Bitwig 3. Wow.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
chapelier fou

Bitwig 3. Wow.

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:37 pm

I'm not saying I'll quit using Live !
Just saying, I'm officially buying Bitwig.
https://www.bitwig.com/
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Bitwig 3. Wow.

Post by [jur] » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:58 pm

Looks quite rad indeed!
Ableton Forum Moderator

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:47 pm

I'm a bit skint at the moment but that modular thingy is EXACTLY the sort of thing I love to waste hours on

It looks nice too, nice design, modern and fresh looking boxes and wires. Reaktor sort of lost its way, I love VCV Rack but if I were to have any criticism of it at all I'd say it's quite skeuomorphic.
This Bitwig grid has a real good clean modern looking vector design that seems like it has very nice functions.

The test of any software modular is always : how much can be achieved for what resources

Like, it says : Any signal, anywhere , 4x-oversampled, stereo signal path

Now, my experience with using MANY soft-modulars tells me that with feedback routings the calculation paths at 4x sample rate can get quite expensive. So, I'm curious to see what can actually be achieved with this.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:32 am

The new modular thing reminds me of my beloved Buzz tracker from my early 2000s. Still one of the best FREE DAWs out there IMO, especially if you love the style of tracking.

Ah the memories.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:01 am

I'm one of those weird people who just doesn't need that much control over my tools I've learned. That's crazy indepth and powerful, but I'd spend more time messing about versus actually getting stuff done I have a feeling. :lol:

Still, I know this was a big part of their initial hype, nice to see it happen for those that were waiting.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

oxygen23

Post by oxygen23 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:41 am

Tarekith wrote:I'm one of those weird people who just doesn't need that much control over my tools I've learned. That's crazy indepth and powerful, but I'd spend more time messing about versus actually getting stuff done I have a feeling. :lol:

Still, I know this was a big part of their initial hype, nice to see it happen for those that were waiting.
I completely agree with you, it's for my own good not to mess deeply with that stuff as I would spend 90% of the time fiddling with grid instead of finishing tracks.
It's overkill for me, even with current amount of modulators and possibilities in version 2.4 (usually LFO, Audio Sidechain and Envelope mods are sufficient for me ), and grid in version 3 will be Pandora's box for me.

Still, there are some stuff which I prefer in Bitwig over Live, like easy dragging regions on the bottom part for endless loop (Logic style), full audio editing in bottom view editor and crazy good browser where you can load plugins, presets and samples/loops temporarily just to try and play before confirming.
I think Bitwig's browser alone, with all it's possibilities and customization is miles ahead of Live's browser and major advantage over Live for normal, linear usage of daw for composing and arranging.

Live's strengths over Bitwig, for everyday work, IMHO, are more streamlined (limited?) workflow, better (easier) automation handling, slicing in Simpler and somewhat better/more useful built-in plugins (but ones in Bitwig are not much behind).

Anyway, I have no doubt Bitwig 3 will be a game-changer on marketplace which is also good for Live users as it will wake up Ableton development team from deep sleep and they will have to get more serious about innovating Live :D

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:46 am

I don't need another DAW, I don't need another DAW, I don't need another DAW, I don't need another DAW, I don't need another DAW, I don't need another DAW, I don't need another DAW, I don't need another DAW, I don't need another DAW.

Dammit! :D

No seriously, I don't but this looks like the DAW they were talking about what? four years ago? Lots of happy Bitwig users, and I have to say, it's a lot more compelling looking to work in than M4L. The big question is are they allowing users to access the whole of Bitwig like Max is unable to? I kind of doubt it from that preview but you never know?

I'm happy in Live, Reaper, and DP... really. :x

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:03 am

For those of you that don't want to move across to Bitwig to have this kind of functionality...

https://vimeo.com/311859699

Cheers
D

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:37 pm

What the ??
All gen~ based ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:41 pm

S4racen wrote:For those of you that don't want to move across to Bitwig to have this kind of functionality...

Cheers
D

Did I see a "Audio Out" there?

Awesome.

I thought it was going to be "only" (crazy) automation.

I guess Live 9 compatibility means no Max 8 shift+drag?

Well, it seems to have other patching tricks there.
Last edited by pottering on Wed May 22, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♥♥♥

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:51 pm

chapelier fou wrote:What the ??
All gen~ based ?
Many different techniques to reduce the CPU etc....

Cheers
D

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:52 pm

pottering wrote:
S4racen wrote:For those of you that don't want to move across to Bitwig to have this kind of functionality...

Cheers
D

Did I see a "Audio Out" there?

Awesome.

I thought it was going to be only (crazy) automation.

I guess Live 9 compatibility means no Max 8 shift+drag?

Well, it seems to have other patching tricks there.
Yep, Audio Out!!

And of course Audio In....

It needs Max 8.0.2 as a minimum....

Cheers
D

Amythofficial

Post by Amythofficial » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:49 pm

Mr. Bill has moved to Bitwig BTW.

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:53 am

Does Bitwig support sysex any better than Live does? Live's ability to communicate with hardware via Sysex is really poor. You can really only do it via Max which is such a clunky way of having to do it. And unless things have changed over the last year since 10 came out you have to chew up two channels for send and receive. I logged a bug about it with Ableton not long after Live 10 came out and nothing has come of it.

That coupled with Live's poor support of making it easy to quickly save control maps for VSTs and save them in bulk is enough to make me think about heading back to Cubase. Having to save each preset with its map one at a time is absolutely insane from a user's point of view. If the developers at the company I worked for suggested a workflow like that for our clients (engineers), I'd read them the riot act.

Steinberg had this stuff sorted 20 years ago.