64gb ram and that thing runs anything I throw at it smoothly
is it same with other i7 2018 models?
every high-power laptop on the market will have fan noise if you push it.

Artcutech

Post by Artcutech » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:17 pm

I’m not sure hairy hero, but I know the i9 really likes to heat up

fishmonkey wrote:
Makes sense, but with 32gb of ram and 6-cores I really thought it would have held up better, and I’ve heard from a lot of people that the i9 does heat up more than normal, definitely happy going for the iMac pro 8 core 64gb ram and no longer dealing with heat and fan noise, I use my old MBP i5 8gb of ram for serato and more forgiving sustain loads

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:01 pm

Artcutech wrote:and I’ve heard from a lot of people that the i9 does heat up more than normal
for sure the i9 is a hot chip, hotter than the i7s.

hairyhero

Post by hairyhero » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:06 am

Artcutech wrote:I’m not sure hairy hero, but I know the i9 really likes to heat up

fishmonkey wrote:
Makes sense, but with 32gb of ram and 6-cores I really thought it would have held up better, and I’ve heard from a lot of people that the i9 does heat up more than normal, definitely happy going for the iMac pro 8 core 64gb ram and no longer dealing with heat and fan noise, I use my old MBP i5 8gb of ram for serato and more forgiving sustain loads
yea thats what i thought too, i got the i9, its working fine right now despite the fan thing cuz i use Mac fan control and crank it up
but i don't know what abt the long run on how it affects lifespan and will it gets even hotter in a few years later. Unfortunately with student discount that expired on the day i ordered with spec upgraded, i can't return. Even complained abt 2 weeks policy but i guess it doesn't apply to jointed campus distributor in 3rd world country....

and congrats on iMac pro btw! i would love to buy it but im still doing music as a hobby atm, so i would rather have portable machine since my 2012 is aging
can u test out how many maxed out voice Serums can it run on Ableton?