How to route audio during a live screenshare/video chat?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
SK Doop

How to route audio during a live screenshare/video chat?

Post by SK Doop » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:11 am

I've been trying this all day and I cant figure it out. Tried multiple screen sharing services but I cant get ableton to share audio with the other person in the call. when i play videos from youtube the person can hear them but not audio from ableton itself. Does anyone have any tips on getting ableton to share audio? I even tried obs but it wont recognize any audio coming from ableton, but it will pickup the other persons audio from the call.
Please help, if you have any ideas i'd definitely be willing to try them!

jestermgee

Re: How to route audio during a live screenshare/video chat?

Post by jestermgee » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:21 am

Reason is probably because you are using the ASIO driver in Live which only supports a 1:1 connection, no middle man software can grab the audio.

You could try use the direct audio driver tho that may cause hiccups. The way I do it when I record a tutorial or something is to send the audio out of a set of outputs on my card (3/4) then loop that through my mixer and back into a set of inputs along with my Mic which I then set as the audio source for another application.

Angstrom

Re: How to route audio during a live screenshare/video chat?

Post by Angstrom » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:00 am

Often a decent audio card will have a loopback facility in its software mixer. I have a fireface and it has the ability to route an output to an input. That might sound wrong but these are virtual inputs. so it's going
Ableton out-> stereo1/2out ---> (duped to) -> Fireface 5/6 in to 5/6 out.
Then the 5/6 is routed to the Broadcast software, as a submix.

hope that makes sense.