Live 10.1

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
jonbenderr

Re: Live 10.1

Post by jonbenderr » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:56 am

Am I alone in not caring for the way arrangement still shows the grid in spaces where there is no midi or audio track?

Everything else is great. I like the ability to easily export separate tracks. Makes doing a quick and dirty master of a collection of tracks a lot easier.

triant

Post by triant » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:02 am

anyone know when this is slated to drop? my auto-update hasn't happened yet and the ableton website download page is still showing 10.0.6.

jonbenderr

Post by jonbenderr » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:08 am

https://ableton.centercode.com

10.1 is only in beta right now. You can sign up and try it out if you want.

Give some feedback and report bugs if you can come up with anything.
Last edited by jonbenderr on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:09 am

Have you been to centercode page? I have been there tomorrow and downloaded 10.1 beta.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:02 pm

miyaru wrote:Have you been to centercode page? I have been there tomorrow and downloaded 10.1 beta.
While you're there tomorrow, can you get me the Euromillion results please? :wink:

chrk

Post by chrk » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:10 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
miyaru wrote:Have you been to centercode page? I have been there tomorrow and downloaded 10.1 beta.
While you're there tomorrow, can you get me the Euromillion results please? :wink:

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:12 pm

Awesome update! Like like like.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:57 pm

This is a great update, happy to see it. AKAI with MPC2 is killing it update wise and I was starting to think that Ableton were resting on their laurels! :)
[jur] wrote:
hps909 wrote:finally vst 3 support ..

can we have a scissor tool next please
A scissor tool ??? I never understood the point of it and why every DAWs are still using such outdated implementation. Just click on your clip where you want to cut it, and press cmd+E...
Lol at the hyperbole! I can see the point of selectable tools, and it is a funny halfway point sometimes the way Live has limited key commands, but for specific items like cutting a clip, a key command is the only way? Plus, compared to some DAWs this is really limited, click dragging randomly slices the MIDI clip, no relation to the quantize settings or grid values in either the clip or the Arrangement. Compare that to other scissor tools that allow slicing of audio or MIDI based on the grid etc.

I don't find the request for a scissor tool to be that weird, and calling something outdated only works if the new feature is more extensive and easier to understand, which I can't agree that command E qualifies for. On the other hand devaluing VST3 support as "finally" is 100% worth derision. It's coming in DP10 as well at around the same time, but it's coming in a paid upgrade. In fact I can't think of one other DAW that introduced VST3 support as a free update?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:11 pm

Hey Machinesworking,
Yeah, it might sound like I'm exaggerating, I reckon.
Still, personally, I can't stand the complexity of selectable tools in other DAWs and I think Live's really ahead in terms of the simplicity/efficiency ratio. One single pointer with context dependant tools, period. I love this so much!
Just implement cmd+E to work on midi notes and voilà!
:roll:
Ableton Forum Moderator

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:47 pm

[jur] wrote:Hey Machinesworking,
Yeah, it might sound like I'm exaggerating, I reckon.
Still, personally, I can't stand the complexity of selectable tools in other DAWs and I think Live's really ahead in terms of the simplicity/efficiency ratio. One single pointer with context dependant tools, period. I love this so much!
Just implement cmd+E to work on midi notes and voilà!
:roll:
We will have to disagree about that. IMO simplicity at it's best would be Ableton's time stretching algorithms and the UX of it all. At it's worst would probably be it's pitch, give me Melodyne any day of the week over what we have native in Live right now. :x

To be fair the slice tool VS Command E is somewhere in the middle, it's easier, but it's not better, so I can't call it an improvement.

My main point is you went after the whining about a tool the user would like to see improved, but ignored the privileged attitude about VST3 support, blowing it off like it was a given it would be free? when I'm gonna be paying for that feature in DP! :( :x :lol: :lol:

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:11 pm

Nice update! I look forward to it. I'm excited about the new automation features. I'll be typing in automation breakpoint values like there's no tomorrow. The Simple Delay / Ping Pong merger was kind of a no-brainer too.

Post by 102455 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:31 pm

No WASAPI support? It's been around since Windows Vista (2006).

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:33 pm

Love the update. Ableton is feeling really polished and professional now.

Can someone explain the Channel EQ? Why is it needed? It seems to be overly dumbed down. I'd much rather something useful like another level control in the Mixer Section to automate rather than having to automate the volume level or stick in a Utility. That annoyance arises every hour, and throughout the mixing process.

Regarding scissor tool: I like things like that. So many times you want to just cut something but you are in some wrong mode or something and it selects the whole clip or adds a midi note or something, rather than placing the cursor where you want to make the cut. Etcetera.

Oh, they should have three export options - with master, with returns, with both.

timday

Post by timday » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:28 am

I'm going to pitch in against the scissor tool. Logic with its multiple pointless toolbars does my head in. cmd+E or swipe drag does everything you need.

Did someone mention there is a Live 10.1 or something?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:22 am

timday wrote:I'm going to pitch in against the scissor tool. Logic with its multiple pointless toolbars does my head in. cmd+E or swipe drag does everything you need.
Here swipe drag does weird things. That was the point to me. I couldn't care whether the curser turns to a little scissor or not, but it would be nice to have swipe drag throw out quantized slices like in other DAWs with fancy toolsets. I swipe drag as of now and it very randomly slices the MIDI or audio...

Anyway it's a great update. Again I was just commenting to say we should be thankful that VST3 support isn't being saved for a paid upgrade, and that's something to celebrate! Arguing over UX level requests is sort of pointless, Ableton gonna do Ableton. :x