Macbook advice please

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Suede Subway

Macbook advice please

Post by Suede Subway » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:49 pm

Hi

I'm thinking of switching from an HP Laptop to a Macbook. I still travel a lot both for work and for play, and would like to do some work with Live while on the move.

In order to get the best out of Live would a MacBook Pro offer any significant gain over a MacBook Air 13 (new model).

Ian
Ian
Suede Subway and the Runes

Set up: Home Built Quad Core, 4 x HDD, 2gb Ram, XP,Presonus Firebox, KRK Rokit 5, Novation SL49 Mk III; Live 9, various plug ins, Yamaha Mixer - using Live as a Singer/Songwriter.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Macbook advice please

Post by [jur] » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:06 pm

Hey Ian,
There's already hundreds of threads about that topic. Would you mind using the search function please?
thx
Ableton Forum Moderator

Suede Subway

Post by Suede Subway » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:00 pm

I did, actually. There are a lot of threads re

- heat
- small SSD
- pros of Win 7 v Win 10

but I was thinking in terms of comparison of a Macbook v the Macbook Pro. The Pro appears to offer more connectivity, but is heavier and on the face of it, performance suffers slightly.

As it's my first foray into the Mac world I didn't think it be an unwarranted question; had I found an answer I wouldn't have asked the question.

Maybe you could go and be sanctimoniouse somewhere else, and leave people the freedom of choice whether they wish to engage with the question or not.

thx!
Ian

Set up: Home Built Quad Core, 4 x HDD, 2gb Ram, XP,Presonus Firebox, KRK Rokit 5, Novation SL49 Mk III; Live 9, various plug ins, Yamaha Mixer - using Live as a Singer/Songwriter.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:02 am

I don't want to get into a debate now; I was just trying to encourage you to not to post without searching for in the first time, especially regarding computers' questions. Sorry but that's part of my job here. Anyway.

That's just my opinion, but I wouldn't encourage you to (even just partially) switch to Mac.
I've personally never had a windows machine so I'm terrible with a pc, and I love osx... but that's just an habit.
Apple has become horribly expensive, and they're machines' specs aren't that competitive anymore, you can't upgrade them anymore as everything is glued (I'm still using a 2011 mpb where every important parts are upgradable easily)...
I'm afraid about the idea to have to switch to and learn windows at some point, but I can hardly imagine buying an apple machine anymore. I'll probably go hackintosh, until Live and Max run on Linux (dreaming!!).
So, you're used to windows, keep on using windows.

my 2cts.
Ableton Forum Moderator

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:14 am

If you read older threads, you have seen the debate Mac vs WinPC. Both have their strong points. I won't start that debate again, but I'm happy with my winPC..... But if I would buy a Mac, it would be MBP!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Suede Subway

Post by Suede Subway » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:53 am

Thanks Miyaru

But it's more a tale of two Macs; I read more about the specs last night, and I can't decide whether the MacBook pro offers significanly improved performace to justify the extra money, particularly in relation to the new MacBook Air. The screen size is bigger on the Pro, but if I do use the machine at home I'll probably have a monitor attached to it anyhow.

I'm probably going to make the switch to some kind of Macbook anyway, mainly because I'm so sick of Win 10; my main studio machine still runs Win 7 Pro, and is very stable. However, I've no doubt that eventually Microsoft will stop supporting it, just as they did XP (which also worked more efficiently than Win10).

Jur - I can see the issues with Mac in terms of price, and the point you made about "glued" is very valid. But if I'm reading the Mac site correctly, doesn't that also depend on what Mac you buy in the first place i.e. aren't some more "upgradeable" than others.....seems like a minefield.

The Linux dream is a good one!

Ian
Ian

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:55 pm

Look like the new mac mini has user upgradable ram... And people are praising for a "modular" mac pro for years.
Otherwise mac aren't user customisable anymore, you need to customise when you buy from apple where a 1tb ssd costs 400$... Even if you have the money, then you're stuck with this configuration. You can't even replace the battery if it fails!
If you really want to buy a mac laptop don't go for the macbook air, it shouldn't be good for more than surfing the web.
Go for the most powerful mbp you can afford.
But again, it's a mistake to enter the mac world in 2018 imho.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Jabbon

Post by Jabbon » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:22 pm

I agree with Jur, just to say, I got my first Mac in 1998... last yaer I switched to PC after testing. IMO microsoft surface pro is amazing. but since the Q is to go or not with a MPB, then the answer is clear, yes, forget the air.
sound spatialization content & technologies @ audit-orium.com