Intel nuc bean canyon with Live 10

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Garmrocker

Intel nuc bean canyon with Live 10

Post by Garmrocker » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi!

Has anybody here tried using an Intel Nuc Bean Canyon i7 or i5 with Live 10? I’m thinking about buying one but there are about zero reviews about using it for music production.
Last edited by Garmrocker on Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Garmrocker

Re: Intel nuc bean canyon with Live 10

Post by Garmrocker » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:54 pm

Apparently not... :-)

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:17 pm

Short answer is those mini PCs aren't always the best for real time audio type work. It's more of an office PC or media centre/server system etc. It may struggle with power if you started to throw synths at it.

Unless you have money to spare to experiment i'd take the lack of feedback and available info on the subject as a subtle warning that it may not be a good solution.

Garmrocker

Post by Garmrocker » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:17 pm

I figured since it's got the same processor as a 13" Macbook Pro and got good benchmark results it should be ok.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:16 pm

Depends what you want to do. Don't forget the spec of the processor is only half the story. It would be using integrated graphics which would load the CPU a bit and I would guess there is little room in there to manage good thermal dissipation so especially if the thing starts to warm up it will throttle quite badly which will kill an audio application. It's not designed for this kind of purpose but would easily manage playing videos, browsing the web etc.

Not to say it wouldn't work for something but I wouldn't expect to run anything major on it, maybe a couple of synths would work.