All times are UTC

Post subject: New Apple machine with 8th Gen i7 (Mac mini) running badly
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:31 pm 

Hi all,

I upgraded my 2012 rMBP i7 to a nice new 2018 six core i7 Mac mini, in the hope that those sessions that would put it to the limit will gain some headroom, and the I can run heavier plugins, such as the Acustica ones.

So my setup is: Mac mini 2018 8th gen i7 (3.2>4.6ghz), 512gb inbuilt SSD, 8GB RAM, external USB3 library drive, Focusrite Clarett 2pre connected via Thunderbolt. OS is Mojave, no choice in that, and is freshly installed (i.e. no migration).

Live 10, frankly, runs poorly. I have to set my interface at 512 samples (12.4ms, 23.9 round trip), sometimes 1024 / 2048 samples to stop the pops. Even then it still has pops and crackles on occasion. That's pretty lame for a new machine with a fast interface. I don't know what part is at fault here, the hardware or the software.

In terms of running plugins, I had Massive playing chords followed by Molekular and a big wash reverb effect, and that needed to go from 512 to 1024 to stop glitches. The only other thing loaded was Xenoverb on a send. This seems unusually poor performance. Weirdly though my system's CPU meter (iStat) shows most cores at under 50% CPU at any given time.

I know Live isn't Mojave qualified yet, and I know some people are having issues with T2 based Macs and audio. However I can run plenty in Reaper - even Acustica stuff - and it doesn't crap out nearly as quick.

Anyone else using either the new Mac mini or the 2018 MBPs doing better than me?

Post subject: Re: New Apple machine with 8th Gen i7 (Mac mini) running badly
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:06 pm 

…that doesn‘t sound normal…when have you set it up?…maybe the ssd is still indexing?…

Post subject: Re: New Apple machine with 8th Gen i7 (Mac mini) running badly
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:45 am 

Hi gunark,

Any update on your issue?