iCloud Sync Problem

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
Nurkomusic

iCloud Sync Problem

Post by Nurkomusic » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:31 am

So I use Ableton live 10. My Mac is constantly syncing to iCloud Drive which I don’t want it to. It’s slowing down the production process in Ableton, making it constantly freeze and slow down. The solution would be to stop iCloud from syncing, but once I do that. It creates some kind of archive folder for all of my desktops and documents. That would be fine, but once I open Ableton - it now says “media files are missing” and the majority of my projects are gone, samples. This happened once before. And I had to manually click on every file I needed and re download everything from iCloud Drive. Essentially reinstalling all of my samples. I’m trying to prevent this from happening so is there anyway I can have iCloud stop syncing without changing anything on my computer in regards to Ableton?

Artcutech

Re: iCloud Sync Problem

Post by Artcutech » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:48 am

Nurkomusic wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:31 am
So I use Ableton live 10. My Mac is constantly syncing to iCloud Drive which I don’t want it to. It’s slowing down the production process in Ableton, making it constantly freeze and slow down. The solution would be to stop iCloud from syncing, but once I do that. It creates some kind of archive folder for all of my desktops and documents. That would be fine, but once I open Ableton - it now says “media files are missing” and the majority of my projects are gone, samples. This happened once before. And I had to manually click on every file I needed and re download everything from iCloud Drive. Essentially reinstalling all of my samples. I’m trying to prevent this from happening so is there anyway I can have iCloud stop syncing without changing anything on my computer in regards to Ableton?
wow, that sounds extremely annoying. So I use Live 9(haven't upgraded to 10 yet) and I also use iCloud, but I never back up my desktop and anything thats unnecessary. I save all of my Ableton arrangements on an external SSD drive, which I think would allow you to bypass anything thats going on with your I cloud back up, also theres a Collect all and save under FILE which will automatically save all your samples into the arrangement folder, they will no longer be missing, or at least shouldn't be

you can also change your temp folder under preferences/file folder, but not sure if you can I use an external drive for that, haven't tried it

EDIT: Do you like syncing everything to iCloud? not sure if thats a priority for you but it's really simple I believe to only choose what you want to sync or back up, unless you have to back up everything all the time, that definitely could cause some problems, but using an external drive and collect all and save might solve your problem

Artcutech

Re: iCloud Sync Problem

Post by Artcutech » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:46 am

Nurkomusic wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:31 am
My Mac is constantly syncing to iCloud Drive which I don’t want it to.
just re-read and saw this, go to Apple icon, open system preferences, go to iCloud, right there you'll have the option of choosing what you want to sync, also click on the options bar to the right of iCloud drive and start unchecking what you don't want to sync, i.e. desktop and documents folder and so on