Ableton disabled my license - What to do?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Spillby

Ableton disabled my license - What to do?

Post by Spillby » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:49 pm

About two weeks ago I bought a used License for Live 10 Suite from someone on this forum. But after a week I noticed that the License had been removed from my account. I contacted Ableton, and they said that the transaction to buy the original License from Ableton.com has been reported as unauthorized by the cardholder. So they just disabled the License. I have no License any more, and my Money is gone :(

I paid with a credit card through PayPal, so I hope I have some protection there. But it's a bit complex, because the guy I bought it from had bought it used himself. So he has probably not done anything wrong.

What would you do to recover the money?

S4racen

Re: Ableton disabled my license - What to do?

Post by S4racen » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:16 pm

Your only hope is PayPal, I hope you used the paying for goods option rather than the sending money to friends and family option...
Cheers
D

Spillby

Post by Spillby » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:35 am

Yes, I did. The paying for goods option.

Spillby

Post by Spillby » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:08 am

Ableton didn't do anything to tell me that they had deleted the license, until I contacted them myself. I just discovered it randomly, because I was not able to install more packs. But the software itself is still working. If I hadn't been browsing for packs, I wouldn't have seen yet that the license is gone.

So I good idea if you buy a used license, may be to check once in a while that you still have it. At least do it a few days before the time limit for PayPal buyer protection runs out.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:37 pm

What does it mean? Are you suspecting the 1st license cardholder? When did this original buy happened?
Ableton Forum Moderator

Spillby

Post by Spillby » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:14 pm

I don't know. We are contacting the 1st owner of the license now, to hear if he/she knows what happened.

Spillby

Post by Spillby » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:05 pm

It ended well. The seller has refunded me, and he will also get a refund from the first license owner.

I didn't know Ableton could disable a license a long time after purchase. On Reddit.com there is a thread about someone who lost his second hand license after more than a year. And PayPal's buyer protection only lasts for 60 days. So maybe it's not worth the risk to buy it second hand after all.

Now I'm thinking about buying it from thomann.de instead. They sell licenses 16% cheaper than Ableton itself. Anyone have experience with Thomann?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:42 pm

Honestly, the risk with the 2nd hand is almost inexistant. Of course it can happen, as you've experienced it, but if I were you I'll go for another 2nd hand anyway.
Ableton Forum Moderator