The new Novation SL MKIII

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
sporkles

The new Novation SL MKIII

Post by sporkles » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:50 pm

Looks kind of cool, but whyyyyy with the faders? Why not something dynamic, like touch strips that could follow along as you move around the set? I'd prefer motorised faders, but I imagine that would have raised the price immediately, so I'd be happy to give eight touch strips a chance.

Machinesworking

Re: The new Novation SL MKIII

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:48 am

sporkles wrote:Looks kind of cool, but whyyyyy with the faders? Why not something dynamic, like touch strips that could follow along as you move around the set? I'd prefer motorised faders, but I imagine that would have raised the price immediately, so I'd be happy to give eight touch strips a chance.
It's possible touch strips are pretty expensive too I guess?

I think it looks great, curious as to if it uses Automap? I would guess not. Should check Novations site out...

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:56 pm

Maybe they’re playing it safe. The mkii was a really nice device, despite having absolute shit drum pads and a useless touchpad. The touchpad on the mkii would’ve been nice but for some reason it functioned like shit and felt really bad to slide your finger across.

Still, I like the idea of the touch faders too. I would think that today they’d be a lot better at figuring that out.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:24 am

There's a funny moment on the sonic state video where Gaz asks the Novation dude about the sliders and he seems perturbed by the unexpected question and then struggles to use them until he realises they are in pickup mode.

And he's the demonstrator.

This is why good rotary encoders beat dumb sliders.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:55 am

Use relative mode and non-motorized sliders work perfectly except in two cases:

1. slider at max, current parameter is at min

2. slider at min, current parameter at max